'street'wear is dead

Guest freedomfighter

To me, this ain't even streetwear, really!

Look at the "I miss the 90's"-thread, that was REAL streetwear! These new brands just build their whole identity on claiming to be street/hip-hop/<insert pop-cukture>, which is simply pathetic to me...

Most people who rock this shit are basically internet nerds or rich hipsters living in citys like NYC, LA, Tokyo or whatever, so what's fucking street about it?!

In Germany for example a lot of Ghetto kids are wearing oversized Diesels tugged in their socks paired with some Cordon Sport leather jackets and a Carlo Collucci sweater: Most on here are probably not familiar with the latter brands, but they were never meant to be worn like that! In France it's Lacoste polo shirts for the banlieue crowd etc...

These looks are quite often retarded, but that's the essence of streetwear to me: take something and wear it the way you like it, not based on the ideological background of the brand. It just has to evolve naturally and actually come from the streets. Not from some fucking fashion board...

But yeah, I also rock some of these brands, simply because I like some of their designs (but for the most part they're shitty, you're right), so no hate!

And sorry for the rant... :rolleyes:

it has long been known that street culture has become online culture, everyone wants to appropriate the cool of the OG street movements like skateboarding/hip-hop, so now anyone anywhere can buy in with a credit card and a broadband connection

that being said, i think its far from being dead. Dead creatively perhaps, but sales wise, these brands are making big moves. Additionally it is taking out the steam from oriignal urban brands like phat farm etc.

The addition of cut and sew to these t-shirt based lines is the real test to their longevity. However streetwear/sneaker culture etc is HERE to stay and its blowing up big.... this results in less creativately and alot of rehashing / biting, which is what is turning me off certain aspects of the scene

most of these labels and i guess 'streetwear identy' as a whole is taking on the demise of a subculture in tha i mean the labels it is identifys with are being blown in to mass culture and the look is no longer underground with its presence in music videos etc.

saying streetwear is dead is bullshit though look at this board and see people posting in waywt theres plenty doing 'steet wear' altough i hate that term in a fresh way looking good without looking like a overbranded idiot.

but thats the way i look at style in general you cant buy it you got to have a eye for it

one is for white people who think everything is an ironic joke, the other is for people who actually wear it in earnest (they like what it looks like).

In the end, they are both just an extension of early 90s street labels like Elie, Cross Colours, Karl Kani, etc.

in the end everything will come full circle

alot of street fashion was birthed by higher end brands , and particuarly Polo

when all of this stuff dies down, or is bought out and whored to the mainstream a la skate culture (pacsun etc) , polo will still be around

in the end everything will come full circle

alot of street fashion was birthed by higher end brands , and particuarly Polo

when all of this stuff dies down, or is bought out and whored to the mainstream a la skate culture (pacsun etc) , polo will still be around

I definitely agree. The thing with street fashion now is that so many brands are defined by trends, which come and go (the all-over hoody craze for example). A lot of these companies don't make classic pieces that you can wear after 1 or 2 seasons. But then again when you got brands OD'ing on Photoshop and everyone thinks its "hot", what else can you expect...