One more wtf kinda selvage is this thread - ddml ?

__3xL

K here we go again .. weeeee ..

Why in the world would levi's make selvage jeans and then serge the edges ?

5058.JPG

Were they worried the machines were failing towards their end doing the self edge and sewed it ?

Does the selvage line go all the way up to the waist? I have a pair of Levis Reds that have the same thing.. I had to rip up the serged seam to expose the greenline, but because they twist it only goes up to the top of the knee. I think they just started from top to bottom and went all the way down, rather than ending the serge seam where the selvage edge begins.

Is there any indication whether this was done at the mill or at the garment sewing facility?

If it was done at the mill (which I doubt) the serge would have run along the entire side seams front and back panels. If the sewing facility had to remove some of this (which doesn't seem practical) you might see some evidence (like on the hem).

is the selvedge edge beneath the overlock finished as any selvedge should be?

Yes it is tip

Are they stitched up at the top? I've seen jeans that only have selvage about half-way down the leg, and they were stitched over the selvage like that at the bottom. I've never seen the Levi's RED case, but it sounds like the same thing minimal is talking about.

it is a full run of selvage all the way up - no twist whatsoever - so I assume it was done at the factory . Levi's red tag does not say levi's - only the R

they are 505's from 1966 - have a talon zipper and #6 on top of waist button

5052.JPG