Bicyclettes

canice

It only looks ugly if you don't like skidding. Nuts to stem, yes ugly. I'm hardly out of my saddle when I skid. And I think I look pretty doing so.

Bad for your tires: well so is riding them on uneven pavement. That's life. And if you skid to stop, you know the risk of tire wear and buy your tires accordingly. Those who say they go through a rando in a week, are those who are doing it wrong.

Bad for you knees: not many things are good for your knees. I've had bad knees since I was competing in karate. But my knees feel better now, than then.

Hey satya that bike looks really nice man i was wondering though how come a lot of people only change the front tire's rim, or spoke, not exactly sure the term. I think it looks nice but i was wondering why people just do one im not saying it looks bad though

thanks for the kind words, I changed only the front wheels because I couldnt find the rear wheel, Araya's track bike factory is now closed, so they never produce any other track bike components ;)

^no big deal. The bar and even the grips can be cleaned with dish detergent or any bicycle cleaning foam. Just wipe with a sponge and it's ok. Of course it gets dirty after a muddy ride, but so far I had no problems. the MTB grips are replaced every 4 months or so anyway, because they start to lose grip then.

Edit: the pic of my MTB was taken after a whole day in the bikepark, after I cleaned with water. And it still looks acceptable, no?

Acceptable? It looks great man i especially like the green and white contrast, The grips on my bike are falling apart after only about 2-3 weeks, thats because i was riding back and forth to the skate park and to go downtown to go street skating, i would set my skateboard on the handle bars and the constant rubbing from the griptae or the trucks messed them up. I want to order some new ones though. The ones that came standard on my bike were brown and honestly they felt kind of cheap more like brown tape than a nice grip

Am I disqualified from being a cool biker when my response to fixie riders who criticize me for having to "think about what gear I'm in" is "well, you have to constantly worry about where your cranks are when you have to turn" ?

Never understood that argument. Once I get used to a pair of shifters, I shift without thinking. I do it without even noticing!

It only looks ugly if you don't like skidding.
Best argument ever.

Regardless, me saying it looks ugly was obviously subjective, and it stands no matter how close your butt gets to the saddle.

The rest of your post wasn't really making a point against what I said, but if you think your knees feel better now, update us when you hit 40. It's like a smoker defending his cigarette use cause 'his lungs feel better than back when he was working in the asbestos mine'

Best argument ever.

Regardless, me saying it looks ugly was obviously subjective, and it stands no matter how close your butt gets to the saddle.

The rest of your post wasn't really making a point against what I said, but if you think your knees feel better now, update us when you hit 40. It's like a smoker defending his cigarette use cause 'his lungs feel better than back when he was working in the asbestos mine'

Nobody gives a shit dude.

Skidders gonna skid.

Best argument ever.

It's not much an arguement or a retort, when you're just stating an opinion that skidding is ugly. Also when it's an opinion from somebody who probably never has ridden a brakeless track bike.

I think people who stand up while freewheeling is ugly as fuck.

My butt being in the saddle while skidding, looks as if I'm freewheeling, except my rear wheel isn't moving. Do I still look like I'm in bicycle riding mode? Yeah.

I'll still have my legs because I'm a badass and can kick harder than a motherfucker.

It only looks ugly if you don't like skidding. Nuts to stem, yes ugly. I'm hardly out of my saddle when I skid. And I think I look pretty doing so.

Bad for your tires: well so is riding them on uneven pavement. That's life. And if you skid to stop, you know the risk of tire wear and buy your tires accordingly. Those who say they go through a rando in a week, are those who are doing it wrong.

Bad for you knees: not many things are good for your knees. I've had bad knees since I was competing in karate. But my knees feel better now, than then.

I just wanted to add a little input. To me, brakeless riders are actually real track racers, people who want to look cool skidding and shit, tricksters, people who just like it for the aesthetics, or just plain idiots. I put on a front brake recently. Omgz no barspinz, but really, my knees dont feel as fucked up as usual, I can go faster without worrying about crazy drivers cutting me off and such, and I'm just safer in general.

and gatorskins are the probably one of the best tires for street use. I've had mine since last summer or so and I still have yet to pop a tube or change them. I might just be lucky or I don't skid enough. yep. I'll post pics of my bikes later. kthxbai

edit: and I really don't see how braking/skidding with a fixed gear is safer/faster for you than on a road bike.

what are some good gloves? its my first winter in the northeast and i plan to ride as much as possible on daily commute thru manhattan.

was considering some windproof cannondale dura gloves for cold but dry, and some cannondale LE winter gloves for when it rains. but then again maybe i should just take the subway when its raining... i just hate giving the MTA any $.

any thoughts?

what are some good gloves? its my first winter in the northeast and i plan to ride as much as possible on daily commute thru manhattan.

you'll figure it out but at some point you may have to go with normal gloves i.e. non-breathable things that actually keep your fingers warm. i have heard of some success with crazy work gloves doing the trick but other than that i must be missing something because even the heavier weight bike gloves don't do much for me....

The reason I choose to ride brakeless is because I like the feeling that I am one with the bike. My legs make me go, my legs make me stop. There are no assists whatsoever.

I know its safer with a brake, and Im thinking about putting one on. Just for the fact that if I get hit by a car and the insurance company finds out that there are no brakes, it could completely void any settlement I get.

It's illegal in CA, too. As you are from LB, I would get a brake because they're starting to crack down like mofos around here.

That feeling of "being one with the bike" is there when you have a brake, just don't use it haha. When you meet a stupid driver, you're gonna be thankful you got a brake.

was considering some windproof cannondale dura gloves for cold but dry, and some cannondale LE winter gloves for when it rains. but then again maybe i should just take the subway when its raining... i just hate giving the MTA any $.

any thoughts?

Warmth, especially at your digits, is not localized. They are the first things allowed by your body to get cold if the rest of it is not insulated well enough, so finger warmth really starts at your core. If you keep your core and head warm, the rest of your body will be warm.

I've ridden in super super cold winters for 8 years. If I ride hard in a windless day even in cold temps, I find myself removing heavy mitts. That said--with a closet full of various gloves--anything that feels thick in your palm or isn't dextrous is the worst and will cut off your circulation.

In NYC, I'd recommend the Defeet Duragloves (inexpensive/wool/awesome) for pretty much all winter. I've got a few Windtex gloves that are pretty good if it rains. There are some completely waterproof options, but most of them are pretty clammy. Wool is awesome, thick is awful, easy to put on and take off quickly is mandatory.

The reason I choose to ride brakeless is because I like the feeling that I am one with the bike. My legs make me go, my legs make me stop. There are no assists whatsoever.

I know its safer with a brake, and Im thinking about putting one on. Just for the fact that if I get hit by a car and the insurance company finds out that there are no brakes, it could completely void any settlement I get.

another reason to throw on a brake... when your chain pops as you're riding across the bridge...

actually seen that happen... and it wasn't pretty

new ride, many thanks to ML for answering all my dumb questions

brooklyn.jpg

i have yet to lock it up outside, i think deep in my heart i know she's too good for me.

random question - my wheelsets were advertised as having origin 8 hubs, so i was expecting the rebadged formulas that were pictured. however, not only were they unbranded but didn't match the pictures,,, anybody seen this particular cut out design before? not that i care too much but just curious

hub.jpg?w=261

lestat- That's a good reason, too, but I haven't seen that happen for myself. I would probably shit my pants haha

readytoignite- They don't look like the formula hubs on the Velocity's I have. Maybe origin8 made the design a tad bit different for some reason

edit: and sweeeeeeeeeet ride

IRO Mark V

79c542285cce4560b77a249164f08709_7.jpg

those are gold hubs. just a quirky filter I used from an iphone app.

Been riding fixed for about a month and I fucking love it. Aesthetically I hate having a brake, but practically I am thankful to have one. One of my shitty stock toe clips snapped while I was skidding. Have some R.E. Load straps I might put on, but I have to order some new pedals first. Thinking MKS Sylvans. Anyone have some pedal/retention setups they would like to share? I don't trick nor am I inclined to start so its mainly for commuting/mashing. I feel like lockdown straps aren't great unless you intend to spend most of the time doing freestyle stuff. Am I wrong in this assumption?

if you are trying to learn how to ride fixed in a city without a brake you are a dumb dumby.

buy some bmx platform pedals for the reloads. will last way longer than a pair of sylvans. i ride hold fast on platforms for my regular ride. best plus is you can ride in whatever shoes you need to.

^i havent been riding as long as most guys in here but after learning to ride fixed in the city, id have to agree. i dont need to use my break much but it comes in awful handy the moment some guy swings his door open into the bike lane. those real "oh shit!" moments.

you could always let your jaw slow you down though..

on that note, got clipped by some dick yesterday. bent my back axl to all hell as well as my seat rails :'[

rode shit like a lowrider bike all the way home

*edit- oh annnd my bearings are junk

**edit- oh annnd ive been awake for over 36 hrs straight

h8ing life. crying over.

I've been thinking about getting BMX cranks on my bike.

What exactly is the difference between 42x17 and 32x13?

The gear ratios are exactly the same given that the crank, wheel size, and other properties stay the same.

One obvious thing is that BMX bottom bracket gives a totally different feel i.e. more "direct"

Aside from that, anything else?

Prolly says that 42x17 is good for spinning tricks (keos and whatever) but "compact" pairing like 32x13 is better overall.

What's his reasoning?