If you could own a denim shop...

Dex_star

If you could own a denim shop (in this case outside of japan where premium brands are much more scarce) what brands would you carry?

Your choices shouldn't be based on what you like only, though your preferences should definately be in cluded, but also what brands you think would sell, because of course you gotta pay rent and make a profit in the end. For example would you choose Nudies becaus of its rising popularity and/or Samurai because of its history and quality.

So what would you choose to carry?

I guess to make it a little easier and realistic lets narrow it down to 6 brands.

I'd carry:

APC: starter brand, everyone likes it to try.

Rag & Bone: higher pricepoint than APC, but accessible (models start at ~$200) with styles that reach the 25-40 demographic that is price conscious, but quality driven.

Studio D'Artisan: Most accessible of the Japanese repro brands. Lots of modern fits as well as sturdy workmanship. Fits in well with the Rag & Bone pricepoint, but distinctly different feel.

Nom de Guerre: instant credibility.

5EP: Fits in well with both Rag & Bone and Studio D'Artisan.

Iron Army: this would change from season to season, but need at least one different, and fairly new brand all the time that is a little flashier to bring in customers

I think that's a pretty good mix. Godd range of pricepoints, fits for everyone, and a few classic "modern" brands with two "heritage" or heritage inspired brands and a more rock and roll, of the moment brand.

I've also chosen these brands because many of them carry solid clothing lines. I'd stock with lots of APC (accessible fits and prices), throw in 5EP chinos and jackets, Studio D'Artisan shirts for a bit of color, Nom de Guerre for credibility and out of the box sales (but I'd bring stuff out gradually, obviously,) and Rag&Bone for similar styles at a lower pricepoint.

Obviously, the store woud have lots of other clothes. Hell, I'll stock the rest of the store, since I'm having fun. I'd pick up Engineered Garments outerwear and shirting, select w+h/Wings &Horns fleece pieces (good for color), hopefully Dope & Drakkar, and shirting by Obedient Sons, Band of Outsiders, and Seize sur Vingt. Bags by Jean shop. Belts by Engineered Garments, Margiela and Baltazar. Some leather goods by Jas MB and Jutta Neumann (love her work.) Hopefully Margiela and Dries van Noten as well. Hats by Fred Bare and Eugenia Kim.

I'd carry:

APC: starter brand, everyone likes it to try.

Rag & Bone: higher pricepoint than APC, but accessible (models start at ~$200) with styles that reach the 25-40 demographic that is price conscious, but quality driven.

Studio D'Artisan: Most accessible of the Japanese repro brands. Lots of modern fits as well as sturdy workmanship. Fits in well with the Rag & Bone pricepoint, but distinctly different feel.

Nom de Guerre: instant credibility.

5EP: Fits in well with both Rag & Bone and Studio D'Artisan.

Iron Army: this would change from season to season, but need at least one different, and fairly new brand all the time that is a little flashier to bring in customers

I think that's a pretty good mix. Godd range of pricepoints, fits for everyone, and a few classic "modern" brands with two "heritage" or heritage inspired brands and a more rock and roll, of the moment brand.

I've also chosen these brands because many of them carry solid clothing lines. I'd stock with lots of APC (accessible fits and prices), throw in 5EP chinos and jackets, Studio D'Artisan shirts for a bit of color, Nom de Guerre for credibility and out of the box sales (but I'd bring stuff out gradually, obviously,) and Rag&Bone for similar styles at a lower pricepoint.

Obviously, the store woud have lots of other clothes. Hell, I'll stock the rest of the store, since I'm having fun. I'd pick up Engineered Garments outerwear and shirting, select w+h/Wings &Horns fleece pieces (good for color), hopefully Dope & Drakkar, and shirting by Obedient Sons, Band of Outsiders, and Seize sur Vingt. Bags by Jean shop. Belts by Engineered Garments, Margiela and Baltazar. Some leather goods by Jas MB and Jutta Neumann (love her work.) Hopefully Margiela and Dries van Noten as well. Hats by Fred Bare and Eugenia Kim.

good list, NDG credibility wouldn't really pay the rent as "whothefuckisthisbrandaskingfor$600forajacket" syndrome would likely set in. I see all of the brands you list and it kind of strikes me as completely odd that the brands you list would probably do fine in boston, but would fail in philadelphia..

I cant just choose six. There will have to be seven brands...

LVC, Lee, Pace, Nudie, APC, Cheap Monday and Samurai.

And there would be tops from Acne, Balaklava, Whyred, Rockers NYC, Upper playground and Stussy

and there would be a couple of turntables and a mixer and an espresso machine.

Firstly it would have a screenprint room in the back and Id launch some tees that way. Brands......

Maiden Noir

APC

Acne

Andy Whall

to get customers

Then, once theyre hooked id hit em with

Pure Blue Japan

Skull

Oni

Sugarcane

Samurai

Eternal

Somet

Full Count

and some cordovans, barbour jackets, redmoons, loopwheeler.

With only six I would have to make it a good mix, both Common and Niche Markets.

To get people in the store:

LVC

APC

Wrangler (domesic US and Euro and 47s)

To keep them comming back:

Samuri

Pure Blue Japan

Warehouse

Then I would be a special order dealer for Ande Whall.

Cheap Monday

Nudie

Samurai

Iron Heart

Imperial

Ande Whall

Then do a kind of "jean of the month" thing, where every month I'd order a different brand in a small quantity. For example, one month sell some Skull 5010xx, then the next sell PBJ xx-005, that way I could have different brands circulating thru the shop.