Bicyclettes

canice

hey guys pretty nice to bikes and wanting to get something for a beginner... aim to spend no more than 200-400 dollars...

something on the road... light weighted, even fixed gear will do the trick :) any suggestions on what brand/model i can get? thanks heaps

google is your friend, brah. http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/single-speed-fixed-gear-fixie-bicyles.html or http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm might do it for you if you are looking soul-less and new. used would be your other bet.

doctor says that i need to exercise so i got off my lazy ass and pulled out my bike yesterday. i don't really know much about bikes but my bro is a crazy collector and this was one he shipped to me. i was thinking of changing this to a single speed and my bro would just send me the parts i need and switch out the parts i don't. he said some thing about shimano 600 ex brakes then listed wheel, crank, and stuff i can't remember. i just have to mail him back the dura ace parts, fsa crank, and rear spox wheel.

what do you guys think? convert?

4390916564_c3ea6d13be.jpg

4390146387_864a53d484.jpg

4391044686_822e951a1d.jpg

4390277089_3c4d0719b5.jpg

24235_371711699306_585094306_4886677_1079989_n.jpg

so walking back from my break at work and noticed couple fixedgears around the bike rack and thought nothing of it, came out to just see whats up and of course they break out and I'm left with the above (except the bike was on the ground). sad and angry with myself for not being more aware (I was basically outside standing next to them as they're hopping on and riding away). :(

here is what it used to look like... made away with thompson stem and deda pista bars. trying to find a bright side, i'm happy i still have my concor light saddle and the rest of the bike.

254ztea.png[/img]

Tip to help from theft:

Put super glue in the stem bolts and seat collar bolts. It'll help a little bit since it makes it harder for someone to steal. To remove glue, just put on acetone and it should break off, or scrape at it. And best lock up job (with one u-lock) is the Sheldon Brown method, lock the rear wheel through the rear triangle.

Googled this real quick:

locktechnique1.jpg

thanks guys. Whenever I'm out somewhere I normally try and lock up through the frame and front wheel... but I work at a health food store and the bike rack is right beside the exits and this was during our busiest time of day on Sunday ; so its really not even in my mind that this would happen there (plus Dallas scene isn't very big and we have security roaming the lot).

o well, been pretty bummed but I'm happy I didn't lose more and its been kind of shadowed by things that are much more important (family health), so just take it as a lesson learned and will def try the superglue and other ideas.

i have a bike guard lockjaw 1200 and if i feel like it I can get both wheels and the frame locked up, not quite to a parking meter which would be nice but its a really small lock so eh. I feel pretty confident when i get it all together like that, and if it still gets swiped I knew i did everything I could. Would be a shame but I'd rather have a bike stolen and try to take care of it than just live in fear all the time, you know?

I don't really see how that locking the rear wheel through the triangle would stop anyone from taking everything from the back wheel up.

I don't really see how that locking the rear wheel through the triangle would stop anyone from taking everything from the back wheel up.

Unless you can squeeze the rear wheel through the rear triangle, you're sol.

I think the best method to locking up though is put a strong u-lock through rear wheel + rear triangle + post. Then a 2nd u-lock through front wheel + main triangle + post. Or a cable to get the front wheel with the u-lock.

The Sheldon Brown method is real good, but I'm just afraid some dude would think oh it's only locked by the wheel.. I can maybe yank the tire off or something. Then they'd just end up leaving a fucked up bike for me. =[

I have a question for you fixed gear nuts. Im a roadie but want to build a vintage track/fixie. Im lost one where to go and look for parts. Are there any good online sources for vintage components?

Ideally I would want to end up with something like this:

152copy.jpg

The frame on that build is by Alien Bikes http://www.alienbikes.com/gb.html and the drop bars look like Nitto B123s http://store.somafab.com/nib1crtrbar.html

You'll have to do some searching to find a quill stem that looks quite as nice as that. I'm not sure where the forks are from, but I don't think they're Alien.

The frame on that build is by Alien Bikes http://www.alienbikes.com/gb.html and the drop bars look like Nitto B123s http://store.somafab.com/nib1crtrbar.html

You'll have to do some searching to find a quill stem that looks quite as nice as that. I'm not sure where the forks are from, but I don't think they're Alien.

Thanks. I did some research a week ago and spoke with Francesco the builder of http://www.bicibertelli.com/ bikes. I ordered all the parts and an alien frame, only a few more to arrive and its time to build! Ill post some photos when the project is done.

Commissioned by my old employer(adidas) for an auction. Miss this thing. It was auctioned off and proceeds went to multiple sclerosis research.

S5031506.jpg

New pic up!

Stunt, are you riding w/ clips? I rely heavily on my straps/cages for skidding, slowing down. I ride in downtown Toronto and for the most part, it's a smooth ride. Every once in awhile though, when I feel like biking during rush-hour, it's very stop and go and I weave through traffic like I'm in those Lucas Bernal video races.

I want a supercorsa pista but I'd have to stop paying rent/eating for a month.

Stunt, are you riding w/ clips? I rely heavily on my straps/cages for skidding, slowing down. I ride in downtown Toronto and for the most part, it's a smooth ride. Every once in awhile though, when I feel like biking during rush-hour, it's very stop and go and I weave through traffic like I'm in those Lucas Bernal video races.

yup.

MKS RX-1s to MKS cages with MKS double straps.

I still have a set of Time Atacs, but no shoes :/.