Digital SLRs?

nairb49

if your looking to just get into photography. i have a canon a1 along with a bag of lens/filters ive been meaning to get rid off.

everything you need to get into photography except a flash, which i lost when i last moved.

also it might be worth mentioning that unlike new equipment this body/lens are built like a brick. you could seriously throw it at a wall and it would be cool... not that you would want to do that.

i only read the first page of this thread where i saw carl suggest this sorta shit which is why im bringing this up.

also it might be worth mentioning that unlike new equipment this body/lens are built like a brick. you could seriously throw it at a wall and it would be cool... not that you would want to do that.

i only read the first page of this thread where i saw carl suggest this sorta shit which is why im bringing this up.

In my opinion, the supreme peak of photographic equipment was the '50s through the '60s. Some of the most beautiful and technically perfect things were produced during that era, mostly in Germany.

so im going to buy a dslr in a few months and i have no idea whats good?

and since its almost been a year since this thread was wondering im looking at the bestbuy dslr cameras. and i was wondering:

does mp matter as much? i was thinking around 8-10 is good for me.

and whats the best camera around the price range of $500-$900 at bestbuy online

and i'm hopeing one that will last me for acouple of years so when i move to new york i'll be able to capture the scenary and things of that matter.

i'm currently using my brothers 6 mp nikon coolpix. although we've been using it for a year i doubt it will last me another year

Is that price range for the body or also with a lens? If it's the former, look at getting a 20d or 30d now that the 40d is out. I got my for 800 Euros the day the 40d was released, and it has probably dropped in price since then.

Also, unless you have 900 bucks of coupons for bestbuy online, buying from them is a terrible idea, their prices on cameras aren't very good, and neither is their selection. For example they don't even have a 30d without a lense.

Guest JonasW

8-10 megapixels is plenty for printing decent sized pics, around 11 x 17.

That may be pushing it, but to give you an idea, 3 megapixels is plenty for the standard 4x6 prints the average person purchases. If you really want to push the size of a print there are ways of sharpening it so the resoultion isn't terrible.

A Canon 20d can be found for around 700 dollars online. Though the Rebel Xti/400d has a higher megapixel count and similar price, the 20d is sturdier and has other incentives over the Xti. The magnesium alloy body, build ( much larger that the small Rebel series, no cramped hands) and the buffer size ( how many shots you can take before the camera pauses to write to the memory card.)

The main thing you want to invest in is nice glass. Glass will be used for a long time if the company doesn't change the lens mount, while bodies are replaceable and are meant to be upgraded.

Also, with that in mind, new technology doesn't diminish the frame capturing ability of previous models.

^certain models from the mentioned brands do produce quality glass. its good to own the top of the range of your camera make lens (if money isn't an issue), but when you are short on money or after a bang for buck, brands like tamron and sigma fit into the equation perfectly.

on a side note, for people thinking of buying the tamron 17-50, reviewers weren't lying when the focus ring is loud! it does hunt in low light also, but other than that it is a fantastic lens with L glass quality photos. i guess you don't get those type of problems if you went with the canon 17-55 USM, but in the end it is twice the price of the tamron. you decide.

I have the Tamron and while the AF is a bit loud, it's still a fantastic lens. The image quality/price ration can't be beat, except maybe by the 50mm f/1.8, but that's not a good lens to have if you don't have any others.

The reason I bought it is because I didn't want to make a huge investment before I know that photography is really what I want to do. If I still love it this much in 6-9 months, I'll pimp myself with a bunch of L glass, but until then, loud AF is something I can deal with.

theres a lot of great third party glass out there, I wouldn't negate every brand. my favorite lens is my sigma 17-35 ex dg hsm, and it's tested sharper them a copy of a 17-40L.

the issue with third party is quality controll. Its probably best to try a lens at a store rather then buy it online, where as with canon i've never got a bad copy of a lens when purchasing, either online or in person.

• 3 weeks later...

so, i graduate in the spring, and my parents told me they'd buy me a nice camera (digital), so i can pursue a higher level of photography (ive casually dabbled, see my photos from a gazillion pages back). anyways, since 99% of sufu is made up of photoguru's and superphotog's, i was wondering, whats a good mid-range priced digital SLR with a good zoom, manual settings and other nifty features. im coming from a Canon Rebel GT film camera, so i want something thats like that, maybe a little nicer, but not so expensive my parents won't buy me the camera.. think ya'll could help a brotha out?

x-post from photography thread.

Well then go for the D80 or 400D....doubt u're gonna get any better ones with your budget

i dont need something super flashy, i just want a nice digital SLR that will last me a couple of years till i have the funds to get the best i can get. those are nikons i assume?

D80 is nikon..the other is canon... their both in ur price range...the prices would have dropped by now...and they are by no means mid level or even semi professional models...their all entry level/prosumer DSLRs(I'm using the D80) which would be perfect...i'm sure most ppl wld agree with mi

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d80%2Ccanon_eos400d&show=all

aaron, dude... I don't know too much about the 4/3's system other than a few articles saying about how "dead" it is in terms of future innovations. Is there a good market of quality autozoom lenses for that system? The only ones in my radar aside from the big 2 are Pentax lenses which have neato pancake primes.

My understanding of it is that you can use old quailty nikon, ziess etc. glass that was made for the old nikons and olympus's and stuff with new cameras. thats the major draw bc you can get those lenses cheap and they're awesome. My understanding could be a little off my only experience is playing with a teacher's camera who was shooting the olympus 410 with an old manual olympus lens and it was nice and tiny, produced high quality images and wasn't that expensive.

as far as new lenses i believe you can alternate between nikon and olympus, but thats a guess.

As far as zooms i have no idea. I was raised in the prime lens camp and haven't even looked at buying a zoom in my life.

theres a lot of great third party glass out there, I wouldn't negate every brand. my favorite lens is my sigma 17-35 ex dg hsm, and it's tested sharper them a copy of a 17-40L.

the issue with third party is quality controll. Its probably best to try a lens at a store rather then buy it online, where as with canon i've never got a bad copy of a lens when purchasing, either online or in person.

speaking of great third party glass. you guys should check out the sigma 30mm f1.4 for the 1.6cf body. It really is an amazing price point for a 50mm 1.4 ff equivalent. It's a great choice for indoor + low light conditions.

a couple of f1.4 shots:

f114f8119c6d410e85e5d09a192dc8df.jpg

cd4e119932c343b8892d71a8c6cd5a41.jpg

• 2 weeks later...