Clothing Company in the Making. NEED SF'ERS OPINIONS!

Ockid

props to you for having the balls to try something like this

i'm not a fan of the shirts but then i'm not a fan of most of the streetwear out there...

i'm going to echo ratatat and say that you sound like someone who's pretty levelheaded, keep it real and keep going i say. :)

u know, i think ockid is quite sincere and he knows exactly what he'll be doing. who cares if he's not 'street' or if his stuff aren't really 'street'. he's just doing what he likes, and isn't that the point of doing something. he's still young too, but you don't get get these kind of wide-eyed delusion that comes from kids this age--he's aware of what he i scapable of and knows how he could go about making that happen.

that said, still not feeling the tees. the typography could be better really. and more originality would help.

Im not sure if you are capable of writing one up yet......but write up a business plan. It will help alot in almost every aspect of starting up a business. Im sure you will find guidelines on how to write one up if you google it.

However i wouldn't base my ideas and designs on what the people in SF want. You said you are targeting people of Ottawa, so target them not SF. If ideas such as 'goldcollar' or 'fake is murder' is what people in Ottawa want, then continue what you are doing while fixing up your current designs (cause they really are horrible sorry lol). Just do as much research as possible, you will find that the fine line between success and failure will eventually broaden, thus influence your decision on whether to continue this project or not. Normally i would suggest at least a year just on planning alone, but due to the fact that trends in fashion change at a fast rate, planning may prove to be difficult.

You seem to have a pretty good attitude towards this. If you do fail, i hope your attitude continues to be this positive as you have alot of potential and traits in what i call a good entrepeneur.

I also like the name Fake is Murder and prefer it over Goldcollar.

So, what exactly do trust-fund kids have to do with the streets?

you're kidding me, right?

who exactly do think is running all those "dope" new york shops, anyways? who do you think has the means to do nothing but sit around and figure out how to brand their "lifestyle" instead of working a 9-to-5 job?

the streetwear elite are the sons and daughters of the power elite, don't get it twisted, it's the same tea-party.

who exactly do think is running all those "dope" new york shops, anyways? who do you think has the means to do nothing but sit around and figure out how to brand their "lifestyle" instead of working a 9-to-5 job?

the streetwear elite are the sons and daughters of the power elite, don't get it twisted, it's the same tea-party.

Elaborate, please, because everyone who makes this argument never seems to back up their claims with facts. Everyone that I know in streetwear- and I'm speaking for NYC here- has had to put in just as much time and effort into what they do as anyone working a 9-to-5. What, 'cause A-Ron's parents owned a health-food store he's a trust-fund kid?

Maybe our perception of 'power elite' is different, but here, the power elite are people with the last name Bloomberg, Trump, Hilton, Murdoch, etc. Big city, big moves- I've never seen any ties between streetwear and the truly influential New York upper crust.

Out of curiosity, is there any proof and/or examples of that, or is it an assumption? I would be interested to read or hear any stories, that kind of puts a whole different spin on things if it is true

Make leather jackets with tons of pockets and stuff, and maybe use the prints on the lining! Thats something exciting!

Ooo, make it look like Indiana Jones style, the new movies coming out and people are going to be all over that shiz!

Youve got experience and access with leather! Use it to your advantage, create something people havent seen before! Plus you can have a little bonding session with your pops! Learn the craft son, thats how Paul Frank started out (albeit not with leather) and look at him now! Hes soaring! Im sure your dad could give you a loan to start out with in like 4 years when youve honed your skills.

Anyone can print shit on a premade Tshirt, and everyone does anyway.

As for the name, I think Trust Fund Baby sounds nicer than GoldCollaR. But then again, just about anything does.

Whatever you do, dont cut corners. People respect people who care about what they do.

Guest chiquita_chaser

Think you got shissled the wrong spin oan that. I would say the brands are somewhat less important to the quality of the clothing. The brand is more like a way to communicate for the designer. Mibbe I'm likes, wrong and aw. But's just what I came out with when I thaught 'bout it.

(If God was one of us he would be like me)

Make leather jackets with tons of pockets and stuff, and maybe use the prints on the lining! Thats something exciting!

Ooo, make it look like Indiana Jones style, the new movies coming out and people are going to be all over that shiz!

Youve got experience and access with leather! Use it to your advantage, create something people havent seen before! Plus you can have a little bonding session with your pops! Learn the craft son, thats how Paul Frank started out (albeit not with leather) and look at him now! Hes soaring! Im sure your dad could give you a loan to start out with in like 4 years when youve honed your skills.

Anyone can print shit on a premade Tshirt, and everyone does anyway.

As for the name, I think Trust Fund Baby sounds nicer than GoldCollaR. But then again, just about anything does.

Whatever you do, dont cut corners. People respect people who care about what they do.

though that IS a great idea...how would i distribute it to the stores?

The world of "fashion/clothing" is much, much bigger then superfuture and niketalk. 2 internet message boards cannot be the only or main audience for your products. And posting up your ideas is probably not a good start if your ideas are not that great or well developed. that starts people off with a bad taste in their mouth.

he said it best! although many people here have good input and great, what can you really get from a shit load of people telling you 5 million different things about a pre mature line?

a clothing line should come from your own personal creativity, its just on you to b able to hit all the needed aspects of the project you are working on...

as I myself am working on a line and taking my time with it...not rushing anything! having an answer for all possible ?s that may b asked by anal whores who probably deep down dont give a shit but to see if your on your toes! b very detailed and make sence...one thing I cant stand is rushed brands that make no sence!

o and like many have said...specialize in something other then t-shirts...personally I have some icons that will be in my tees, which will start out in the begining tees and some other basic garments, just for the begining! We are always working on concepts and more technical pieces for the future and grown into what we want it to eventually be!

also... think Longevidy also...many brands are only thinking about the season there dropping and not realizing how hard it is to come back epsecially if success in the first run...

think about it...and as dude said...back to the drawing board...

i personally like Cosby Clothing approach at displaying there new line...

Hey OC,

You do seem like a really nice chap and level headed as stated before. I say go the with t-shirts idea, its gotta be the best/easiest stepping stone to getting into the business. It will give you experience with business, working with suppliers, screenprinters and the market etc. Getting this kind of experience so young will be invaluable, not only for this project but any other in the future. If its T-shirts, make them memorable, go crazy and make them stick out like a sore thumb. I see loads of t-shirts on the net, but will forget about 95% of them in one day. Good luck brother!

• 1 month later...
Out of curiosity, is there any proof and/or examples of that, or is it an assumption? I would be interested to read or hear any stories, that kind of puts a whole different spin on things if it is true

I went to school with Bobby Kim, a la "the hundreds". I really don't know to what extent his social-economic background is, but he was the only purple spikey hair kid (pacifer and all) pushing a beemer to the massive (rave).

So maybe it isn't completely true, but streetware is definitely a misnomer.

props to you for having the balls to try something like this

i'm not a fan of the shirts but then i'm not a fan of most of the streetwear out there...

i'm going to echo ratatat and say that you sound like someone who's pretty levelheaded, keep it real and keep going i say. :)

how the hell does it take balls to do this? his parents are giving him money to fritter away on an inconsequential 'project'. there is no risk involved.

call it "spoiled little fuck" and just print shirts that have pictures of your parents.

Ockid, i gotta give you credit for taking all the criticism so well. you seem very level headed at only 16.

i personally think your shirts are not that great, but a couple of them aren't horrible either. just keep at it and your designs will get better. when you're designing, don't fall in love with everything. take a step back and really critque it. and don't let any harsh comments on here discourage you. st is just a community that tries to filter out the good shit from the weak shit. a part of the reason why it's so FUCKING GREAT. and look, all the comments were pretty harsh until you replied so well and now ppl are giving you advice and wishing you luck.

so yeah, goodluck