New store and Clothing line outta SF; UltraVitalence

kiddd128

so i recently opened a store its located at 1790 washington St. San Francisco CA 94109. and it carries the ultra Vitalence label. check out the website for photos www.ultravitalence.com

heres a brief summary of what im about:

With its first collection being loosely based around A Clockwork Orange, and an underlying influence of our vital connection to our child hood, and inner being. The bedsheet hoodies are a direct link to this. See more at Ultra Vitalence, and expect to see much more of this brand and its store! Online sale are available at www.icecoldsake.com.

here is a teaser uv35mikedenim2cs8.jpg

uv35jillsq0.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Styling is completely off in the second pic imo. What does Streetwear/HipHop/Bling have to do with A Clockwork Orange?

my 2cts.

i see what your saying completely, the line is loosely based on A Clockwork Orange. Im trying to bridge the gap between the masses. he is my homie and i wanted him to feel comfortable in the clothes and if that meant him bringing his flair to the table so be it.

thanks for the input.

uv35_pauldistricts.jpg

Way to be creative, I know I've never seen a shirt that looked just like that before.

So, I went through all of the photos of your line because I'm pretty sure I hate myself. First off, what you should've said was "with it's first collection being loosely based around blatantly imitating A Clockwork Orange and other shirts already made on the movie, Ultra Vitalence is a boring streetwear brand that made an all-over-reversible-hoodie."

Good job being like everyone else.

^That shirt is indeed a blatant rip-off!

I took a look through the pics on your site and everything seemed heavily streetwear inspired/orientated, wich is ok since it seems to be you thing, it isn't mine though.

I'll give you points for the effort!

thank you for a actual critique.

thanks for all your input, the critque is helpful in learning how to make the line grow.

my only comment is try doing all i have done before even being able to buy a beer.

All right, I'll give that a try sometime.

I think the most important thing you can do at this point is try and find some way to distinguish your brand, and although it seems like the easiest, the best way to do this is not to slap your logo on everything. If you want to really be noticed do something different. Try some cut + sew pieces, make some jackets. Use some interesting materials. Try some hats (not new eras). Try for a collaboration outside of the "streetwear" world. Do some things that are cut differently from everyone else. Find a more unusual inspiration.

These are just a couple of options, there are many other ways, obviously, but for some reason everyone just decides to make a sweatshirt and some t-shirts.

I think the most important thing you can do at this point is try and find some way to distinguish your brand, and although it seems like the easiest, the best way to do this is not to slap your logo on everything. If you want to really be noticed do something different. Try some cut + sew pieces, make some jackets. Use some interesting materials. Try some hats (not new eras). Try for a collaboration outside of the "streetwear" world. Do some things that are cut differently from everyone else. Find a more unusual inspiration.

These are just a couple of options, there are many other ways, obviously, but for some reason everyone just decides to make a sweatshirt and some t-shirts.

I agree. It doesnt have a flare that makes me want to go out and buy it as a 23 year old. Of course, you are younger than me, so that would be where the influence is coming, but consider who you are trying to appeal to and what your price points will be.

WOW man your stuff looks like its cut HUGE!! Is that just the pics or it is gangsta cuts?

again i apprecaite you not just straight slamming my brand, you have reason. Everything is cut and sewn except the teeshirts. i do have some hats, i suggest you check the website, i have a collab coming up with my boy invasion, i believe its dope. but again it is a reversable all-over. me personally i really like clean exteriors with a popping insides, but all your comments are valid. At the same time im trying to express myself, im trying to think of what sells, and currently this shit sells and it describes me well and thats what im trying to do. the bedsheets are something that stick out in my mind as a person. again thanks for the input.

EnglandMJ- the price is high yes. these are really custom joints. think about a bedsheet, its not a easy material to do a production with. i had to individually cut every elastic seam, not to mention do all the footwork to get all the vintage bedsheets. On top of that its all made in San Francisco, nothing is outsourced except the denim that is. it was imported from zimbamwee, but besides that everything from start to finish is produced in SF. but you are right it is a high price tag, if i had a choice i wouldnt charge that much, but i gotta break even some how.

thanks for the input.

PS i think the first time i saw that shirt was the wu tang jump off/ or NWA

I agree. It doesnt have a flare that makes me want to go out and buy it as a 23 year old. Of course, you are younger than me, so that would be where the influence is coming, but consider who you are trying to appeal to and what your price points will be.

WOW man your stuff looks like its cut HUGE!! Is that just the pics or it is gangsta cuts?

ahaha its actually cut rather snug, he just choose to size up

again i apprecaite you not just straight slamming my brand, you have reason. Everything is cut and sewn except the teeshirts. i do have some hats, i suggest you check the website, i have a collab coming up with my boy invasion, i believe its dope. but again it is a reversable all-over. me personally i really like clean exteriors with a popping insides, but all your comments are valid. At the same time im trying to express myself, im trying to think of what sells, and currently this shit sells and it describes me well and thats what im trying to do. the bedsheets are something that stick out in my mind as a person. again thanks for the input.

EnglandMJ- the price is high yes. these are really custom joints. think about a bedsheet, its not a easy material to do a production with. i had to individually cut every elastic seam, not to mention do all the footwork to get all the vintage bedsheets. On top of that its all made in San Francisco, nothing is outsourced except the denim that is. it was imported from zimbamwee, but besides that everything from start to finish is produced in SF. but you are right it is a high price tag, if i had a choice i wouldnt charge that much, but i gotta break even some how.

thanks for the input.

PS i think the first time i saw that shirt was the wu tang jump off/ or NWA

Well one thing you have going for you is YOU ARE BEING YOURSELF. We may not like it, but Im sure there are a lot of people out there like you. Im also sure youll soon find that out with sales. 1 thing I dispute is pricing. As a new line/young kid your coming off as if your something special, not by your words, but by your prices. Your likely to lack older person support asking that kind of money. You might get that, "who does he think he is, young punk" kind of stuff. Drop your prices and get your brand out there. Then and only then will you be able to hear people talking about you.

i think the first time i saw that shirt was the wu tang jump off/ or NWA

Wrong!It's actually an iconic t-shirt by Dutch graphic design team Experimental Jetset (not knowing them is not a crime), it's their idea of the ultimate band shirt and was originally done with the Beatles names (not knowing them would be considered a crime by many) have a look at it and the story behind it here: http://www.experimentaljetset.nl/archive/tshirtism_intro.html, they also show all the variations they've found on it so far. You were not the first. (I haven't decided yet if I think that makes it worse or better).

Anyway, you say you're being yourself wich I think is good, but to me it seems as if your trying to life the "Hundreds" dream, blog et all. It might get you somewhere, I don't know, but it would mean you're not living your own dream.

On the other hand I can only give you credit for starting to life whatever dream so early in your life!

1 thing I dispute is pricing. As a new line/young kid your coming off as if your something special, not by your words, but by your prices. Your likely to lack older person support asking that kind of money. You might get that, "who does he think he is, young punk" kind of stuff. Drop your prices and get your brand out there. Then and only then will you be able to hear people talking about you.

This is not always true, since it can be good to put your prices at a certain level, as a way to not look cheap and position yourself properly. Keep in mind that clothes actually aren't that cheap to make if it's only small amounts and not done in asia

so that is the original shirt? i feel like i commited a crime for not knowing or ever seeing, especially being a beatles fan.

that aside i want to make a comment about the blog thing; i really optied not to have a blog nor a website, but in todays day and age that is a nessecity for success, that is what dictates consumers, and if you notice everyone posts on that except for me. i let my friends post on that shit, it makes them feel good. A store along with line is something ive always dreamed of, before the hundreds and all this current day stuff.

I use to work at a small boutique back in 2000-2001? until 04 and that was what sculpted my ideas into what i wanted to do, and that was way before this current day stuff going on. it just happens that i was able to finally get everything going now.

majority of my customers at my store come in due to the blog/website.

Yep, those are the people who designed that. Not really a crime though if you're not into that hardcore minimalistic graphic design.

Everything I'm saying is all based on first impression, and my first impression straight away placed you along certain "streetwear" brands. That's my mistake maybe, but if you think it should be otherwise you should maybe send out a stronger/different first impression. If this has been your dream since '00-'04 (you must have started working in retail young?) and you see it's being done now by people around you, then maybe you should update your dream. Sorry if I sound too harsh.

Also, I'm not sure if you realized that the style you're presenting isn't what most people on the future are into, and maybe that's exactly why you came here. But I'm curious what kind of reactions you'd get on hypebeast for example.

anyway.....

edit: why are the tags boxers and selvedge there?

edit: why are the tags boxers and selvedge there?

i didnt understand the above about the tags boxers and selvedge.

with hypebeast, there are always haters and there are always people that like it. always a mixed bag of opinions, but everyone that comes into the store either by walking by or heard of it via word of mouth has had nothing but good things to say. and a lot of those people are people that look the future roll. also ive gotten love from american rag which i say is a future store, if im not mistaken.

in regards to my dream and what not. it was to have a line and store.. i have that now. what needs to happen now is the capitol to start rolling in so i can really achieve my true design ideas. but thats all in due time

and you dont sound to harsh. its all real comments and suggestions.. but for right now it is what it is.

the tags given to this thread are: boxers, denim, hoodie, selvedge & t shirt. All others I understand but as your jeans don't seem to be selvedge I don't get it, and boxers?

Nevermind, you seem like a nice guy, and it looks as if you've put alot of effort in what you're doing, and you're young and determined. These are all good qualities, just if you really have to "steal", atleast make sure you know where you're "stealing" from in the future.

Good Luck!

edit:One final thought, the bedsheets/old fabric thing has been done before, Matthew Ames did it in his debut collection (can't find the link right now and it's not on his own site), he had transformers, he-man, these cupcakes figures and what not. I'm not going to hold this against you though, since you're thing is completely differently executed and besides, everything has been done before somewhere. It's just that with the internet it's easier to know these things. Just thougth you'd like to know.

OHHH THOSE TAGS!! its not pictured but i have boxers as well. along with that i have selvedge denim its 14.5 ounce redline selvedge right hand twill check it.

uv7lj2.jpg

thanks for all the input, ill be sure to keep it in mind

hey man.. a few things you might want to consider when talking about your denim..

first of all, that's not selvedge, at least from that photo i'm seeing, it's not selvedge.

second of all, saying your denim is "right hand twill" is the equivelent of saying "my jeans are made of cheap denim"

Left hand twill is premium denim that has a softer hand, and is more costly to produce. Right hand twill is what 99% of the world's denim is made of, as is yours.