APC denim

Geowu

futile or pointless? The advantage in my mind of getting a tailor to do original hem is that you actually end up with someone that knows what they're doing. If your looking to find a good tailor that has plenty of demin experience what is a better litmus test to use?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree it is pointless for raw denim. however, i think it's a good idea to keep them just in case your jeans shrink too much on the first wash. then the hems can be reattached to cover the extended length.

"God is Dead" - Neitzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Neitzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

I called around and found tailors who reattach the hem. It's called a eurohem, and it costs about $20.

I would think it unnecessary on new dry jeans, but I've been wearing my Rescues for some time and the hems are now uneven (guess some parts of the legs already started shrinking) so I will probably have to wash them before hemming. The hems will likely "pucker" after that, so a eurohem makes sense.

Even so, I want to see how it's done, so I'd of probably gotten it anyway.

Hem-reattachment as mentioned above is absolutely unnecessary with APC dry jeans. They are simple hems done on regular sewing machines. Any alteration service will be able to do them, it's about the easiet thing you can do with a sewing machine.

If you're being extra anal, then it would be better to seek out someone who could hem the jeans using a chainstitch machine. A thin hem on a chainstitch machine will give a better 'roping' effect to the hems after washing.

(even a thinner hem done on a regular machine would be nicer for the APCs).

Sway-

How do they do it? Is there a new seam going across the pant legs?

ringring-

What if I wash my jeans before I hem them? A standard hemming will only look right if I do it before washing, right?

Hem reattachment is done rather like putting a cuff on a shirt. The original hem is removed, the legs are shortened, and then the original hem is sewn back on like a binding, with the leg held inbetween old hem in a sort of pincer move. Hard to explain in words, but it's a simple process.

For the APCs don't worry about hemming them after you wash them. It's a simple hem and will look fine if you do it after a wash.

Quote:

With any luck you'd get to use the condom though ;)

--- Original message by Guy H on Jul 1, 2005 07:31 AM

Yeah, but having the imprints of a condom on your back pocket might be like saying "I haven't had any in 6 months". That could be fun though, if anyone's cool enough to think it's fun and not weird :)

tally-hoo

Guest Guy H

I'd go for a bottle opener or something like that if you're going to do it.

Maybe dangle a stars and stripes rag out of the other pocket ;)icon_smile_big.gif

only time you need to attach the original hem is on jeans that are already washed cuz they look funky without the puckeredness and worn/frayed hem, so i agree that it's pointless to do it on the rescues or the anglais.

as a matter of fact when my tailor shortened mine, it looked a whole lot better than the job that APC did on them. the stitching line was a lot straighter and he used a thicker, matching nylon thread, cuz i told him i was going to be working them in really hard.

hey been lurking around for quite some time. this board is seriously something else. anyhow help a newbie out. ive been lookin at the new standards and the cure jeans and am wondering which provides the slim tapered look. understand that the tight jeans are v dior homme-ish but i would like something less skinny. should i downsize or go for the standards? thanks loads

hey been lurking around for quite some time. this board is seriously something else. anyhow help a newbie out. ive been lookin at the new standards and the cure jeans and am wondering which provides the slim tapered look. understand that the tight jeans are v dior homme-ish but i would like something less skinny. should i downsize or go for the standards? thanks loads

phwoar realli fly pair of jeans you have there serge. are those the standards? they look kinda full in the legs for me. would downsizing 3 help me in gettin the slim silhoutte? and wouldnt they be a bitch to wear being so small? sorry for all the questions. wanna get my APC phase off to a good start