Digital SLRs?

nairb49

Is getting an L lens on an XT/XTi body overkill?

No, but remember your 1.5x crop. It's going to be a bitch having a $1200 lens you can't enjoy wide open... but of course if you're going to upgrade to a full frame eventually then that won't be as big of an issue...

I know I was annoyed at having a 50mm with the Canon 20d and the 17-40 being a bit too slow for my liking.

No, but remember your 1.5x crop. It's going to be a bitch having a $1200 lens you can't enjoy wide open... but of course if you're going to upgrade to a full frame eventually then that won't be as big of an issue...

I know I was annoyed at having a 50mm with the Canon 20d and the 17-40 being a bit too slow for my liking.

exactly what do you mean when you say slow? is it the performance of the lens itself?

what do you shoot with now Sid?

its 1.6x crop. i totally get what you mean. that was one of the things that i thought about when i was getting my lens. I do alot of architectural photography and landscapes, wider the better. 17mm turns to 27mm when attach to cropped body . 27mm is still fairly wide. also i guess a plus for having a ef lens on a ef-s body would be that you get the best sharpest part of the lens which is the middle in your frame the surrounding angles wont be in the frame so i guess potentially you can get sharper images.

i think xt/xti are rated for 10,000 - 20,000 clicks ill prolly be upgrading within the year. under 1000 bucks for a L series setup is pretty good

Okay, shitty thing to do, but here goes:

I dropped my roommate's D40...twice.

Both the lens and the body seem to have sorta...jingly jangly noises going on inside when I shake them, but it still takes pictures just fine. I can still change all the settings and etc., it all works.

I'm just really concerned that I fucked up his camera. What are the chances I fucked it up vs. the chances it's just some plastic bit I knocked loose bouncing around in there?

Edit: actually the noise is barely audible with the lens and just a little more than barely audible with the body. Any chance the camera would just make that noise from the get-go?

turn the flash on and hold down the lock, and the peice that makes it pop up. and then shake it. that might be the noise. but i say you bring it to a pro and check if its ok. and pay for the repairs if any. i dont think you would want someone to drop a 500 dollar camera of yours and then say "its ok i think".

well at 105mm i think is is a real big deal im pretty sure a normal person cant keep there hand tat steady. IS would help alot. but it would also on a 70mm zoom. the only advantage i see to get the 24 70 is that the f stop is pretty low 2.8 thats great

f4 isnt tat low.

all depends what your going to be using your lens for.

I would pick a faster lens over a lens that needs IS anyday.

But hey, focal length does play a part in this. When will you use this lens? 105mm would be perfect for some sport or candid photography, but if you're going to take fast pictures of moving objects in the late afternoon, or with less light indoors then you might be out of luck because I.S. won't do shit about "stopping" subject movement (you need wide aperture and low shutterspeed for that).

Anyways, what do shooting needs do you seek to fulfill with this new lens purchase?

I like taking low DOF shots and I do shoot in low light sometimes so I guess the 2.8 would really help

Im just not sure if sacrificing an extra 35mm is worth it, in case I need to take photos of people from far away. what?

Im leaning towards the 24-70 anyway

I like taking low DOF shots and I do shoot in low light sometimes so I guess the 2.8 would really help

Im just not sure if sacrificing an extra 35mm is worth it, in case I need to take photos of people from far away. what?

Im leaning towards the 24-70 anyway

Learn to use your feet as zoom. Intimacy with the camera takes some time to get acquainted with... something a long zoom lens can't always do, especially if you don't know how to yet.

Learn to use your feet as zoom. Intimacy with the camera takes some time to get acquainted with... something a long zoom lens can't always do, especially if you don't know how to yet.

truth for so many things. i have a ricoh grd -- amazing camera. fixed lens.. when i tell people that they are suddenly like wtf?!?! but in all honesty ive only wished for a zoom like maybe 1-2 times out of the thousands of shots it has taken.

despite it being heavy as a brick, i fucking love it. its so nice to hear a silent focus ring after hearing the tamron buzz for so long.

with the learn to use your feet as zoom, you can do that with a zoom lens. i usually decide which focal length to use before i shoot and stick with it. i dont think ive ever played around with the zoom trying to get the right frame.