Bicyclettes

canice

I'd try to look for some fast frames. Yes they cost a bit more than slow and regular frames, but you'll be lapping all the roadies and ktothe in no time

suggestions? I mean, I mainly just want to try the basic fixie tricks, no stairs or anything like that. So obviously the frame doesn't have to be super solid. I'd rather have it ride well than trick well.

I want a fixie frame that will allow me to go 70MPH while only pedaling approximately 50 revolutions per minute. It also has to be made of a transparent metal, and cannot cost more than $250. I prefer drop bars, but am willing to settle for 'horns. Also, banana seat.

Thank you very much for help, in advance.

don't we all.

suggestions? I mean, I mainly just want to try the basic fixie tricks, no stairs or anything like that. So obviously the frame doesn't have to be super solid. I'd rather have it ride well than trick well.
Haha... oh well

Your current frame is probably just fine.. no frame will really make you faster or better, but if you're seeking the track look, I'd go with a Vigorelli off PBK. They bumped up the price a little, it was around 500 a couple months ago.. you can always use "extra10" coupon and you won't bust your budget too much

Prob the best tarck frame you can get for the money, if you can stomach the color scheme.

So, I'm trying to look around for some possible track frames. Basically something decent, 4130 CrMo, with a straight blade fork preferably. Can you guys think of any good bikes?

I've considered the volume cutter, eighthinch scrambler, bmw gangsta track, the various leader bikes, and some collabo bike from FTCsf, but i'm not sure how sold i am on any of them.

I'm not looking for a dedicated tricking frame or anything like that, just something i can go fast on and goof off with.

Oh and I'm not looking to spend more than like $500 on the frameset.

i'm partial to the brooklyns but building one up ain't going to be cheap. i would check out all-city, they sell the big block as a complete for ~800 - def the way to go on a budget since they can source components at wholesale.

i'm partial to the brooklyns but building one up ain't going to be cheap. i would check out all-city, they sell the big block as a complete for ~800 - def the way to go on a budget since they can source components at wholesale.

haha I'm not really worried about the cost of building up a bike as much as the cost of just the frame, because most likely i'll just end up taking my 700's off my other bike. (formulas laced to cxp23's). I'm just more interested getting a nicer frame now that i've done two conversions.

Depends on if the wheel was well built and stressed, or if your rim is jacked up at all.

If it's not rubbin your brakes or too wonky to go straight you can ride it.

I've played plenty of polo with guys with half a wheels worth of spokes left and they could still shred real well. If your wheel is way out of true you're not going to ride it though! When you go get a spoke, get some spares too, if you broke it while riding (no damage) they usually break a few at a time, so a nearby spoke might break after a bit too.

If you guys are into the Americana thick leather/canvas/Corter type bags, Duluth started making pretty thoughtful bags in that style, if you're into it. Quality/price is good, I'm not into this for bikes but the backpack I've got is absolutely the best:

banana-bike-bag-spr.jpg

img_0303_1.jpg

Just got back from a four hour ride. Wasn't all that far but it made me realise a few impracticalities when travelling longer distances on a fixie. No water bottle cage and didn't carry a backpack so no hydration handy. Had a flat out in the country and I didn't carry a spare tube, wrench or a pump. Thank goodness the diner had an adjustable for their plumbing and my mate on the road bike carried backup gear. Would've been a very long way home otherwise. Also very glad I wore padded lycra (under steezin linen shorts) and gloves. Chain came off the other day in a light crash but luckily there was a bike shop not far down the road.

Anyway, saw this the other day and thought it was very tidy.

http://2joes.blogspot.com/2010/10/finally-i-got-chance-to-upload-photos.html

My stable (and gf's by proxy) has grown a bit since I was last here.

Yellow one is an Argon 18 Mercury. Did Ironman Wisconsin on that one this year.

Blue guy with pink B43's is an old Trek 5200 frame (Lance's 2001 ride in the TdF) that I built up into a fixie for her. I got myself a White Industries Eno hub and build those wheels for her. Because I love her and shit.

The other one in that picture is my fixie. Probably have better pictures of it somewhere.

That last one is the Madone 6.9SSL that is being built for me. Being sponsored makes that "affordable!" Yes, it has brakes, but they don't show in that picture for some reason.

img0274q.jpg

img0242c.jpg

screenshot20100924at702.png

The only tool I HAVE to carry when I ride, is a whatever sized (i dont know the size) Allen wrench. I can adjust my saddle angle, stem height, bars, and take off my wheelset if I need to. Gotta carry at least one tool on you.

Usually I see people carrying a tire lever, as their everyday bike tool carry.

i always have a set of allen keys and my park tool ss-15 on me..useful as fark :D

The only tool I HAVE to carry when I ride, is a whatever sized (i dont know the size) Allen wrench. I can adjust my saddle angle, stem height, bars, and take off my wheelset if I need to. Gotta carry at least one tool on you.

Usually I see people carrying a tire lever, as their everyday bike tool carry.

What if you snap a chain or crack a spoke? It just doesn't make sense to carry only an Allen wrench. And what's the tire lever gonna do, open you a beer if you don't have spare tubes with you?

Tool kit should be proportionate to distance and support.

If you're going out for a century ride or four hours on new trails with some other guys, you don't ALL need chain tools. Minumum for any ride you can't walk, hitch, call, or get to a shop from should be tube, patches, pump, 4,5,6 allen keys. If you have good wheels you shouldn't need a spoke wrench unless you're mountain biking on the road.

For hydration, at strenuous effort, you're looking at 16-20oz. of liquid per hour regardless of season.

Don't forget cash, photo ID and a cell phone. Those are very important. If I didn't have my cell phone with me during one of my rides this year, I would have lost a lot of blood and would not have been found for a few hours.

Serious bidness.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say that you need x amount of water per hour as a general rule. Temperature, sweat rate and effort factor enormously into that equation. For instance, I rode 70-odd miles once or twice a week for about 6 months and my hydration needs varied wildly on those rides. One day, I went out with 2 24oz. bottles on the back and 32 oz. in between my aerobars. I drank ONE of those 24 oz. bottles. Another ride, I finished almost all of my drank at the 40 mile mark.

If you're going to make long-distance rides part of your life, figure out your sweat rate. I know it sounds corny, but that has helped me a lot this past year.

Also, if you snap a spoke and your wheel goes out of true to an unrideable level, your wheel is tensioned way too high. One spoke should never cripple a wheel. I lost 1 of my 20 spokes on a front wheel and rode home just fine. That said, I wouldn't ride that thing any further than home before you get it repaired.

Every time you ride, you should have a multi-tool, 2 tire levers, patches/tubes, pump/C02 cartridges, money, and a cell phone. That and a tail wind.

What if you snap a chain or crack a spoke? It just doesn't make sense to carry only an Allen wrench. And what's the tire lever gonna do, open you a beer if you don't have spare tubes with you?

Well if I ever snapped a chain, I'd already be SOL. A tire lever, allen wrenches or any other tool wouldn't be able to do shit for me. I don't know why anyone would carry spare chain links, aside from being worried about their chain. And if you're worrying about your chain whether it's going to snap or not, I'd think it's safe to say you'd need a new chain.

I don't carry tire levers, I got man hands. Patch kits or a dollar is good enough to fix a flat, no need for carrying a whole 'nother tube. Cept, my tool bag, IN my messenger bag, usually has a spare tube.

I haven't done a ride longer than 20 miles, in a LONG time. So I haven't carried a bag or tool pack in a while.

But, my reasoning for carrying an allen all the time... Already the points I've stated. But say you go down, and your stem twists and your bars aren't straight. Everything else is fine, but your stem is facing the wrong way. Simple allen to fix that. Happened to me a few Halloweens ago, when some lady cut me off and I went down. COULD'VE rode home, but I didn't have that single allen wrench to adjust my stem.

I have more use for my allen wrench than a tire lever.

:TL : DR:

Allen Wrench > Tire Lever/Spare Tube carry.