UGH TOO MUCH HATE TOO MUUUUUCH

bobbyhundreds

UPDATE: the board has gotten a more DAISY Age vibe as of late, and i expect that will continue, especially with the appointment of TiP as mod

i prefer the sunflower age myself ;)

image.php?u=3732

red's resurrection of the thread is a timely one.

will the hate ever go away? i think that's what makes the board edgy. but it's a keen balance. too much hate and the old folks will go gentle into that good night, but too little and the board becomes populated with yes-men.

if i can add to DDML's opinion...paying homage to the oldies can go overboard sometime. i'm guilty of this myself, but those "XXX the god has come back! hurrah!" posts that inevitably follow can get annoying. i get annoyed with my own posts sometimes...that whole zk series of posts for example.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. It was a phase the board went through and is still experiencing. Back in 2004 when SF was still on the down low, the community was very tight-knit and everyone would help each other out with items from their own countries with no question. New brands were discussed and actual constructive criticism was always given, no hate. Now, people are hating with no substance.

I don't know. It was a phase the board went through and is still experiencing. Back in 2004 when SF was still on the down low, the community was very tight-knit and everyone would help each other out with items from their own countries with no question. New brands were discussed and actual constructive criticism was always given, no hate. Now, people are hating with no substance.

would that have to do with simply having more members and hence more haters? i don't know...

remember when nudies and apc were cool?

and remember when people were trying to find this new hip brand called howie jeans?

would that have to do with simply having more members and hence more haters? i don't know...

I don't want to go as far as to say that more members = more haters because we've had some great members join in the past year that have contributed much to the growth and "aesthetic" of the board. It's just a phenomenon we can't really explain.

I dont see what the problem is...we all have to take the good with the bad...even if the scales tip in favour of one or the other....I think the moderators are doing a fine job by just letting posters sort shit out by themselves..its a public forum...not the meeting of some secret society...new and even harsh criticism should be encouraged, if not fully allowed.

with so many members, it's just easier to post criticism and hate than, "Nice". Hate is sometimes more interesting and entertaining than a lovefest. See Shark vs Cultpop trash. Hate balances out the love.

Or as my old friend Radio Rahim would say:

"Let me tell you the story of "Right Hand, Left Hand." It's a tale of good and evil. Hate: It was with this hand that Cane iced his brother. Love: These five fingers, they go straight to the soul of man. The right hand: the hand of love. The story of life is this: Static. One hand is always fighting the other hand; and the left hand is kicking much ass. I mean, it looks like the right hand, Love, is finished. But, hold on, stop the presses, the right hand is coming back. Yeah, he got the left hand on the ropes, now, that's right. Ooh, it's the devastating right and Hate is hurt, he's down. Left-Hand Hate K.O.ed by Love. "

The main threat to the quality of this board is that it is losing it's global nature. This board used to be about 'cool stuff' in all the major cities around the world. Nowadays it seems it's about cool stuff in NY, LA and SF. Thanks to the creation of superdenim, some new Japanese members signed up, but that's about it. Too bad.

Maybe it's because 90% of us have our own clothing lines, work in the industry, or are design gods in our own right. Maybe it's because we're punking out behind our computers and our online-aliases. Maybe it's because we really are just too cool for everyone else...

But yo, there is way too much hate and negativity on this board. I'm not callin' out for a cheerleader squad and pom-poms, and I'm not expecting everyone to candy-coat compliment everything, but damn, can't we get some love on the boards?

I'm beginning to dread checkin' these threads..

[OG]it never used to be like this[/OG]

haha..

For example, make a new post asking questions about ANY line out there (Stussy, FUBU, PRPS) and I guarantee there will be 1 normal and/or positive post for every 20 negative posts with one-liners like "Sucks!" "Go KILL YOURSELF." or "My line is better than yours."

Why is that..?

I'm not sayin' my hands are clean either, and I'm not sayin' everyone on ST's like this, but let's step up the respect and get back to objective, educated, feedback.

p.s. on another note, Jupe and I were just talkin about this the other night - quit hiding behind other names and big-upping yourself, or criticizing others. what're you skurrrd of? everyone can figure out it's you anyways..! comin off lookin like a CHUMP

[slowly stepping off soapbox]

thehundreds is huge.

www.thehundreds.com

very eloquently put. i understand what you're saying, but hating is necessary in my opinion. i talk alittle shit on this site and a bunch of others, but without that kind of hate these sites wouldn't be what they are, entertaining. it also keeps designers/labels/fashionistas in check.

to me, superfure was the anti niketalk. i don't totally hate streetwear, but if i wanted to check out the newest tee from supreme or whatever maybe i'd just go to that hypebeast board.

i applaud you for being a good sport in dontbelievethehypebeast.com, but why not take this board in semi-strides of satire as well?

too much negativity on this board? personally, i haven't seen any negativity in threads directed to any of the labels i am fond of.

admit it. if some character rolled up to your office wearing labels that you personally loathed, would you be angelic-friendly?

anyway i guess when you're in the public eye, it helps to keep up a persona of positivity-ala all-around nice guy.

I sort of doubt he's going to respond to this, jmatsu. That was a pretty old post your responding to.

I've been lurking since the beginning of 2005 or so, and it's changed considerably even since then. The board is still one of my favorite places to be, frankly, but there seems to be less new information and less discussion than there used to be.

Maybe it's slowly dying, maybe it's slowly reviving itself. We'll see another six months from now.

How so?

,hhl

because we know everything now. back then, we were still confused as to what selvage was, and there was only a handful of posters there to help us out. now that most of the important questions have been asked, and since weve been pressing newbs to use search, theres not much more to discuss.

come for jeans, stay for trash.

How so?

,hhl

I think it honestly has more to do with the fact that I've read so much on superfuture and have gained so many other "resources" and knowdlege and websites and things, that quite often by the time something hits superfuture I've already seen it, heard it, and made my own decision. My denim knowledge has been expanded to the point that very rarely do I see a post that elucidates anything new for me.

Then again, I consume magazines, blogs, forums, etc... obsessively, so this may not always be true for other people.

If it weren't for the trash and the humour these days I don't think that too much would be left for me.

There's always something new to be, though, so I hope superfuture surprised me.

Edit: red beat me to it.

because we know everything now. back then, we were still confused as to what selvage was, and there was only a handful of posters there to help us out. now that most of the important questions have been asked, and since weve been pressing newbs to use search, theres not much more to discuss.

come for jeans, stay for trash.

no...we don't. that's one thing i always like about supertalk. a new guy turns up, whether tony_hige or neilfuji, and you realise there's so much more about the denim we've missed. basic questions are answered, but i'm always wanting to find out more, go deeper

there's never a point where i can say my knowledge of denim has reached an acceptable level. always something new to figure out. i mean, what the shit is hank dyeing? i still don't really know.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad a well respected designer like bobby dropped his opinion on this site because it was urgently needed. Like most forums a majority of the posters are lames who seem to be on a mission to kill everything that drops...it's just sad. I don't even come on this site anymore, but when my boy told me Bobby Hundreds was airing everyone out I had to check it out.

I'm so glad a well respected designer like bobby
debatable. good on him and ben for managing their success well, but i think their stuff is cartoony. opinions are great!
dropped his opinion on this site because it was urgently needed.

debatable.

Like most forums a majority of the posters are lames

hardly. and is "lames" even a word?

who seem to be on a mission to kill everything that drops...

again, hardly. sf members who start their own lines, make their own jeans, alter their shit at home or get their hands on some new, rad pieces are constantly getting love. and for good reason. the occasional exception being the 16 year old kid wanting to know how to blow up his new, hype line of t-shirts...

it's just sad. I don't even come on this site anymore

you need to add "since i first joined two months ago..."

but when my boy told me Bobby Hundreds was airing everyone out I had to check it out.

i think you and "your boy" are stuck in a time-warp, 'cause this thread was started in '05...

Guest Fade to Black
debatable. good on him and ben for managing their success well, but i think their stuff is cartoony. opinions are great!

debatable.

hardly. and is "lames" even a word?

again, hardly. sf members who start their own lines, make their own jeans, alter their shit at home or get their hands on some new, rad pieces are constantly getting love. and for good reason. the occasional exception being the 16 year old kid wanting to know how to blow up his new, hype line of t-shirts...

you need to add "since i first joined two months ago..."

i think you and "your boy" are stuck in a time-warp, 'cause this thread was started in '05...

Excellent. Especially the last two.