Peter Doherty

RobbertJan

i forgot to mention that peter can be of influence on the sort of literature you read, i was never really into all the classic works but then after hearing about some of them through peter i started to read some and i really liked it. so i think it's a great thing that he has this knowlegde of classic literature and poetry and he inspire young people like my self to emerge themselves in this literature.

and i'd like to share a little story about peter that a lot of people probably don't know and it's one of the reasons i like him as much as i do:

most people probably know that he plays what have become known as guerilla gigs, gigs in his apartment to fans that have read the announcements on time on the message boards. ofcourse unfortunately lately it's more of a quick way to get some drug money..... But still what kind of artist big or small does this kind of thing?

And Peter did this together with Carl or others when he wasn't absorbed by his addiction, in the early days of the libertines ca. 2000. He would play a gig in his apartment and then after the gig he would go to his bedroom and the fans would enter one by one and he would play them the song that they requested, so they got a private gig! i mean that's one of those amazing things about him. And fans were asked to take something from the apartment, like a book or a dvd as a present. This for me is one of those magical things about Peter and Carl that have never been done before.

I'm not trying to be a cant here but if you spend more than a week in the UK you will soon find your attitude towards this overplayed, overstyled contemporary 'icon' sullied good and proper. It is very boring indeed. When the day comes that he either dies/get locked up/gets eaten by king tramps I for one shall rejoice on the streets.

yeah I did see babyshambles on the bbc and they lived up to theyre name, pete isnt to hot on an acoustic and allways sounds abit patchy and limp, If i saw that in a bar id walk out, yeah the guy has charisma and that carries him a long way but that set was pretty poor, especially for a televised performance. Its not "raw" or "honest" or "striped down aesthetic" it just badly played.

Petes literature taste isnt that good, he has a cute fascination with the most classic of classic authors and artists from the romantic period and since. Obsessions with blake and baudelaire reek abit too much of teenage years for me.

Yeah hes a charismatic musician- but thats it. the media likes its icons flawed and its rock stars drugged up, im sorry but thats the way it is, hes not an icon, the story is an icon, and for the most part its not a story, its a myth.

Rob i think you ought to get over him. Oh and these guerrilla gigs for drug money.......... awfully close to busking for drug money- and a lot of buskers round london are charismatic and better on guitar.

I'm not trying to be a cant here but if you spend more than a week in the UK you will soon find your attitude towards this overplayed, overstyled contemporary 'icon' sullied good and proper. It is very boring indeed. When the day comes that he either dies/get locked up/gets eaten by king tramps I for one shall rejoice on the streets.

i've spent time enough in the uk, going in 10 days again, and i understand that reading about him in the tabloids is annoying. the story has been told a million times and it's just sad that the tabloids can still sell enough papers over this. i would've been better if he'd never met kate moss probably, that's what attracted all the fame.

problem is that you should focus on the music and the music is very good in my opinion.

haha i have to disagree with you viv, but beeing a teenager myself it's hardly a suprise our opinions differ here. i know peters fascination is purely the classic works, but still, at school they teach that subject in the most boring way possible or not at all, so i'm just glad that through peter i got interested in those works. i have been reading a lot since and i love it. so for that matter he can definetly inspire young people to get interested in literature.

I must also explain that i'm fond of the '' old peter''. before the whole drugs thing came he was a wonderful guy and those gigs in carl and his apartment were sincere and they just loved playing music and entertaining people. that is still an extraordinary thing and yes unfortunately it became an easy way to get some drug money. that's a sad thing and it rips the later gigs of their greatness.

i still love a lot of his music, addiction or not, but the drugs influence his character a great deal:( but then there are still small moments even in the documentaries that reveal a great guy. the way he's portrayed in bound together, which is written by serious journalists in an objective way (and they experienced peter from early on), is great. the book focuses on the early years of the arcadian dream of carl and peter and that's the period i love them for.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...