Peter Doherty

RobbertJan

A thread to discuss his MUSIC and POETRY, not to flame him down for what the tabloids write about him, cause that's just a total bore.

I regard Peter as one of the most gifted songwriters and live performers of this generation. His talent first emerged when he won a poetry contest and went to Russia when he was 16. After hooking up in London with Carl they formed the Libertines. They played the London pub circuit as a mostly ska/skiffle band that wrote great songs about the mythical Albion. After meeting Banny Pootschi who became their manager they started to get some attention. They made a demo called '' Legs 11'' to send to record companies. This session is available for free download at albionarks.net and this is my favorite Libertines piece of music. This was in early 2000. Legs 11 wasn't enough to get them signed yet unfortunately because the time wasn't right yet. Then the Strokes shot to fame and suddenly Rough Trade started searching for a British answer. They remembered the Libertines and decided to sign them. Up the Bracket, their first studio album, was alot more fast and had more punk influences then Legs 11. They came to a sort of fame in a pretty short amount of time, and while their venues got bigger they still remained faithful to the London poetry scene and still played gigs and hung out at Filthy Mcnasty's. After Peter had been warned several times by the band to get his drug addiction under control, he was kicked out of the band after failing to attend a rehab in Thailand for longer then 3 days. Second album The Libertines was still released and entered the charts at number two. The Libertines got voted Best Band at the NME awards and were the biggest band in Britain. Unfortunately the had to kick Peter out so it all ended in an anti-climax. After that Peter went on to form Babyshambles and Carl formed Dirty Pretty Things.

I hate Peter for wasting a lot of time hanging out with the wrong crowds and having an out of control problem. But I love him for writing some of the most important songs ever. To add to that, after reading a few books about him and seeing some documentaries, he's a great guy. Without the drugs Peter is an amazing guy to hang out with, he's inspired by great poetry and literature, from Blake and Byron to Sassoon and Wilde. He's a modern bohemian and a style icon for the '00s. I still listen to Legs 11 pretty much every day and i think it is the pinnacle of Carl and Peters talent. With introducing the guerilla gigs and posting his most private thoughts on the internet he broke the barrier between fans and their heroes.

The Libertines also were mesmerizing live. The chemistry between Peter and Carl was amazing and it added another dimension to the songs.Although Babyshambles are hit and miss at gigs they still are brilliant when it's a hit.

I recommend everyone that is inspired by this guy to read Bound Together and to watch Arena: Peter Doherty as well as watching live performances on youtube.

It's a sad thing that because of his relationship with Kate Moss he's now a huge target for the tabloids. He's public property now and he shouldn't be cause they only print his story for all the wrong reasons.

Modern music should be thanking Peter Doherty, for making things interesting, writing beautiful songs and inspiring a generation!

Discuss:)

I think Barat is just as great a talent a Doherty, DPT are very much like the libertines and babyshambles dont sound half as good, and I read that babyshambles released songs Barat wrote initially when they were still together. Barat seems more consistent at righting great songs, I cant really say I get the same impression from Doherty. Barat doent get enough attention for me. Especially when Doherty gets enormous amounts of exposure, but I consider him less talented than Barat, and also more wasteful of his own talent ontop of that.

I shouldn't have left Carl out of this story as much as i did. He's an incredible guy and a great talent in his own right no doubt about it. That's why the Libertines will be remembered as one of the greatest bands. But I think Carls talent lies more with the guitar. He's the musical mastermind, Pete's the best songwriter. So it's not true that Babyshambles play songs that Carl wrote. And Babyshambles have a sound that you really need to get into. I thought Down in Albion and the Blinding were big piles of ramshackle but after listening to it over 100 times, I appreciated it more with each listen. The songs are still there and although the sound has changed from the Libertines i prefer Babyshambles over DPT because they have the best songs and more of the Libertines spirit. DPT have the more produced sound and although i really liked Waterloo to Anywhere it's just not the same as the Babyshambles records.

But this is of course my personal opinion, and i can understand that a lot of people like the sound of DPT better.

a few of my favorite lyrics:

1)An ending fitting for the start

You twisted and tore our love apart

Your light fingers through the dark

Shattered the lamp into darkness, they cast us all"

"No, you've got it the wrong way round

You shut me up, and blamed it on the brown"

Cornered the boy, kicked out at the world

The world kicked back a lot fucking harder now

2)I get along just singing my song

people tell me I'm wrong

FUCK 'EM

3)And I love every inch of you

Yes I do love every single inch of you

But doesn't she get that warm glow inside?

Shoots up your spine and blows through your mind

Oh well, don't you tell me how blessed are the poor

You've always wanted one slice more

Than you and me

Love for today makes

My darling was a preacher on the Albion stage

She might have been a preacher in the good old days

We're drinking whisky in a brave new afternoon

Don't people realise they've rolled past my tomb

4)Well is it cruel or kind

Not to speak my mind

And to lie to you

Rather than hurt you

Well, I'll confess all of my sins

After several large gins

But still I'll hide from you

Hide what's inside from you

5)But if you've lost your faith in love and music the end won't be long.

6)Cause we lived my dream today

And I have lived it yesterday

And I'll have lived it tomorrow

No don't look at me that way

Well I hate the way you say...

But my heart has gone astray

With all these friendships slipped away

But there's a death, this musta be that way

I lived my dreams today

I lived it yesterday

And I'll be living yours tomorrow

Anything else to say?

I lived my dream today

I lived it yesterday

And I'll be living yours tomorrow

So don't look at me that way!

7)The Saga

A problem, here comes a problem

When you let down your friends

When you let down the people

When you let down yourself

Oh, and only fools, vultures and undertakers

Will have any time for you

8)Did you see the stylish kids in the riot?

Shovelled up like muck and set the night on fire.

Wombles bleed, truncheons and shields,

You know I cherish you my love.

9)I'm running away with you

That's all I ever do

And that's all we ever mean

But I forgive you, everything

Meet me at the railroad bar

About 7 o'clock

We talk while the sun goes down

Watch the lovers leaving town

10)So what's the use between death and glory?

I can't tell between death and glory

Happy endings, no, they never bore me

Happy endings, they still don't bore me

But they, they have a way

A way to make you pay

And to make you toe the line

No I sever my ties

Because I'm so clever

But clever ain't wise

And fuck forever

If you don't mind

www.albionarks.com

thats an intersting point on production, I often think its a shame "waterloo.." was produced so much, the same can be said for the second libertines LP. Too many bells and whistles in the booth doesnt lend itself to that sort of music.

Yeah, im not really to concerned with lyrics, in fact with my own band I cringe when it comes down to lyrics, seeing as im a guitarist ( of sorts ) its obvious why I like Barat.

I would agree that is why Babyshambles has the edge over Dirty Pretty Things. I prefer the "raw" music of The Libertines and Babyshambles and definitely agree Dirty Pretty Things is over produced. Yet, Dirty Pretty Things still has some fantastic songs such as Deadwood.

Woah RobbertJan you must be his biggest fan! Don't have time to read your posts. The guy is a genius muscially but the luckiest guy the amount of 2nd chances he gets.

Pete's mum was interviewed on a British TV recently and she seem like a bible basher, proper goodie goodie person. Maybe Pete rebelled against that kind of lifestyle.