Bicyclettes

canice

hahaha, knucks, i just got both those things.

nashbar had oval concept risers a few days ago as part of a big sale... $20 down from $60, maybe they're still there? best deal i could find for the oury was $7 at jensonusa

edit: yup, still there http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=92&subcategory=1049&brand=&sku=20232&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20ATB%20Handlebars

nahh... i can't wait to put them on. gonna go home for the fourth and use my dad's pipe cutter to cut them down to size. if i end up not likin them though, i'll shoot you a PM

does anyone use a kryptonite ulock? will a mini or the smaller NY fit around the tube AND through the rear wheel? or just around the tube?

it'll fit. i use an evo mini and lock it around the rear wheel and brake bridge inside the triangle, find it's more compact and scratches less.

The imaginatively named pedal spanner, it's just a reinforced 15mm spanner. If -when the bike was assembled- the mechanic neglected to grease the threads on the pedal spindle then getting them off may be a nightmare.

If this is the case, take the crank off the bike and make a triangle out of the spanner and crank arm then stamp on the pedal spindle and it should come undone.

They're also a little bit thinner than a normal spanner. This only really makes a difference with flat pedals (and only then if the bodies are screwed right in up to the cranks) but often a standard size spanner is a few mm too big to fit in there (just enough to make you scream in frustration).

That was until I wen to Focus/Do It All and managed to buy a whole set of skinny metric and imperial spanners for the price of one Pedros/Park pedal spanner.

Finally found some risers today..2" (wanted 1" but this will work) + some red Oury grips.

Final product after chopping em.

5x7dnqf.jpg

631r6f8.jpg

I just got a Suntour Superbe Pro crankset w/ 53/40 chainring. My current setup is 46x16...what should I do this one at? What size cog to get?

i dont know shit about bicycles.

whats the big attraction to fixies? is it just some sort of cult following that i havent understood? they seem horribly impractical to me. if you want to go fast, say bomb a steep hill, wouldnt you have to take your feet off the pedals? otherwise you can only go as fast as your legs can bend back and forth right? and how are you supposed to stop after going so fast?

or do you just give up things like that? i saw a bunch of people on fixies when i was in san fran. how do those hills work when you cant stop pedaling?

i dont get it.

Fixies are terrible:

They are bad on your knees. It's stupid to skid/skip and ruin tires whilst putting pressure on the cog, chain, chainring, cranks. You can't coast. You risk pedal strike on turns.

But damn they are fun.

wild style think I should get..an 18 for the back and run the 53 up front?

does anyone know what flat top cross lever will fit on a 26mm handlebar? cane creek just came in the mail and it doesn't fit. ugh.

what size did you get? I just got a cane creek lever that doesn't fit my bars (it's a lil too big) so I had to make a shim out of electrical tape. My lever is meant for 26mm bars.

wild style, i don't really skid so skid patches isn't really a problem..

so anyways, i currently ride 46x16 which is 5.6..if I do 40x14 that's the same. If I do..53x18 it's 5.8. I do city/campus riding in Ann Arbor..almost no hills unless I deliberately go bombing them around the medical center..

Thoughts?

Yo knucks, you can get alloy risers from nycbikes for $15. Steel ones are only $10. Or maybe go to your LBS and check their used parts bins. I picked mine up locally for like $10.

fuck nyc bikes.

DSC00208-1.jpg

Does this mean I love my bike more than my girlfriend?

I got that wannabe lazy eye goin on...

Its cuz I cant raise one eyebrow :L

kevin?

fixed gear is probably the most practical bike ever. less shit to break, very low maintenance. skidding isn't the only way to stop. i only go through a tire every 2-3 months on my commuter.

You could run the 40 up front with 14 in the rear. Would be a similar ratio to what you have now, but you'd be pretty limited in terms of skid patches.

i just switched from 48-16 to 42-16 and it's a completely different world, i love it

what size did you get? I just got a cane creek lever that doesn't fit my bars (it's a lil too big) so I had to make a shim out of electrical tape. My lever is meant for 26mm bars.

it's this one... http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=15691&category=1597 i just read the description again and of course, it's right there "24mm"... i'm retarded. but it fits great on my risers. anyway, which one did you get?

mlproject: never been in nycbikes personally, but have noticed people hate on it pretty hard. whats the deal with that place?

knucks: i think you'll be fine with the 53-18 ratio, shouldn't be much different from what you're spinning now.

ericdw: 48-16?! holy shittt, that's must be quite a difference.

nycbikes bikes ride like a pop can reaming you up the ass. carbon seatposts and forks are useless against their rattling.

also, i use a cut-up strip from an old innertube to shim my cross lever. no slippage yet.

fuck...why didn't you guys tell me biking was so damn addictive? Rode about 90 miles over the course of three days...mostly from the sheer excitement that comes with getting a new bike. I'll take pics soon...

anyway, few questions:

If you had 200 bucks what would you upgrade on a (your) bike? or is it more of a total overhaul or nothing type of deal when it comes to bikes?

Are gloves a good deal/necessary? My hands were getting cramped up after about thirty miles...should I invest?

Thanks

ericdw: 48-16?! holy shittt, that's must be quite a difference.

yeah, that's how it came stock, so i've been mashing with it for the past couple weeks. my LBS let me swap with them though, so i didn't have to pay for a new one, just had to wait for them to order it

i just switched from 48-16 to 42-16 and it's a completely different world, i love it

it's this one... http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=15691&category=1597 i just read the description again and of course, it's right there "24mm"... i'm retarded. but it fits great on my risers. anyway, which one did you get?

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=6380&category=

it's even too big for my new risers (25.4 clamp iirc?)