Foreign Cinema

inter

i'm too lazy to type a bunch of recommendations right now, but you should check out this french movie called Le Dîner de Con (don't know the english name, but it translates as something like the Idiot Diner). basically, some rich dudes have this thing where they each have to find the a world class idiot and bring him for a dinner. anyway, they are now doing an american version and Sacha Baron-Cohen is gonna play the role of the idiot so it should be real funny.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119038/

Could anyone suggest some good foreign films or somewhere I could find some good recommendations? I like Wong Kar Wai, Kurosawa, and Chan Wook Park films especially but looking to expand my horizons, especially in terms of European and South American directors.

nuevo cinema paradiso (italy)

la vita e bella (italy)

parfume (france)

diarios de motocicleta (south american, dnt kno where)

don de dios (mexican)

amores perros (mexican)

there was a film of a visual experiment captued on film called the 7 tribulations or something

some dutch guy, doing a remake of a film

cant remeber the whole story but i caught it on channel4 some years ago and it blew my mind

its of guy shaving, but a lot better

damn im not selling this very well

Not too sure about what you're saying but maybe you're talking about The Five Obstructions?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354575/#comment

What did you think of this, Fuuma? I read it and it sounded fascinating, but didn't have any money with me to buy it. I'd be tempted to go back and pick it up if it delivers on it's promise.

I'd say this is the kind of film you'd only buy sight unseen if you're already familiar with the filmaker and enjoy when he releases this kind of imput.

old ones

ingmar bergman's seventh seal

fellini's 8 1/2 and La Docle Vida

havent seen tehse but i want to

Le choriste and Le grande Illusion

both french, unsure on the spelling and directors.

Les choristes: Part of the recent feel good, frenchie french movies that came out in the last years, one of the best of the bunch though but nothing too impressive.

La grande Illusion : Jean Renoir, same guy that directed La règle du jeu/Rules of the game. A personal favorite.

There's an unusual film called À ma soeur! released about six years ago and it has perhaps one of the most random conclusions I've ever seen. Still I cannot cope with it and how swiftly it came and went, to leave me gobsmacked and lonely in a darkened cinema. In a world where plot twists rule this is a Duke or perhaps a Marquis.

irreversible

the range and depth of emotion and physical reaction this film evoked in me was astounding.

the concept of the way the fiolm is shot is reminiscent of memento and the editing is second to none. and the soundtrack is literally out of this world

but the graphic physical violence depicted on screen, i have never seen before and frankly never want to see again.

forget about hollywood cartoon violence-lite.

this hurts to watch

all this and i couldnt finish it yesterday

will try again tonight

so watch it ASAP