When is it time to give up the streetwear or your current style

bron82

I know its a bit of a 'how longs a piece of string' question but it was going through my head is Im soon to leave Uni and start out in the real world. Anyone here given up wearing streetwear or naturally progressed to a more mature style. What age can you still get away with jordans and stussy t's? I see some people get away with it in their mid 30s but their few and far between. I guess its when you feel too old or it doesnt fit your lifestyle anymore. Any thoughts? Also not just streetwear but a particular style. A lot of people here have very distinct styles, is there a time to give in and jus go shop at GAP, or marks and spencers for u UK peeps on here.

i feel as long as you feel comfortable and confident in what you wear, you can pull it off. that being said, different situations call for different styles of dress, and as you age and go into the worl of buisness you will have many influences that you may not forsee.

even if you give up stussy and js, you dont need to look like the rest of the masses. a well fitting understated outfit will still have you looking better than 90% of the people out there. if anything, with age your look should become more timeless insted of being shaped by the latest trends.

your current style (if you have any to begin with) should be everpresent, just evolving as you go along. brokenglass and i were at the mall once and we saw this OLD man at club monaco, i'm talking in his 60s. he was wearing these really bad ass sneakers neither one of us could identify, slim fitting jeans, really nice jacket, and an armani exchange trucker hat. if it hadnt been for that trucker hat (which was terribly wrong), he'd have pulled that look off even at his age.

I think you will know when to give up streetwear. A far as shopping at GAP, c'mon. Streetwear is a style but if you spend enough money on it, it is pretty easy to put something together. I think you should look forward to changing your style as you mature and create something new, albeit maybe a little more challenging. Turning 30 does not condemn you to a life of khakis and oxfords but you may have to experiment some as you move away from the streetwear look. Good luck.Take a look at Carl, young, nice lookin fella with a great and mature look, even though he is probably nowhere near 30, I could see someone that age wearing some of his clothes and pulling it off nicely. Guys got great taste and probably does not go anywhere near GAP>

I'm not much of a 'streetwear' type so much as a skinny rock kid, but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, as I'm a music student. Being a musician is autopilot for never having to wear a uniform or cut your hair off (apart from the few occasions when you have to wear a suit, which I have absolutely no bones about doing :D).

I know its a bit of a 'how longs a piece of string' question but it was going through my head is Im soon to leave Uni and start out in the real world. Anyone here given up wearing streetwear or naturally progressed to a more mature style. What age can you still get away with jordans and stussy t's? I see some people get away with it in their mid 30s but their few and far between. I guess its when you feel too old or it doesnt fit your lifestyle anymore. Any thoughts? Also not just streetwear but a particular style. A lot of people here have very distinct styles, is there a time to give in and jus go shop at GAP, or marks and spencers for u UK peeps on here.

I think i may be having the same feelings as you, changing your look is an expensive business, I keep buying shoes, the very smart suit suited styles and to be honest they're less appropriate than my trainers when it comes to dressing. See, tan dress shoes dont look that great with jeans and a duffle coat. Im going to graduate this year and im already shopping at gap, things like cardigans can be worn over a streetwear lable tee and look great, I did vow to only buy v necks but its pointless doing that sort of thing. Just buy stuff you like and your style will show through the mix.

I wore a shirt and v neck the other day, then it was rained so i put my bonfire snowboard jacket on, i probably looked like a fool.

Most of the time a nice vneck with a tee underneath looks better with the majority of my clothes. A shirt undefneath just looks to dressy and I dont have the coat or trousers to back it up.

Are there not two questions here? One regards the evolution of your personal style, which is your own particular or signature sense of taste for evenings and weekends out. OTOH, professional worlds have their own uniforms, which includes the musicians, filmmakers and computer geeks as well as investment bankers. A perceptive eye can carry quite of bit of the first into the second, but part of the maturation process is learning to recognize the expectations and (pushable) parameters of the different worlds.

Regardless, the ancient adage remains: Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

i don't know if age will affect my style overall, like someone said up there it is more if i feel comfortable in what im wearing. I'm in my early 20s, still in school and still rocking stussy Tees and nikes. However i know after i graduate, i will have to present myself in a more mature way for work. But if im not at work, i would still rock whatever im rocking right now

i think your style is just your style. you dont have to conform to the "norm" at all. I think even Dave Chappelle rocks stussy ts at his age. You dont have to shop at Gap at all unless you think you need a piece from it for a look.

Although personally, Ive changed styles like 3 times this past year, and my huge stussy tee collection just got shedded on the last one. I for one feel that the graphic tee has died a death. I like blank tees now. But thats just my style.

Guest Fade to Black

eh...my style i'm sticking with it for a while. i've never been big on streetwear or fad-ish looks but it's still a pretty casual look that's proper for most if not all occasions. When I graduate college and get more money I'll stick with the same philosophy but collect more high end pieces.

Actually I can see myself at age 30+ wearing a really defined, stark look...rugged black cotton t-shirts of highest quality, basic black wool trousers, jackets and some quality shoes or boots...monochrome. Probably all Yohji, if he's still around by then.

For me, as soon as I started looking at jobs and MBA programs it hit. I simply can't pull off what I wish I could and have the same opportunities. I wish it wasn't true, but first impressions are huge when trying to interview or make connections. I simply can't afford not to conform.

^ I'd rather my style evolve naturally with my tastes rather than forcing myself to wear vneck sweaters, button-ups, and blank tees to look more mature or whatever. That way I'd feel more comfortable in the clothes I'm wearing.

Im not sure about the rest but I find myself 'evolving' rather fast as compared to my peers (no forcing thats for sure), pretty much opens up my view with regards to fashion.

If you keep your wardrobe varied, and always dress according to the event / situation, you should never feel uncomfortable.

Make sure you make investment purchases which you can wear accross a multitude of styles and that way you'll never feel the need to change your look, which I think is rather a radical and expensive thing for anyone to do.

I'm 34 and still rock Stussy tees and Bape hoodies and Vans where the situation permits, but I also have to dress smart for work. Dressing in a hoodie helps reinforce the point I'm not at work.

I've also got a number of smarter casual shirts which I will wear with jeans and shoes and maybe an overcoat for a meal out somewhere.

A lot of this stuff is a few years old and it still looks as good as when I bought it. Rather than buy a new wardrobe I just add to what I've got with a few key pieces each year. It tends to work out cheaper that way.

I'm not saying do as I do, I just think there are easier options to take if you want to change / update your look. But think hard before you start offloading garments.

you should allow your style to evolve and change through time and experience. im not a believer in stone cold quitting a specific style and starting up with a new one, i think that its overly artificial...make a smooth transition if anything.

style does not need to change... to me.. its just simply adding more dimensions to what u like... im still in university... and im always those tee + hoodie + jeans.. but sometimes i like looking for some nice plain knit wear and nice pants... can always combine it with some streetwear... and still look formal...

i never see it as changing style.. more like evolution of style...

Guest Fade to Black
you should allow your style to evolve and change through time and experience. im not a believer in stone cold quitting a specific style and starting up with a new one, i think that its overly artificial...make a smooth transition if anything.

while i'm not entirely sure of how a 'smooth transition' exactly takes place, something that always kills me is people (mostly in their teens, usually under 20) who go "yeah 2 years ago i was huge into Bape and Evisu, then last year I was killin it on that Dior Homme tip and now i got a closet full of LMaltieri/CCP/Ann Dem etc..." granted, that kind of a transition is a bit of an exaggeration, but shifts that drastic make me question whether they're really in it for the clothes and the aesthetic or they're wearing what they hear is cool.

Guest Fade to Black

don't get me wrong, it's OK to like all those brands in conjunction if you feel that they represent your style and personality well as different modes of self expression, but i'm talkin about people who are constantly switchin and ditchin hats like some talented Mr. Ripley shit...

I agree, I think many like the status associated with those things because they're missing something in their day to day and feel like they have to compensate. They name drop when they can but when it comes down to it, some of that stuff is downright preposterous. One day they'll realize they don't actually love the clothes they own, for what they actually are.

After awhile you start looking at your getups and while you've had some good purchases over the years you look at some of it and go wtf. It just happens one morning. My style is the culmination of years of buying all kinds of stuff, being conscious of my surrounding aesthetics and finding out exactly who I am and what I'm trying to convey and achieve. It's a nice just going out feeling like yourself and have girls and guys alike look at you up and down because you're on point. The key is you have to be honest with yourself.

Guest Fade to Black
After awhile you start looking at your getups and while you've had some good purchases over the years you look at some of it and go wtf. It just happens one morning. My style is the culmination of years of buying all kinds of stuff, being conscious of my surrounding aesthetics and finding out exactly who I am and what I'm trying to convey and achieve. It's a nice just going out feeling like yourself and have girls and guys alike look at you up and down because you're on point. The key is you have to be honest with yourself.

well said.

1. Depends what your income level is like no matter the age

2. Hopefully you're not some dick riding trend copier and have your own taste and style

I have cashmere socks and italian dress shoes and dress boots and even a Gucci suit and shirts , BUT why dress like that unless needed or I feel like getting sexy ?

Im no lawyer and a tee shirt and jordans or khakis + NB 576 + a cashmere sweater is definately more comfy than anything ..

Take a look at Carl, young, nice lookin fella with a great and mature look, even though he is probably nowhere near 30, I could see someone that age wearing some of his clothes and pulling it off nicely. Guys got great taste and probably does not go anywhere near GAP>

yeah he's nowhere near 30, he's closer to 80. grampa he is.

i will always be me. I may own suits to go to work in, but when it's my time in my life, I will always wear just what i enjoy...

even my suits will have flair... haha.

i never feel like I dress up, I simply exist... clothes just accentuate what I am.. they don't make me. I'm in college for industrial design. Yeah, I'll need a suit I'm sure and probably need to hide my tattoos and such, but I'll NEVER stop wearing exactly what I like, be it street fashion, skater-wear, hip hop, whatever.. be true to yourself forever.