Bicyclettes

canice

Don't bother putting all that money on a Pake. Especially don't bother with a CK headset. Not worth it.

Either buy a nice frame and build it out, or select any number of the nicely spec'd bikes that are out now and put the saddle, bars, pedals and tires you like, which is the avenue I would recommend.

Don't spec out a cheap frame, just don't. Great frame, nice riding wheels, period. Everything else is replaceable and upgradable and just not as important.

Either buy a nice frame and build it out, or select any number of the nicely spec'd bikes that are out now and put the saddle, bars, pedals and tires you like, which is the avenue I would recommend.

some recommendations pls :)

also, i have the opportunity to get my hands on a 49cm FBM sword (frame, fork, headset) for $600 shipped. worth it?

i was under the impression you didn't want to drop that much cash initially. if you're going to drop around 1.5k on a bike, do it right. i wouldn't buy anything brand new to build something on that budget. so many amazing used bikes floating around that would be light years better than building up a pake with parts at retail.

You should go to this site: http://njs-keirin.blogspot.com/

Get a decent priced frame on there, Parts Package B (CRAZY DEAL), and just buy a decent wheelset on velomine. That's what I just did.

Version A - 80usd (2 sets left) =

1. Chainring: Your choice of Dura Ace or Sugino and your choice of size.

2. Chain: good used HKK Vertex Blue

3. Cog: your choice of 13t, 14t, 15t Suntour NJS cogs.

4. Stem: your choice of Good used steel or Aluminum and size.

5. Bars: your choice of Nitto Aluminum or steel, sizes Steel 37cm, 38cm, 39cm, or 40cm; Alum 36cm, 36.5cm, 38cm, 39cm)

6. Suntour lockring

Version B - 180usd (2 sets left) =

All items in Version A + plus good used Dura Ace FC-7600 cranks-

your choice 165mm, 167.5mm, 170mm ( if you want Suntour cranks, +70usd.)

You should go to this site: http://njs-keirin.blogspot.com/

Get a decent priced frame on there, Parts Package B (CRAZY DEAL), and just buy a decent wheelset on velomine. That's what I just did.

[/i]

Holy fuck, how is that so cheap?

No seriously, I'm in class and skimming the site, but post-NJS crap at such ridiculous prices? :confused: How much is shipping alone?!

if you're going to drop around 1.5k on a bike, do it right. i wouldn't buy anything brand new to build something on that budget. so many amazing used bikes floating around that would be light years better than building up a pake with parts at retail.

haha but that's assuming you know what you're doing re: buying used bikes / parts.

but i agree with the repeater that if you want to build up a good bike on a budget, it's better to pick and choose your battles with an eye towards upgrading the less important components later

yeah but still, spending a grand on a pake build is a complete waste of cash. if you're going to be that into riding where you "need" to buy some $300 cranks you should probably educate yourself a little along the way enough to be able to find proper deals.

I don't know what you're looking for in a frame, but I'd see about getting a complete via a dealer, it'll save you money and any fitting issues.

i'd be looking for a really light steel bike, carbon ends fine, box rims w/ less than 32 spokes per wheel, no braze ons whatsoever, >170mm cranks (swap, prob @ dealer.) My pref for a bike would be really light, madison-style track bike.

You might want an NJS or <80's retrospec dorkcycle or an aero frame or ridiculous deeeeep rims or maybe actually race or you need something really ding proof cause you're a klutz.

Can't say not knowin.

actually, not meaning to derail this conversation, but i've been wondering about frames in the 800-1000 AUD range (for a fairly universal comparison, a 2010 cinelli vigorelli is available for 1250 AUD new), is it worth getting a new frame in that range or (as im going to japan in a few months) having a poke around for something used (NJS).

@ Gizmo, ended up getting a mag-trainer on sale. thanks mate.

should all trainers work with a fixed rear wheel?

Yeah, they are pretty adjustable. Need to fit pretty well most any bike; not everyone's a competitive roadie, there are some grandmothers soft-pedalling to soaps to stay in shape over the winter too.

As far as all you guys's's's 'worth it-not worth it?' indecisions, it's only worth it if you want it/need it. Define how you want your bike to ride and remove any marketing buzzwords from your description and be honest with yourself. Make a group of candidates from those needs and buy the one you think looks best.

This is my rock solid advice for bike love. Fit is a big part of it too, but don't get hung up on that till you've owned a few and have put some serious hours in.

@stunt: i check for 49/50cm frames on the daily..no luck so far D:

probably going with this now

3A.JPG

8A.JPG

1A.JPG

sup geico

img00088201012061320.jpg

-e-

^ said bike has been paid for. i'll be receiving it on thursday :cool: first thing to go are the bars and brakes. got some nitto rb-021s on the way. i want to run a different gear ratio too..currently it's a 46:16. think i'll go with a 17T cog for moar skid patches

ya'll have been real helpful, thanks.

-e-

^ said bike has been paid for. i'll be receiving it on thursday :cool: first thing to go are the bars and brakes. got some nitto rb-021s on the way. i want to run a different gear ratio too..currently it's a 46:16. think i'll go with a 17T cog for moar skid patches

ya'll have been real helpful, thanks.

nice dude, congrats. What was it all told? I dig the chub hub. What frame set is that? Looking to sell the risers?

nice dude, congrats. What was it all told? I dig the chub hub. What frame set is that? Looking to sell the risers?

yeah i haven't seen anyone with a chub here. it's an eighthinch V2 scrambler w/ 650c IRO forks. there aren't any shops around you that sell basic riser bars? :eek:

the bike reminds of a dragster..probably the color scheme coupled with bigger wheel in the back, along with the thickslick.