APC denim

Geowu

So this is my first-ever post on supertalk. Here's my question:

I just got a pair of overdyed black new standards size 35. They're pretty big--they button easily around the waist anda re a little baggy around the leg. By contrast every day I wear a pair of raw new standards that I've broken in myself, size 33. These are a perfect fit--they might even be a little big around the waist and sometimes I wish I'd bought size 32. (Non-APC jeans I normally wear something like a 35 waist.)

Unfortunately I bought the overdyed jeans mail-order and it seemed, in emails with the APC people, that 35 made sense--but it doesn't. It doesn't sound like they have any smaller pairs left. I'm choosing between either returning them (which is lame, because they're great), or tossing them in the washer / dryer and seeing what happens. Has anybody done this? How much will they shrink? Will they get super-small, but still expand back out?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thing4kicks86

After browsing this thread for countless hours I finally found the style of APC I think will fit best for me, English, but they are discontinued correct?? What style that is available now, as I will be making a trip to the SoHo store this week, are close if not the same?? (Looser, little baggier than "tight" but fitted, wider bottom, selvage) Thanks.

Guest StuckOnStupid

The second picture is me trying on the APCs. They are definitely a lot tighter, almost skin tight in the thighs, but I am still able to button them up without any problem. The seems on the side do not seem stressed at all.

apcwo9.png

I'm not sure if I need them to stretch that much, but I definitely need them significantly looser than my Levis. So, could you please share your thoughts? Thanks,

ot

i got new standards in a 34 as my first APCs...when i wore em the first days cats were like "holy shit those are mad tight"....since then they have stretched so much they look like a different pair of pants. i liked the way they hugged my ass the first week...now thewy look a tad looser than yer levis. if you wanna break em in for looseness sake, sleep in em like 2-3 nights along with just wearing em. mine fit almost baggy now.

dear bodiem and estoric.

estoric i love the look of your jeans. how tight were they when you first got them, and how much would say they stretched,. im trying to decide wether to size one or two sizes down from my light wash NS.

Both of you, bodiem parituclarly, do you have any pictures of how your ns are after a couple of days stretching out.

cheers

stuckon stupid,

will you jeans ever get as baggy as estorics, pictured here

http://www.filelodge.com/files/room39/1114519/APC%5B3M%5D_2.jpg

ot

i got new standards in a 34 as my first APCs...when i wore em the first days cats were like "holy shit those are mad tight"....since then they have stretched so much they look like a different pair of pants. i liked the way they hugged my ass the first week...now thewy look a tad looser than yer levis. if you wanna break em in for looseness sake, sleep in em like 2-3 nights along with just wearing em. mine fit almost baggy now.

Hello all...below are pics of my first pair of raw denim (APC Hipster). Been wearing them for about 6 months, no wash yet. Trying to decide if they are ready for a washing and if so, what method to use. I'm thinking a light hand wash in the tub with Dr. Bronner's soap. I don't want toooooo much fading, so considering all that, how long should they soak and how warm should the water be? Luke warm, 1 hour, inside-out?

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/41544118_8e80/bc/Images/APC1.jpg?bfW7gUFB.qXr50fr

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/41544118_8e80/bc/Images/APC2.jpg?bf29gUFB98p7zEgI

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/41544118_8e80/bc/Images/APC3.jpg?bf29gUFBL6FJQSbp

Pic quality isn't that great, and I feel like they look a bit lighter and more vivid in the photos than in reality...

Thanks!

guys how much would you expect this guys jeans to stretch, i would say those are skin tight. is that how one should i buy them. are there any pcictures of how one thinks they might turn out.

im put off buying them this tight, but then again everyone says they stretch so much

ot

guys how much would you expect this guys jeans to stretch, i would say those are skin tight. is that how one should i buy them. are there any pcictures of how one thinks they might turn out.

im put off buying them this tight, but then again everyone says they stretch so much

it all depends on what look you're going for. IMHO, NS should be worn slim but not cheap monday tight. But generally, a safe rule is 2 sizes down.

As for stretching, they do stretch ALOT. My 28 measured 33.5 just the other day.. didn't measure the 28 exactly but it couldn't have been far off from 28.

no way- so if they started out at like a 30, (even though they were28 as they come out big) yo think they strteched out to a 33.5 arent they unwearable now though for you

it all depends on what look you're going for. IMHO, NS should be worn slim but not cheap monday tight. But generally, a safe rule is 2 sizes down.

As for stretching, they do stretch ALOT. My 28 measured 33.5 just the other day.. didn't measure the 28 exactly but it couldn't have been far off from 28.

no way- so if they started out at like a 30, (even though they were28 as they come out big) yo think they strteched out to a 33.5 arent they unwearable now though for you

yeah man, i can't really say anything cause i don't own any apc's but theres a lot of mixed info everywhere, some ppl say there is minimal streching (1-2 inches) others say 5 sizes O_O

The whole stretching thing is just plain common sense. The tighter you buy them, the more they are going to stretch. If your natural waist is 32", you'll probably stretch out whatever size APCs you go with (within reason) to about 33" or 34," depending on how active you are in them.

I've been wearing APCs daily for about 8 years now and I've bought them in sizes from 27" - 31", despite the fact that I've remained about the same size (around a 29 or 30" waist). They all end up stretching to about 32" or 33". If you like a really tight fit in the thighs/calves (those being the places least likely to get stretched out by general wear), buy them smaller; If you don't, don't. Rocket science it ain't.

duh no. they started out being real tight and hence were worn pretty high. at 33.5 it sits a lot lower.

that makes sense, so in then end, all of them were the same as ur 31's?

As far as the waist/ass area and the knees go, yeah - they all end up about the same size. I ride a bike a lot, so I might stress those areas more than someone who doesn't, but either way, the denim will only stretch if there is something causing it to stretch. Conversely, if you have a 30" waist and you buy 36" jeans, they're not going to stretch out.

Personally, I like a slimmer fit through the thighs/calves, so I tend to buy the smallest size that I can *comfortably* fit into and go with that.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/206/dsc006088mb2.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9263/dsc005999it3.jpg

dsc006088mb2.jpg

dsc005999it3.jpg

these are me in my 31 NS indigo pre-wash, in a size 31. they have since stretch quite a bit since this. to get my raw Ns standards like this, or perhaps a smidge tighter, what size should i get considering the ones in the photo are 31

cheers

The whole stretching thing is just plain common sense. The tighter you buy them, the more they are going to stretch. If your natural waist is 32", you'll probably stretch out whatever size APCs you go with (within reason) to about 33" or 34," depending on how active you are in them.

I've been wearing APCs daily for about 8 years now and I've bought them in sizes from 27" - 31", despite the fact that I've remained about the same size (around a 29 or 30" waist). They all end up stretching to about 32" or 33". If you like a really tight fit in the thighs/calves (those being the places least likely to get stretched out by general wear), buy them smaller; If you don't, don't. Rocket science it ain't.

can you take pics of you with your 27's and another with your 31's?

that would help a lot:)

lol hear so many ppl say to size down, you actually sized up on the 31's...gotta see that

ok, so after close examination of the label- ie looked- i realised that my jeans in the pictures above are actually cures, size 31.

no wonder i was getting confused when the woman at apc said get the same size in raw as washed when you buy the same cut.

so to be honest i probs should have gone for a size 30 in these cures.

could someone tell me what size raw cure i should get, 30 or 29.

also can someone explain the difference between cure, new cure and new standards. i tried on some new standards with a straight let today in a 30 and they looked rubbish. really big on thigh and bum, and masses of wide baggy fabric around the leg.

so could someone just give me a run down.

many thanks

i got a pair of the new cures that ive been wearing for about a week and a half, in a 31. i can button them up pretty easily, and have no problem walking, but they are still a little tight in the waist. nothing TOO uncomfortable, but still, when or will these stretch?

can you take pics of you with your 27's and another with your 31's?

that would help a lot:)

lol hear so many ppl say to size down, you actually sized up on the 31's...gotta see that

I'm not sure if I still have any 31s still around. They'd be 8 or 9 years old at this point, probably living in a box somewhere in my parents' basement. All that are handy are a pair of 27s and a pair of 28s:

apcs.jpg

As you can see, there's no real difference in waist size between the size 28 hipsters (on top, about 1.5yrs old) and the size 27 cures (about 6 or so months old).