Japan over New Year Holiday (what to do)?

trinket

So, this forum's a bit empty. I've tried the search, but I couldn't find the answer.

I'm thinking of going to Japan 22nd Dec to 7th Jan, but I'm concerned that EVERYTHING is shut for three days. 1st, 2nd and 3rd of January.

Can anyone confirm if everything really is shut? All department stores? Is there anything worth doing during these days?

Should I arrange my trip so that I'm in Tokyo or Kyoto or Osaka for these days?

Thanks for any assistance.

Heya I will be in Tokyo from the 22th Dec -30th Dec too and will be travelling around alone for most of the trip.

Am planning a trip to a hot spring as well as some small towns during this time...

Anyone can advise if its safe for a lady to travel alone around these places? Any recommendations? :)

Thanks!

yo, also in tokyo for xmas holiday season till 3rd jan.

will arrive in osaka on the 15th - only day in osaka i have to shop / see stuff.

anyone know things i should DEFINATELY CHECK OUT in a 12 hour rush?

have been osaka 1nce before - hit amerika mura but that t'was bout it...

any info hit it up

safe

peace

digs

hey do any of you guys know how to read a japanese map? (translated into english), im realy confused because there are all these numbers in place of an address e.g. 5-3 minami-aoyama - shibuya-ku - tokyo 107-0062 how would i go about finding this building?

I'm thinking of going to Japan 22nd Dec to 7th Jan, but I'm concerned that EVERYTHING is shut for three days. 1st, 2nd and 3rd of January.

Can anyone confirm if everything really is shut? All department stores? Is there anything worth doing during these days?

No, not everything is closed, but each department store will have it's own schedule. A few will be open on Jan 1, but as mentioned above.... Jan 2 and 3rd are craaaazy shopping days because the whole country is basically on holiday.

Regular merchandise is not on sale, but they have "fukubukuro" which is a "lucky bag" of random stuff, sold in increments like 1000yen, 3000yen, even up to 10,000yen. I'm not a big fan, but the women love fukubukuro. Basically, the stores fill the bags up with various items, but you don't know what's inside them when you buy it. So, you could end up with something great or something just ok... if they don't like what they got in their bag, they trade it with friends or family.

Otherwise, new years is a big family holiday here and christmas is more for friends. It's the opposite of what you're used to in the US. In japan, everyone goes back to their home towns for new years, to visit family and pay their respects at their home shrine. I went to Meiji Shrine in harajuku last year and it was packed. People start going at midnight, when they serve free sake as celebration, and continue through the whole day Jan 1st. Probably close to a million people visit meiji shrine on new year's day.

So, tokyo will be more quiet and dead than usual... but you will be able to go shopping (if you can stand the crowds), find places to eat (in the more touristy areas), and visit the many, many shrines and temples around tokyo. Tokyo is so big that it's nearly impossible to be bored!