Denim in Singapore

tweeds

hi all.

was born in singapore, but emigrated at a rather late age [12] so had to head back and do ns in 2005. finished with that shit and back home where i belong already but just wanted to raise a few points.

1) how is it that singaporeans in general have such shitty dressing then you guys come along and are such denim heads? [i think those who did NS will especially know what i mean. standard SAF book out civvy attire of a polo tee, crappy $10 jeans and new balance PT shoes. and they wear that out as well.]

2) does anyone agree with me that the malays in sgp seem to place a lot more importance on looking good [and more often than not, are far better dressed] than their chinese counterparts? it hit me when i went back that girls are almost always dressed the same in their miss sixty jeans, zara/MNG tops and a pair of flats or something.

3) i love the food in singapore. singapore food shits on everyone. except maybe malaysia. but in malaysia, its all around malaysia. singapores so small you can hit up everything in one day. although with a lotta people, the only cuisine that they'll ever try or even know exists is local, chinese [ie. everything szechuan, beijing, shanghai, taiwanese], korean, japanese and western [ie. everything italian, spanish, mexican, american, english, french, lebanese etc.] singapore's got awesome food but y'think with people so passionate about their food, they'd know a bit more?

4) shits wayy too expensive. a beer here costs 4.50 in a decent club/bar. a bottle of tiger beer would set me back 12bucks [slightly more than a pack of smokes]. thank god for midnight madness offers.

okay i just realised. this belongs in superjetset or supertrash. my bad.

hey styleofmind

for point 1), its true i totally agree that those people who wear their PT shoes out are totally not cool. especially those who top them off with bell bottoms.

2) i'm trying not to be racist.

3) food here is awesome. yeah some of us do appreciate good food. i dont know if all i know is only chinese [ie. everything szechuan, beijing, shanghai, taiwanese], korean, japanese and western [ie. everything italian, spanish, mexican, american, english, french, lebanese etc.] but like many other singaporeans i'm very adventurous with food.

4) i totally agree that booze is way too expensive i spend hundreds to get drunk weekly. and that sucks especially when in places like australia beer is cheaper than coke.

last but not least,

think u just came back from zouk(midnight madness sounds so zouk). haha

i just did. and i think i saw damienos.

also i think you're high or really annoyed cos its 4am and you are bitching online. ha!

hey styleofmind

for point 1), its true i totally agree that those people who wear their PT shoes out are totally not cool. especially those who top them off with bell bottoms.

2) i'm trying not to be racist.

3) food here is awesome. yeah some of us do appreciate good food. i dont know if all i know is only chinese [ie. everything szechuan, beijing, shanghai, taiwanese], korean, japanese and western [ie. everything italian, spanish, mexican, american, english, french, lebanese etc.] but like many other singaporeans i'm very adventurous with food.

4) i totally agree that booze is way too expensive i spend hundreds to get drunk weekly. and that sucks especially when in places like australia beer is cheaper than coke.

last but not least,

think u just came back from zouk(midnight madness sounds so zouk). haha

i just did. and i think i saw damienos.

also i think you're high or really annoyed cos its 4am and you are bitching online. ha!

actually i got home at 5am sydney time. but daylight saving so roll it back an hour, i got home at 4am. couldnt sleep [2nd night in a row] and what else to do but sufu!? so i posted at 6am syd time. which if you take into account the time difference, is 4am singapore time.

1) during NS days, every single day i had to get my eyes washed with cleaning fluid from the sight of that. dont they know how ugly it is!?

2) its not being racist if its true. i said in general. not all. but in general. and you know exactly what i mean. i'm singaporean-chinese too if that helps.

3) again, im talking about the singapore populace as a WHOLE. not the people with obviously enough class and culture to know whats good clothing and whats not. i'd expect that you'd have similar discerning tastes when it comes to food AND the fact that you can/actually bother to type properly without the use of stupid emoticons puts you in my books [although we've never met in person] above 99% of the singapore population wHo tYpE Lyk DiS!~ adventerous is one thing. being broad is another.

4) get this. tiger beer is cheaper in sydney than in singapore. last i checked, tiger beer was made in singapore right? so how come its going for 5/btl here?

and im in sydney. and if i were in singapore, saturday nights are all about mos smoove members. in fact. i almost only head up to zouk wed nights. heh.

in my experience, these people have a not so trendy dress sense due to their perception that t-shirts should only cost 20 bucks and shoes exceeding 50 dollars is a waste of money. As such, they turn to brands such as giodano and bossini which have imo zero style. Malays do have a better dress sense than Chinese in Singapore, after all i got the courage to wear skinny jeans after seeing them brave Orchard road with their tapered Levi's.

in my experience, these people have a not so trendy dress sense due to their perception that t-shirts should only cost 20 bucks and shoes exceeding 50 dollars is a waste of money. As such, they turn to brands such as giodano and bossini which have imo zero style. Malays do have a better dress sense than Chinese in Singapore, after all i got the courage to wear skinny jeans after seeing them brave Orchard road with their tapered Levi's.

That's true. Some of them think they dress well, but mostly they just don't really bother, they are more interested in other things than clothes like us.

what!? there are things more interesting than clothes!? in singapore!? you gotta be kidding me. haha jokes. but i think the average person has wayyy too many things to spend on other than clothes though, i'll agree.

chances are those who buy all these clothes etc, hit clubs and stuff.

booze in singapore = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

therefore. make a decision. good clothes, or good nights?

That's true. Some of them think they dress well, but mostly they just don't really bother, they are more interested in other things than clothes like us.

yup damienos i was rocking a pair of imperials bought from a store called the lawn. hmm. wonder if you heard of it. haha

and yes zouk was boring that night. could it be sonny's fault?

not much crowd man.

lek you are damn right about the NS allowance. its a real bitch. its tough enough to feed yourself and get pass for your ass to get around the island let alone buying expensive clothes.

styleofmind 'the fact that you can/actually bother to type properly without the use of stupid emoticons puts you in my books [although we've never met in person] above 99% of the singapore population wHo tYpE Lyk DiS!~ adventerous is one thing. being broad is another.'

haha thats absolutely hilarious! but its so true. i cant agree with you more.

and booze here is expensive because of the alcohol tax the government imposes. and yes that makes tiger beer more expensive in the country of manufacture(s'pore) as compared to elsewhere.

i choose good clothes, good nights and no savings. haha

xviralx, nickt, evanism, skcusdog: please inform me when you guys have made payment, i have received payment from two of u via ATM but i have no idea who it is from. for the two who have yet to pay, please do so by Monday evening (tomorrow), i will be ordering at night on the same day.

not putting any race down; I think its not that singaporean guys don't give a damn about how they dress, but we're severely limited by the weather. its too fricking hot and humid to throw on and accessorize more than the necessity. Style and dressing is also dependent on comfortability levels, and it just isn't comfy at all when you've got nice layers of clothes on but sweat keeps trickling down your balls.

i feel awesome in my sneakers, denim and t shirts. and if you think abt it, thats the basic staple. its just how everyone wears their sneakers, jeans and t shirts that form opinions.

i love how this conversation just appeared on this thread. we should have more singaporean threads.

Yeah, but they prefer to buy games and trading cards and stuff like that instead on clothes. Some of them just don't know shit about labels or bother being interested enough. Mostly, when it's CNY they just raid Bugis street, they buy fake labels they also don't even know. It's a joke when my friend wears an oversized wrinkled fake volcom with the colour running at the back.

what!? there are things more interesting than clothes!? in singapore!? you gotta be kidding me. haha jokes. but i think the average person has wayyy too many things to spend on other than clothes though, i'll agree.

chances are those who buy all these clothes etc, hit clubs and stuff.

booze in singapore = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

therefore. make a decision. good clothes, or good nights?

xviralx, nickt, evanism, skcusdog: please inform me when you guys have made payment, i have received payment from two of u via ATM but i have no idea who it is from. for the two who have yet to pay, please do so by Monday evening (tomorrow), i will be ordering at night on the same day.

I transferred alr. Thanks for the favour, appreciate it. :D

on the other hand, alot of those singaporeans that do "care" about how they dress, end up spending alot of money assembling these "street" outfits that look horribly whack, but they still think they look good. oh well.:o

perfect examples:

http://www.frontallabs.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5499

still, u have to admit, some of the frontal guys actually look pretty good in some outfits. but let's not make this some inter-forum thing, it is two different styles we're talking about anyway.

still, u have to admit, some of the frontal guys actually look pretty good in some outfits. but let's not make this some inter-forum thing, it is two different styles we're talking about anyway.

nah i wasn't saying that they all look like clowns. im just saying that alot of them look like clowns. there are many nice pieces of clothings on frontal, but very few good outfits. and its not an inter-forum thing, both forums are actually not that style specific. and i'd admit, ive been a big fan of street culture and how it works. i just think most locals get blinded by piecing glorious limited stuff together and looking funny instead of mixing it up and getting a proper fit.

i love frontal KTS pages.:)

Yeah, but they prefer to buy games and trading cards and stuff like that instead on clothes. Some of them just don't know shit about labels or bother being interested enough.

i hear that man. maybe its just me but it seems that singaporeanS in particular [not just the males] dont know as much about labels + fashion styles as people from other places. it all seems so generic, buying everything from topshop, mango, zara etc. not that theres anything wrong with that, but... it gets to a little boring and across the board, its all the same? i swear, any given night, any given club, you'll find at least 1 out of every 10 girls who're wearing a black top, blue jeans and heels. sure its a common outfit but im sure you know what i mean. almost always a black spag top etc.

not putting any race down; I think its not that singaporean guys don't give a damn about how they dress, but we're severely limited by the weather. its too fricking hot and humid to throw on and accessorize more than the necessity. Style and dressing is also dependent on comfortability levels, and it just isn't comfy at all when you've got nice layers of clothes on but sweat keeps trickling down your balls.

i feel awesome in my sneakers, denim and t shirts. and if you think abt it, thats the basic staple. its just how everyone wears their sneakers, jeans and t shirts that form opinions.

i love how this conversation just appeared on this thread. we should have more singaporean threads.

agreed. especially booking out of camp, i had a long ass walk to the main road to grab a cab home [hehe. stay out personnel :D] even a teeshirt and a pair of jeans felt like wayyy too much.

theres nothing wrong with sneakers denim and teeshirts. thats FINE. its just the quality of things that people wear in singapore... ill matched, badly colour coordinated not to mention disgusting fits.

yup damienos i was rocking a pair of imperials bought from a store called the lawn. hmm. wonder if you heard of it. haha

and yes zouk was boring that night. could it be sonny's fault?

not much crowd man.

lek you are damn right about the NS allowance. its a real bitch. its tough enough to feed yourself and get pass for your ass to get around the island let alone buying expensive clothes.

styleofmind 'the fact that you can/actually bother to type properly without the use of stupid emoticons puts you in my books [although we've never met in person] above 99% of the singapore population wHo tYpE Lyk DiS!~ adventerous is one thing. being broad is another.'

haha thats absolutely hilarious! but its so true. i cant agree with you more.

and booze here is expensive because of the alcohol tax the government imposes. and yes that makes tiger beer more expensive in the country of manufacture(s'pore) as compared to elsewhere.

i choose good clothes, good nights and no savings. haha

cheeers :D. and i wholeheartedly agree with the last statement. my NS pay was gone within 4 days of me receiving it hahahaha. if you work it out, even back then as a combat fit spec in an active infantry unit, 700/month works out to be about 80cents an hour, assuming we work 24hrs. which we kinda do what with duties and all.

dudes, uncles like me received much less allowance 10 over years ago! Much less in the earlier years for older dudes ..... but things move on, and improved .... Or have they? :(

definitely some improvements here and there...

money value back then is bigger than money value now!!

not really, if you ask me ..... :( From my observation, the thing that stalls, if not moving in reverse here, is what I value a lot ..... QUALITY of the stuff I buy ..... :(

by the way, could resist the temptation ........

cheeers :D. and i wholeheartedly agree with the last statement. my NS pay was gone within 4 days of me receiving it hahahaha. if you work it out, even back then as a combat fit spec in an active infantry unit, 700/month works out to be about 80cents an hour, assuming we work 24hrs. which we kinda do what with duties and all.

700 a month? i'm a lousy noncombatant LCP--i make do with 370. :(

and i don't club, but i'm always hanging out at boat quay and arab st--and i love the styles on the street there. don't really think a club's necessarily the best slice of dressing action. when i'm wandering about the streets at night there's always someone dressed really well that catches my eye.

and not just in the streetwear sense--sometimes i've seen a suit that's cut perfectly, pocket square and all, and i think: wow that's hot. in more ways than one...

i hear that man. maybe its just me but it seems that singaporeanS in particular [not just the males] dont know as much about labels + fashion styles as people from other places. it all seems so generic, buying everything from topshop, mango, zara etc. not that theres anything wrong with that, but... it gets to a little boring and across the board, its all the same? i swear, any given night, any given club, you'll find at least 1 out of every 10 girls who're wearing a black top, blue jeans and heels. sure its a common outfit but im sure you know what i mean. almost always a black spag top etc.

Yeah, guys already have limited labels to buy from, let alone girls who have tons of outlets everywhere and those livejournal sprees. It's always that same top with tights, or black skinny with flats/heels/chucks.

On another point, I have friends who think paying more than $70 for a pair of jeans is stupid. Wow.

Yeah, guys already have limited labels to buy from, let alone girls who have tons of outlets everywhere and those livejournal sprees. It's always that same top with tights, or black skinny with flats/heels/chucks.

On another point, I have friends who think paying more than $70 for a pair of jeans is stupid. Wow.

everyone's opinion on how much an item is worth is different, u've gotta accept that.

just as your friends might feel that "paying more than $70 for a pair of jeans is stupid", you might feel the same way about something else - cars, phones, gadgets, etc.