Wide cut, traditional "work" jeans?

superBobo

Whats the forums take on wide cut denim or carpenter dungarees? ALD are doing some cool ones,but are there any other examples of premium denim like this (pre 190 501 comes to mind)? I really like the look but I guess its not as versatile as regular (like 47/55 501) cuts.

Ive also been eying the rigid indigo double knee loggers from Carhartt (http://www.pricefish.com/product_images/866/1819267_150.jpg ) (15 oz, suspender buttons..olds school!) and stuff like that, but it really feels pretty un-fashionable at the moment, but thats also a part of the appeal. Possible to wear or just a 90s wu-tang vibe (not really bad though) or some 40+ dad that just dont give a shit?

As usual, no real purpose with the thread, just interested in other peoples view on stuff like this (other than "if you like it, rock it" perhaps...):o

hehe hello again bobo, if you check out aeroleather clothing they have some nice wrangler japanese denim carpenter "screwdriver" jeans that have a very relaxed traditional workwear fit. They are not selvedge and run very big. I bought a 36 and i swim in them whereas 36 is snug in most other companies. I like ald as far as cut and qaulity is concerned but the fancier aspects ie the pocket stitching turn me off, I think workwear should either have classic iconography like payday etc or be brandless. In my own opinion, I do not like carharrt, it really just doesnt do it for me unless maybe you found some canvas joints and really wore them in til they were heirloom washed and very soft and delicate. plus I dont like the carharrt symbol and pocket leather tab.

Thanks!

Yea, ive been looking at vintage chore jacket stuff on ebay. Pretty difficult with sizing though, size im tall and rather slim (i don´t need/want stuff to fit tight, but not huge either) I guess my best bet is tall -sizes on stuff like carhartt.

you like the carhartt duck dungarees better? been thinking of getting those, but heavy denim and suspender buttons is a plus :) I agree about the ALD pocket designs too, a bit over the top overdesigned to be "work wear"ish. But maybe that isn´t what they were looking for...

i think airfrogusmc will be all over this...his 1886s count as "work" jeans i presume? suspender buttons, cinch-back, 4-pocket, and a huge (by modern standards) leg.

from my point of view, these jeans are good to keep (for collection's sake), but i could never wear them and look anything but pretentious/unnatural. but depending on your age i'm sure it could be done. maybe someone could post pics of themselves wearing such stuff...

i think airfrogusmc will be all over this...his 1886s count as "work" jeans i presume? suspender buttons, cinch-back, 4-pocket, and a huge (by modern standards) leg.

from my point of view, these jeans are good to keep (for collection's sake), but i could never wear them and look anything but pretentious/unnatural. but depending on your age i'm sure it could be done. maybe someone could post pics of themselves wearing such stuff...

Here ya go.

IMG_6215.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

Looking at those 1886's, would those be the basis for the 40501 Edo Ai?

not those exactly but an older model, and even then its abit off. the older model levis had the 'hammer pocket?' but if you see the sugarcane model has belt loops so its a skewed variation of it.

Those Warehouse Duck´s are really cool. LVC have done a five pocket duck pant aswell, which might be similar. Both them and the Warehouse do look rather trim compared to the Duck work pants in Paul T´s book though (which might be a good thing)

Im also interested in pics of people making these types of cut´s work..

Those Warehouse Duck´s are really cool. LVC have done a five pocket duck pant aswell, which might be similar. Both them and the Warehouse do look rather trim compared to the Duck work pants in Paul T´s book though (which might be a good thing)

Im also interested in pics of people making these types of cut´s work..

Those Warehouse Ducks are lovely. Leiv's have repro'd their own cotton duck pants this year, but the Warehouse look nicer. Last time Levi's did the cotton duck they didn't sell many, and they were going on sale for about £40, so it might be worth keeping an eye open for them at Christmas.

I think you need a straight leg for these cuts to work, a bit oversized, I guess it's an old skool kind of look, good with sandals. THose Carhartts have a tapered leg which will make you look like an old man - not a grizzled carpenter or car mechanic, which would be cool, but rather an incontinent alzeheimer's sufferer, which in my book is not so desirable. Those 1886s look a but tapered to me too, altho that oculd be the photo. The old Levi's 201 have a striahg leg, and looked excellent worn slightly large, dry, maybe nice n dirty. THe Nevadas looked good too, altho I personally prefer to try it with dry jeans. I have a pair of 1901s which are pretty cool, but they have the lighter fabric - for most purposes I think a 12.5/14oz hangs better.

Here's the 1901s...

Levis1901b.jpg

A friend bought me a pair of the SC 40501 frrorm Hinoya, but you will need to size up a little for the correct look, they're actually quite a slim cut around the thighs compared to 1890s Levi's. My pair, 31W, are tighter than my 1947 Levi's and don't look right, so I probably need to sell, or better still swap, for anything in a 32, if anyone's interested.

the 40510 are based on the Nevada pants - hence the pliers pocket, raised watch pocjet and also the detailing on the back pocket, which has a wider top hem, which is typical of a workpant, as opposed to a jeans cut. The finish on the 40501 is excellent, streaky from its mix of vegetable and synthetic indigo. The Warehouse look to be much the same shap as far as I can tell, so if you go for those I would maybe size up by an inch on the waist.

img10591748924.jpg

I own some Warehouse DD 1920's and since they are pretty fitted I sized up from a 30 to a 32. They have a nice relaxed fit to them and the seat doesn't flare out excessively as a result of my sizing up. They also stay unbelievably, incredibly dark. The detailing is also impeccable (the decorative stitching is what gaught my gf's eye, who swayed to buying these over Samurai 505's)

Those Warehouse Ducks are lovely. Leiv's have repro'd their own cotton duck pants this year, but the Warehouse look nicer. Last time Levi's did the cotton duck they didn't sell many, and they were going on sale for about £40, so it might be worth keeping an eye open for them at Christmas.

I think you need a straight leg for these cuts to work, a bit oversized, I guess it's an old skool kind of look, good with sandals. THose Carhartts have a tapered leg which will make you look like an old man - not a grizzled carpenter or car mechanic, which would be cool, but rather an incontinent alzeheimer's sufferer, which in my book is not so desirable. Those 1886s look a but tapered to me too, altho that oculd be the photo. The old Levi's 201 have a striahg leg, and looked excellent worn slightly large, dry, maybe nice n dirty. THe Nevadas looked good too, altho I personally prefer to try it with dry jeans. I have a pair of 1901s which are pretty cool, but they have the lighter fabric - for most purposes I think a 12.5/14oz hangs better.

Here's the 1901s...

Levis1901b.jpg

A friend bought me a pair of the SC 40501 frrorm Hinoya, but you will need to size up a little for the correct look, they're actually quite a slim cut around the thighs compared to 1890s Levi's. My pair, 31W, are tighter than my 1947 Levi's and don't look right, so I probably need to sell, or better still swap, for anything in a 32, if anyone's interested.

the 40510 are based on the Nevada pants - hence the pliers pocket, raised watch pocjet and also the detailing on the back pocket, which has a wider top hem, which is typical of a workpant, as opposed to a jeans cut. The finish on the 40501 is excellent, streaky from its mix of vegetable and synthetic indigo. The Warehouse look to be much the same shap as far as I can tell, so if you go for those I would maybe size up by an inch on the waist.

img10591748924.jpg

I had a pair of 1901s and they are very nice and show up on ebay for usually not a lot of $$$. To bad those 40501 have belt loops. They look pretty nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know more about the history of the "work cut" as in pre 1900 levis and such? asking cuz I picked up a pair of vintage swedish army pants in very much the same basic cut, and it seems unlikely that the swedish army would style their pants after LVC repros... I guess it could have been a wide spread basic look, possibly of european origin?

suspender buttons, wide cut straight leg, high waist, one back pocket, cinch back, heavy cotton canvas. No rivets or jean-style yoke though, and with added holes for draw string at the bottom. I don´t know how old they are, or what uniform they were a part of..

bralla1.jpg

bralla2.jpg