Bicyclettes

canice

I currently need a crank puller to install my new crank, but I also need, in general, an actual tool set. I was thinking of picking this up which has a crank puller, but I don't know if it's the one I need?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14585-325_SET215-0-Search--/Sette-Torx-ST-21-Tool-Kit---21-Tools.htm

My guess it's the same as this: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14589-325_SETCP5-2-Accessories-42-Tools/Sette-Torx-ST-215CB-Cotterless-Crank-Puller.htm

which would work on my square taper bracket

does anyone know of a 80/100 degree stem made to fit on a 1" steerer? i can only find for 1 1/8" with a shim for 1"

thanks

that's pretty common. i think the 3ttt mutant came in a 1" and 1 1/8". you're talking about a threadless setup right?

nice shot gem- Is the tour hitting canterbury tomo i may well venture over and chack it out as its only 15 min away,is great to see the tour over in the uk again

Cheers seen, yeah it's Greenwich to Canterbury tomorrow. It's such an amazing site, I don't care how many drugs they take there's no greater physical challenge in world sport.

that's pretty common. i think the 3ttt mutant came in a 1" and 1 1/8". you're talking about a threadless setup right?

yeah, threadless. thanks for the info

one more question... the LBS i got my bike left the steering tube way too long, almost 4 inches exposed... is this something i can take care of myself with a pipe cutter or should i bring it somewhere and have it done?

What's a steering tube? Like, the stem? Just shove that bitch down.

Sounds like Eric has an aheadset rather than a threadless headset (ie a quill steam). The tube sticking up is his steerer tube.

You could cut it yorself but unless you're absolutely sure you can get it striahgt and even, I'd drop into your local shop and ask them to do it for you.

Edit:

4 inches sounds a little excessive.

i thought that tube that the stem attaches to is just an extension of the fork... like this:

NS-FCF-a.gif

or do i have threaded headsets and threadless headsets confused?

EDIT: sorry for shitting up this thread with stupid questions...

I bought this old Europa from a work collegue for next to nothing. Its like an early '80s model 12 speed that had the gears on the downtube. At the moment it is an extremely dodgy home made fixie conversion with completely wrong gearing! I want to grind off all the cable guides and stuff, have it powdercoated and put some decent parts on it.

Europa.jpg

threadless if the steerer tube too long u chop it down..if threaded u can drop or rise the one piece stem OR use a threadless convertor thingo like i am using now.

I have a 3TTT mutant sitting doing nothing I could post it for anyone who want it cheap.

Cheer,

DUb.

Wooh my bad I typed threadless when I meant threaded. Sorry.

Eric if you've got a pipe cutter and you feel confident, then I'd say go for it. You just have to make sure you leave at least 2-5mm between the top of the steerer and the top of your stem.

If I was you I'd leave room to chuck in a spacer or two under your stem, just in case you cut it too short (in which case you'd be screwed).

you can cut that shit down. it is internally threaded. i would take it to a shop and have them do it so its done properly. winging shit like that on your first try is never a good idea.. especially when an expensive part is involved.

anytime i have to press in a headset, cut a stem or have a frame respaced, i always take it to a shop since i don't have the tools and in some cases knowledge of how to do it proplerly.

Any one else go to the Prologue today? Just got back from Hyde park, amazing, so good to see the Tour in London..

Sorry about the shitty photo, it's a lonely business time trialing...

I was at the Prologue (about halfway, near the entrance to Hyde Park) and it was brilliant. Stage 1 was even better. Great atmosphere.

Here's couple of shots, including Dave Zabriskie for the US contingent...

754025703_bd2df0d520.jpg

754002281_1930a8275a.jpg

David Millar's doomed break passing Colt's Hill, outside Tunbridge Wells in Kent:

755044928_c9acecd837.jpg

Finally, the maillot jaune:

755051758_2d42ec2ccc.jpg

end of the race today was fantastic,great start to the tour it looked with like 10k to go that the aus(fogot name) had no hance of really making the front of the pack,then literally at the sprint he appears and torches everyone.great finish