australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

you must live very close to me... which alterations place was it?

The drycleaning place on Blues Point road near the strip of shops. I think its in between the pizza joint and bottle shop. It doesn't look like anything special but the guy seems to really know what he is doing.

Yeah I live at McMahons point. Really close to the ferry warf.

The drycleaning place on Blues Point road near the strip of shops. I think its in between the pizza joint and bottle shop. It doesn't look like anything special but the guy seems to really know what he is doing.

Yeah I live at McMahons point. Really close to the ferry warf.

might see you around some time, i live in mcmahons over looking lavender bay.

Unless you ride motorbikes or are knee deep in the denim 'fashion' scene and want a repro old world jacket, I don't know if I'd recommend the regular Lost World, Aero, Schott type jacket... You'd probably be better off saving your money and shopping for a second hand one locally or on eBay internationally.

All leather is good for blocking wind, which is a big part of staying warm, having lived in Melbourne and Sydney I think the addition of thick/heavy leather just makes a jacket clunky to wear, and you'll wear it less because it gets too hot.

In the ~$800 price bracket, I'd shop around for a second hand or heavily discounted designer jacket for three reasons:

1) Cut, middle market goods will invariably be too boxy and compromised.

2) Linings, forget polyester satins, you want a fabric that breathes against your skin (and the leather), personally, I wouldn’t compromise on this because it’s the difference between the jacket sitting in the cupboard for 9 months of the year, or becoming your best friend . Bemberg? Silk? At least 1/2 lined.

3) Leather, ruling out more exotic leathers for the sake of the price bracket, I have a preference for sheepskin.

Cheap sheepskin is over-buffed to achieve Butter-Soft status, but will tear easily and generally have a short life. High-end sheepskin or a good crossbreed are more naturally soft, thin and strong - but you do pay for it. For example, top end sheepskin cost more than $90 per square meter, whereas the cheap stuff can be had for as low as $23.

Goatskins are often a good compromise between thinness and strength.

Lighter jackets in lighter calf/cattle hide are usually 'split' skins, that is, the top 'grain' layer is taken away to be turned into high value goods and the lower layers are pressed with a hot plate to resurface it. I'd also stay away from suedes unless you've got an expansive wardrobe already.

Look for jackets from designers Spring-Summer collections, which will be more suited to our climate. Hit eBay/Supermarket/Style Zeitgeist Classifieds often, work out the style you want and the designers you’re interested in. Finally, watch the import duty and double check measurements ;)

EDIT: Just one more thing, widen your search to include labels that often slip under the radar like Martin Maison Margiela, Neil Barrett, Dries Van Noten, Costume National, Helmut Lang.... And watch for new arrivals at sites like CycleTwo, McBrands, Yoox and other stores that carry old season designer goods.

Hey guys, does anyone wanna purchase a red fred perry polo, size 38". Its a 100% genuine London made fred from Selfridges.

My gf just came back from London with it but has bought the wrong size...bummer.

Let me know if anyone's interested and i'll post some photo's.

Cheers.

your right on track there James Vincent... But shiaaaat i want an Aero horsehide jacket. This jacket would become my best friend and its not just because it hits -11 here in the heart of winter and snows. They just look so damn fucking ACE!

Basically vinnies leather jackets can be cool for a while but a discounted designer is defs a great way to go! Good post champ.

Hello

I'm going to Sydney for 4 days at the end of March and would like to do some shopping.I've searched the thread and tried to read through the 76 pages but I've given up. The list I've found from the pages I read are:

William st and glenmore rd

Dorby den on crown st

Blood orange

Footage

Roof on fire

Ourspot

Anotherinch

Capital I

incu

I'm just after some casual clothes similar to material boy and mjolk but would love to pick up some unique designs by local designers. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

ye..wat uv

listed is pretty much it.incu and capital l r always pretty good,although lately incu just been the same ol shit time an time again.i think capital l got a heap of new stuff in but im yet to check it out.dunno wat u got up in brissy but if u can be bothered, def walk down oxford st.alwayz find pretty good stuff in random shops ther. new assin meant to b pretty ok too,but old and expensive as fuck.

oh..an also try check out somedays in surry hills.not sure wat ur into but i reckon its been pretty good lately, they sell a heap of swedish/euro stuff.random shops in surry hills r sweet too.

tbh, in aus we got jack shit.but if we got it, then its almost guaranteed u can find it in ne city.

Graniph have opened a store in the Galleries Victoria. Incu has a load of APC in. Raw black NS, grey and stone wash NC. Nice Filipa K trenches.

I took my suit into Vlada's today. I explained that I only want a very slight break at the bottom of my trousers.. I thought they would need to be hemmed higher then how the tailor pinned it, but she assured me it would be fine. We will see. I asked if she could shorten the sleaves to show about a centimetre of shirt cuff, but she said that it wouldn't look good. I know it would require some work, and I think that perhaps she wasn't confident, so I let it be. Walking around afterwards, I noticed how few men show cuff in sydney. I saw two out of hundreds.

What all suburbs are these stores in, these shops you're all talking about?

All close to the city centre, up to 5 to 10 mins walk from each other. Look at the superfuture shopping map for Sydney. Don't get your hopes up if you're planning to visit, the selection isn't that great.

Ah, planning to do a bit more than a visit. Not put off by the bad shopping though, I can survive. Probably for the best if I'm not too well serviced retail-wise as I can see myself going poor at Australian ripoff prices, I've had plenty of that in other countries.

went and had

a quick look down at the galleries today...

oh.fuck having to do uni surrounded by an entire population of loud complete nerd uni douchbags with ther shitty uni sense of humour and fukn lameness is devastating .much rather be lurking around by myself than have to hang around them and such.

anyways...graniphs pretty much wat i expected.nothing special really, none of the tops really stood out, but prices pretty good i suppose.

new stuuf at incu is beter than i thought.some of the marcand apc stuff is nice.wish i saved more $$$fuk$$$$ in the hols instead of spending on fuck nos wat.bought a a.p.c leather wrist band cuff thing as a compulsive 59$ purchase today.shitball im useless.wat the fuk am i meant to do with that.im gonna eat migoreng and bread for weeks just so i can get sum winter cluthins.

..and ther was this sweet hot bitch workin at sp1 too.endd up buyn a tee ther just so i could talk to her.shit.

wat did u do today?

oh.fuck having to do uni surrounded by an entire population of loud complete nerd uni douchbags with ther shitty uni sense of humour and fukn lameness is devastating .much rather be lurking around by myself than have to hang around them and such.

i think your the douchebag.

In case those amongst you've forgotten, the average uni student can barely make bills and rent per week without having to worry about dropping 3weeks of expenditure on a pair of jeans ;)

It's a little hard to justify half a grand on a jacket when you're eating sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

How much are the black NS going for ?

about 240 i think..but why would you bother when Another Inch in darlinghurst is selling Imperial Dukes and Kings for $180...

SPOT BLOWNZZ!

Also just letting people know an American Apparel is opening on Oxford St..

Also sadly orson & blake is closing down in Surrey Hills.. Well the downstairs clothing section...so this will be the last shipment in it appears...

D:

a store that makes lame basics with a price ridiculously jacked up for a foreign market that should have opened here 5 years ago is an opportunity for checking out hot chicks trying on said lame basics at least?

i said it before, i'll say it again, an australian apparel would be nice to have. or is that industrie/bonds/cotton on/supre etc? urgh.

even those brands have prices that are quite high for what they're selling. the best alternative to AA available to australia might be uniqlo/aa/etc proxies perhaps.

although i think most australians seem very happy in their industrie fluoro wifebeaters. the thinner the material, the better. even more so if you have rips due to a faulty washing machine rather than wearing it hard.