Hair Products

Anton

so far i use

sumo tech

&

sebastian xtah crude clay

...i have to say the clay is pretty damn good

just ordered a tub of nakano ultra super hard wax #6 (its 1-6) off of rakuten..lol first time ordering off of rakuten so we'll see how it goes...i got 2 emails backs after i ordered so im assuming my order went through =p

btw

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/wellness-web/10007796/

is the gatsby ultra hard type wax any good? does it give a matte finish or is it glossy?

i only hear ppl talk about the mat type wax

any recomendations for hairspray? i want one just to use as a finish

Well like many other asians on here i have VERY thick hair. it poofs out and annoys the shit outta me. Is there any product that can help put it down. Like when i get outta the shower and dry my hair off with a towel and its still kinda damp thats the perfect thickness, but once it drys completely it looks REALLY thick. Would some wax help keep it down?

MilSpex prefers it to the new moving rubber series which i'm happy to use either way.

no clue about hairspray, i need some too.

my hair falls dead after a while.

is it discontinued though? gatsby ultra hard type wax

or is the only thing discontinued the mat type?

Dr brohnners is vegan all natural castille soap. Its basically a "wash anything and everything cleanser" alot of people use it to wash their jeans on this board, or used to for that matter. You can also use it to wash your entire body (its 100000% safe). The peppermint is very invigorating. You can buy it for very cheap at health food stores and comes in a few fragrances. I guess Im paranoid, but I dont trust styling products at all, so I go the all natural route. And I always get the impression that gels and pomades etc are just trying to emulate what a perfect balance of natural oils in your hair should look like to begin with. I mean, have you ever washed your hair and then took a nap or went to sleep? and when you wake up its just the perfect texture where u can style it? well those are your natural oils, why use styling products?> Some people eqaute natural oils with smelly grease and dead skin buildup on your scalp, thats where "cool" water washing comes in. Take a normal shower and when it comes time to wash your scalp turn the cold water up and push your body out of the way. then thoroughly scrub your scalp with nothing but your hands and the cooler water. This will stimulate the scalp, wash away any dead skin, and wash away any odors associated with oils etc. leaving you with clean, natural, hair. Then after a few days of this, you throw in the brohnners for a thorough cleansing. brohnners costs like 7 bucks at whole foods....try it out for 2 weeks...what do u have to lose?....after a few days you should be able to towel dry your hair into whatever style you want.

would you say this would work for any and all types/lengths of hair?

i'm also intrigued by this post, but am debating if this method would work for a full head of long, curly hair.

Well like many other asians on here i have VERY thick hair. it poofs out and annoys the shit outta me. Is there any product that can help put it down. Like when i get outta the shower and dry my hair off with a towel and its still kinda damp thats the perfect thickness, but once it drys completely it looks REALLY thick. Would some wax help keep it down?

Go get it thinned out at the hair salon.

Go get it thinned out at the hair salon.

easier said than done. I got thick hair and everytime i get my hair did, it stays managable for about 2.5 weeks (even with Japanese thinning technique and shit).

I use combo of american crew fiber wax (the green one) and this japanese one i bought at mitsuwa called "nudy"...works pretty well.

easier said than done. I got thick hair and everytime i get my hair did, it stays managable for about 2.5 weeks (even with Japanese thinning technique and shit).

I use combo of american crew fiber wax (the green one) and this japanese one i bought at mitsuwa called "nudy"...works pretty well.

Where do you buy that American Crew crap? is it a Pharmacy thing, or do i need to go get it at a Salon...Gettin fuckin sick of pomades greasy look and feel. Once my hair gets longer than an inch pomade just spikes it to all hell.

Where do you buy that American Crew crap? is it a Pharmacy thing, or do i need to go get it at a Salon...Gettin fuckin sick of pomades greasy look and feel. Once my hair gets longer than an inch pomade just spikes it to all hell.

Its pretty easy to find at most american salons and pharmacies like walgreens. Are you in NY, i think Ricky's has it too. Actually the one i use is the blue one (fiber pliable molding cream), the green one is the forming cream and isnt as strong. But pretty good for texturizing asian hair.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Crew-Fiber/dp/B0002356WW

just google it, probably on drugstore.com and shit as well.

Its pretty easy to find at most american salons and pharmacies like walgreens. Are you in NY, i think Ricky's has it too. Actually the one i use is the blue one (fiber pliable molding cream), the green one is the forming cream and isnt as strong. But pretty good for texturizing asian hair.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Crew-Fiber/dp/B0002356WW

just google it, probably on drugstore.com and shit as well.

I ain't no Asian.

I am scottish Jew.

Still werk for me?

the only problem with hair products from the drugstore is that they are either old, counterfeit or discontinued. which means that the quality is far less than that from a professional retailer.

changing your shampoo every month helps your hair not get acclimated to one type and allows for more manageability.

as for your hair "poofing out", having it thinned out with a razor or thinning shears should help, but it needs to be done more frequently than not to avoid the regrowth from being poofy too.

Yepppp. Stays nice for a few weeks then gets poofy again.....

so i need some hair help. my asian hair always looks dried out and thin. i've tried using tons of different moisturizing/hydrating/whatever shampoos and lots of different brands of wax but i haven't found anything that works. also my hair always looks terrible and poofy after showering and only looks presentable if i put a bunch of wax in it.

here's what my hair looks like up close with wax in it (excuse the shitty styling, just threw some product in to show what it looks like)

hair2.jpg

as you can see it looks dried out and there's lots of stray hairs, i don't really know how to describe it. i'd like it to look like this:

hair5.jpg

does anyone have any tips or products they can reccomend to make my hair look smoother, healthier and more 'chunky' like the picture? i'll try to find better pictures to show what im looking for

Whats everyones favorite product with a matte hold, but with a medium hold?

Also, I'm still looking for a messy short loo\k, but not sticking up, since my foreheads big i need some kind of bangs or something. I really dig halifamous' hair

photo10ss0.jpg

so i need some hair help. my asian hair always looks dried out and thin. i've tried using tons of different moisturizing/hydrating/whatever shampoos and lots of different brands of wax but i haven't found anything that works. also my hair always looks terrible and poofy after showering and only looks presentable if i put a bunch of wax in it.

here's what my hair looks like up close with wax in it (excuse the shitty styling, just threw some product in to show what it looks like)

hair2.jpg

as you can see it looks dried out and there's lots of stray hairs, i don't really know how to describe it. i'd like it to look like this:

hair5.jpg

does anyone have any tips or products they can reccomend to make my hair look smoother, healthier and more 'chunky' like the picture? i'll try to find better pictures to show what im looking for

Like mentioned earlier, a leave in conditioner will make your hair appear healthier but it would be tough to style.

One thing is that your hair color needs to be different if you want that darker "wet" look.

Also, after waxing your hair try smoothing it out with a clear pomade, it will give your hair a sleeker and shinier look. Also if you are using a 'matte' wax you may want to stay away from that and go with the pomade altogether, since your hair is short.

Finally, it might be tough to see but your hair is actually significantly shorter than the other picture. Notice how at the top of his head he doesn't have hairs sticking up, rather they travel pretty far down his head. That contributes to the "sleek" look that you see, where your hair will have more strays, etc.

Try the green label ("forming cream") American Crew. I used the blue label ("fiber") stuff for awhile when I kept my hair shorter but the spikes were pretty severe. I got sick of that look... the forming cream stuff works well but doesn't make your head look like you dipped it in an oil pan. Plus you can rinse it out (no shampoo) and use a little bit (much less than you might use on freshly washed hair) the next day and it looks even better.

I've heard that you should only get AC from salons, but I haven't noticed any difference between the stuff I've gotten from salons vs. Walgreens.

hair2.jpg

hair5.jpg

i dont see anything wrong with your hair.. It seems as tho your hair is dry because its short and u probably use matte type wax. Use leave in hair treatment after u wash ur hair before u hit the sack. Your hair is poofy after your shower because it is SHORT.

I'd agree with his diagnosis ^

You need to grow your hair, the bottom picture has significantly longer hair than you, thus why its thicker. Its like that due to the cut rather than product used in it.

It looks like they've just used a light texturing paste, so you're probably best growing it out for a few months then doing the same, using Tigi Bedhead or American Crew on it when it approaches the right lengh.