At 6 months, my jeans broke

john11f

did you do a soak before the first wear? cause that is the only thing i can think of, the excess starch makes the denim more susceptible to tears from what ive seen. either that or you wore the life out of them.

Lots of the repro companies use pure cotton thread, which is considerably less elastic and more prone to fraying/breaking than the poly/cotton threads that modern manufacturers use. So, GQ was not completely incorrect is saying that denimheads go for authenticity over quality, insofar as one equates construction longevity with quality (for example, I'm sure that anyone with super slubby jeans (say, PBJs) will tell you that they abrade relatively rapidly). But that is just some loose stitching. Pretty much any tailor can fix it. Geez, they're jeans. Take out some thread and a needle and DIY them.

I think LA Guy is right. The inner stitching on the crotch area of my onis (2 stitches) has worn down, kind of like how the arcuate wears down where there's abrasion from wallets. I love the jeans, but it's annoying the the stitching would wear down so quickly. I'm going to hand stitch it back up if it wears down anymore.

have't done the ocean wash yet. i'll have them fixed before i head to phuket this friday...

thanks guys. i'm not worried, i was just wondering why it's falling off quickly. i guess that's how they are meant to be. i'm really getting good distressed fades and marks.

crisis, you're right about the arcuates. it's disintegrating quickly!

On topic my howies are stitched with kinda thick twine everywhere, similar to the super thick stitching on my pbj crotch. Would be nice if more companys had uberthick stitching.

Yeah, but that super thick stitching isn't terribly consequential. My PBJs have developed some tiny holes. They're still small, but it's enough that I've stopped wearing them until I can get them fixed.

Yeah, but that super thick stitching isn't terribly consequential. My PBJs have developed some tiny holes. They're still small, but it's enough that I've stopped wearing them until I can get them fixed.

The holes from PBJ are not because of the stitching, but a combination of your gait and the super slubby denim. The coarseness of the material, which is what makes it unique, also makes them very abrasive. It's like having sandpaper rub against the legs as you walk. If you want something with a little more longevity, go with something like 5EPs, which are smooth and tightly woven (R45RPM jeans have similar characteristics) or SDAs, which have a smoother hand than a lot of the other Japanese denim companies (still pretty loosely woven though.)

The stitching busting, though... that's a 10 minute job by hand, 5 minutes for a tailor. Of you want jeans that won't do this, stick with modern companies with a similar minimalist aesthetic - 5EP is really good, as I said before, and APCs are iron. And don't wear the jeans so tight. That causes much more abrasion (unless you are severly bowlegged.)