London jeans alterations

scully_100

Excellent, thanks a lot for the information. Ill give him a call tomorrow.

How much roughly were you paying for your repairs/alterations?

Mine are quite wide ranging -

crotch blowout

hemming

holes in cuff line

holes in pocket

Am I right in thinking the place is called Maurice Alteration Services? That's what I got from Googling the address.

Further Googling, yields this: http://www.qype.co.uk/place/264401-Maurice-Alterations-London which says that the business has moved locations. Can anyone confirm this

Many thanks

I've tried the number above and getting number unobtainable; anyone know how to get hold of Dale?

Does he do pocket bag repairs? Just discovered my LVC '37's that have about 18 months of wear with one 40 degree wash at about 12 months have got a hole in the pocket bag grrh

• 9 months later...
If whoever sent me a pair of non slevedge, predestressed, lockstitched hem, GAP jeans to chainstitch is on this site.... Well, shame on you...

I feel dirty.

Also,why?!

The chainstitch will probably cost more than the jeans.

• 1 month later...

2qvbhuo.jpg

This is Dale.

I went to see him yesterday to get a quick repair done & he had this dressing on his hand. I asked him what happened & he told me he caught an infection off a pair of unwashed jeans he repaired for someone ... His hand blew up 5x normal size & he had to go to hospital and have it drained.

WHICH ONE OF YOU WAS IT? OWN UP & ASSUME THE POSITION.

Cor that's a bit existential for this forum innit?

He's a nice guy. Was chatting yesterday about starting his own denim line. Don't know how far that will float but the repair he did for me was great.

He's a decent fella. Did he show you his roll of selvage denim?

That's not a euphemism by the way!

2qvbhuo.jpg

This is Dale.

This looks like it was taken in the back of the hairdressers in Nottingham Court where he was originally, but last time I visited him he had moved to a nice gaffe around the corner, downstairs from some modeling agency.

So where is he now, same place?!

• 4 years later...

Hog,

I've used the Levi's Regent St tailoring service for tapering and re-hemming a cheap pair of LVC 37s I bought from eBay some years back. The tapering was OK, they did it to my specifications but:

- they used a twin lockstitch unlike the original twin chainstitch on the inseams. If you turn the jeans inside out, the stitching looks a bit wobbly in places and the 2 lines don't remain neatly parallel

- the most annoying part is that the stitching is set too far back from the end of the overlocked inseam by about 0.5cm. This is OK uncuffed or with a tiny single cuff, but I don't like the look if the cuff is larger than that.

They did a decent job on the hemming, they used a chainstitch machine as requested (not a Union Special though) and as they re-hemmed to the original length, they were somehow able to preserve the existing roping intact.

The tapering was £15 and all hemming is free. Bear in mind this service is only available for any Levi's jeans and there can be a considerable waiting time (I think it was 3 or 4 weeks for mine).

Overall about 6-7/10.

Edited by Maynard Friedman