Kiminori Morishita F/W 06-07

minya

I really like some of the boots and the jackets in the 5th and 7th pictures. Minya, what are the price points?

crazy, crazy -- the cargo pants are like 80k yen in Japan and were about $1100 at The Archive (but they sold out instantly???)

the jackets are comparatively stratospheric.

hey Minya have you been to Archive recently to check out their sale? I wonder if they got anything good left... I'll stop by this weekend before the SE party...

According to this:

http://www.la-couture.com/defonline/H_01_05/morishita.htm

Morishita uses lacquer on some of his garments to "crystalize the material" (my own poetic translation). I'll try to translate the whole article tomorrow if I have the time. The label sounds very cool to me, feel free to make high quality scans of the lookbook and send them as a reward for my work :)

By the way they're sold at Komakino (In To, right?) and Alan Bilzerian (Boston) according to this:

http://www.tetehomme.com/cate/kiminori_morishita.shtml

yikes! $1100 pants? CARGO pants? some of those pieces are nice, but i'm with rice about a general tendency towards over-designing here and, at least judging from the lookbook, not particularly interesting over-designing.

so hard with men's clothes to straddle the line between innovation and ostentatiousness, subtlety and zzzz, isn't it?

beyond that, though, any price point that makes balenciaga look like club room is straight obscene, I think we can all agree.

i've tried on a few random pieces - mostly leathers. the stuff is really nice but i feel a lot of the stuff is a bit overdone.

I saw that I've been to a few stores that sells them but never noticed the brand (same thing happened with Gustavo Lins-although I did saw pieces from GL but they didn't catch my eye), after reading a little bit about it though I'm interested (I just like the lacquering idea I guess ^^).

don't know too much, but it seems really high end, and the look/feel kind of reminds me of the viridi anne or attachment, and a bit like backlash. extremely expensive, i didn't know that it would sell so well in san francisco! their leather jackets are like 350,000+ yen! btw, archive is a great store! the 50% sale is really nice, get any nice pickups? there's a really tempting thick demeulemeester jacket...picked up an lgb hoodie and cloak button down myself, got to go back get some more!

www.moongate.biz sells some kiminori morishita (mostly sold out). i guess 2000db would be a good bet to get these items for somewhat more affordable pricing...

and right now, yoox has a few pieces at typical yoox discounts!

Kiminori Morishita

When a Japanese man looks at the old country

Kiminori Morishita learned his designer’s laurels working for the Japanese company “Tete Hommeâ€, first as a modelist (sp-can somebody tell me how you anglos call those because it’s not the first time I tried translating this) then at confection and finally as a stylist. In 2003, he takes the plunge and starts his own brand, hoping to make his mark on the international fashion scene. A few seasons later he reaches his goal with a very accomplished F/W 05/06 collection that shows a real mastery of clothing and how to present it in the best light. His leitmotiv; fallen aristocracy, which translates Morishita’s vision, his imaginary perception of the European man, finds a magnificent reflection in this collection through a meticulous customisation of clothing. “I imagine broidery as an integral part of a garmentâ€, explains the designer. Obviously, if customisation was limited to adding embroidery here and there, on the hem of a pair of pants or at the back of a straight jacket (note: meaning a jacket that is in a straight line, whatever that means, not the latest in asylum chic) it would show. Kiminori Morishita became a master of personalization with lacquer tinted jackets, forever freezing thread, textile, material, and clothing. The end result reflects the high level of craftsmanship, requiring two hours of hand work on each garment, with a design that is on-point, all in subtlety, almost collectable.

(The rest of the text is about how they’re the only store carrying the brand outside Japan which isn’t the case anymore from what I’ve seen on the Tete Homme website). Keep in mind this is a quick and dirty translation, which doesn’t look that bad considering the original phrasing is quite awkward in some places.