Top 3 Fears

eastcoastrider27

• 2 weeks later...

1. A death I can see coming but am unable to do anything about: for example, aggressive cancer, falling off a building, drowning, etc. Death itself doesn't scare me as long as it happens after I'm 40 and doesn't hurt and doesn't look me in the face before it kicks my ass (if I die in my sleep or get instantly vapourized by a gas main explosion what's to be scared about?)

2. Loss of loved ones. I'm sentimental and I don't get over shit like that easily. The only people I've ever lost are a great grandmother (at 105), a great uncle (don't remember his age & we weren't close), and a high school teacher (who was awesome so it made me sad, even though it was after I graduated).

3. Failing utterly or living a meaningless life that won't be remembered by anyone.

I used to be afraid of heights, large spiders/centipedes, and talking or doing just about anything in front of lots of people, but I've gotten over all of those.

earthquakes

heights

falling

Despite my fear of heights, I've always liked mountain climbing. Once my friends and I spent the night in the lookout on Three Fingers Mountain: db_Three_Fingers__Lookout_0300606-3.jpg

In the 20s they blasted the top fifteen feet off the mountain to make room for the lookout, and still the sides of the building overhang the mountaintop a few inches.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep a wink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
dying in a situation relating to fire

getting divorced (not even married yet)

fathering a child with a handicap (of any sort)

It strikes me that 3) could very well lead to 2)...

Err for me it's:

1) Dying in a state of confusion and fear. Conversely, a slow or a quick death is fine, as long as I'm aware of what's going on.

2) Radical or greatly disfiguring surgery, eg to remove large bits of brain or bone, nose, eyes jaw etc.

3) Death of a child of mine.

Bonus silly fear: making a special scary face in the mirror.

fathering a child with a handicap (of any sort)

dude thats so fucked up, but i have the same fear.

i wonder if i would even be a good father in general but i dont know if i could raise a handicap child

this is the worlds best dad

dDnrLv6z-mM

• 3 weeks later...