Gap Red

rocker4life

just browsed the gap site and saw their new REd line..i think its called red coz its for an AIDS campaign.nonetheless i think they have some pretty good stuff lined up and they come at a more premium price than their usual stuff.i liked two pieces in particular:

$198 jeans(i think they look good but they are priced high)i think they are greencast selvage too

gp468098-00p01v01.jpg

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=20859&pid=468098

$150 parka(i think it looks good)

gp405543-00p01v01.jpg

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=20859&pid=405543

the t-shirts fit surprisingsly slimmer than the majority of their traditional shirts. so i wouldnt be surprised if the parka fit well.

but then again, the shirts are still cut stupidly short. so i wouldnt be surprised if the parka fit like ass, either.

Half the profits from Gap (PRODUCT) REDâ„¢ styles go directly to the Global Fund to help fight AIDS.

so im guessing that not half the price will go to the fund but half the profits?

i think this red project is great but why not all the profits? i mean sure pay back your costs as a company but why does the gap need to make any profit on this stuff? to give all the profits would be something. still, i would pay the premium on this stuff if i liked it enough, just for the cause.

^^^agreed, that's kind of shitty for a supposedly philanthropic enterprise. i mean, any money is a good thing, but they could probably do more. also, cult, you'll probably sympathize with me as you own the skinnies too. has anyone looked at the women's jeans for red? they look pretty nice to me, but are they distressed or no? i just can't tell from the pics. i kind of want them, but two pairs of gap women's skinny jeans? hmmm....

Give me a break. I give them credit for giving any money to charities. They don't *have* to do anything you know. In fact, there are only a handful of companies doing this, so if you want to complain, go talk to Levi's, MHI, Stussy, etc who aren't giving a dime.

Give me a break. I give them credit for giving any money to charities. They don't *have* to do anything you know. In fact, there are only a handful of companies doing this, so if you want to complain, go talk to Levi's, MHI, Stussy, etc who aren't giving a dime.

bottom line.

they are using the fact that this is for a high profile charity to help sell their products as well as help their public image. my point is this: why make any profit (or as much as 50%) on these particular products? why not cover costs and take nothing (or maybe less, say 25%)? i mean they are selling the jeans at twice the price of their regular jeans but only giving half of the profits (not even half the retail price). if they took less they could lower the retail and sell more or keep the price where it is and give more. they could do better.

i mean it is something and like i said this whole red venture is great but why not take it just one step further?

oh and dry the rain: the womens jeans look pretty nice (im realy digging the red inseam stitch) but the back pockets look kinda goofy and i dont think i would spend $150 on stretch jeans from the gap. $50 is one thing but for that price you could pick up some apc or spend a little more and get some real japanese denim.

it's obviously not pure philanthropy -- GAP can't afford it. word from employees is that this is the "save the company" season...it's no surprise their stock has been steadily dropping as they've been losing their hold on some sort of middle-market (mainly because that market has been vanishing altogether). the decision to narrow scope and go higher-fashion, higher prices is a good one in theory, but they have years worth of reputation to reverse in the minds of discerning shoppers like those who use this board. really, this is the crowd they're hoping to get in the store this season, with the hope that we'll spread the word to others.

it's obviously not pure philanthropy -- GAP can't afford it. word from employees is that this is the "save the company" season...it's no surprise their stock has been steadily dropping as they've been losing their hold on some sort of middle-market (mainly because that market has been vanishing altogether). the decision to narrow scope and go higher-fashion, higher prices is a good one in theory, but they have years worth of reputation to reverse in the minds of discerning shoppers like those who use this board. really, this is the crowd they're hoping to get in the store this season, with the hope that we'll spread the word to others.

well... to get us in there they sould have decided against fucking up those jeans with the ugly distressing

indigo hoodie looks cool tho

well... to get us in there they sould have decided against fucking up those jeans with the ugly distressing

indigo hoodie looks cool tho

Even if the jeans were in a raw state would you buy them? I'm going to answer for you and say no; hmm you could buy $200 raw gap jeans or sugercanes, studio da'artisans, etc... I don't think gap will ever win superfuture over in the denim department.

seems a losing battle for GAP -- to reach a more niche market, they set high pricepoints and began figuring out ways to justify the price. seems like that's backwards, but, again in theory, it makes good business sense. that's the reason for the use of japanese denim, selvage, etc. it's not expensive because they want to use japanese denim, they're using japanese denim because they set a high price.

unfortunately, they're not going to impress the niche market this late in the game. even if their denim quality and construction were somehow on par with the sda's/sammies/etc. they wouldn't win over supertalk.

Even if the jeans were in a raw state would you buy them? I'm going to answer for you and say no; hmm you could buy $200 raw gap jeans or sugercanes, studio da'artisans, etc... I don't think gap will ever win superfuture over in the denim department.

well... leave out the distressing and they could easily be 150$ jeans. if the fit was good then they would be considered.

as DeadDogMasturbatoryLiterature said, ringring has spoken highly of gap in the past. i think that they get a bad rep becuse of the name and the cuts. the materials used are good.

ringring rated gap jeans

kurabo

hidden rivets

they CAN do it well, it seems they just can't be arsed

i have 2 pairs of original repro 1969 gap jeans at the local salvation army. neither pair fits me unfortunately.

but they have great details.

hand pressed hardware, donut buttons, hidden rivets (?!), 2 tone stitch, selvedge (outseam and coinpocket, not overdone) a looser 501 repro type cut and great denim.

1002487qo7.jpg

1002489mg0.jpg

1002486me6.jpg

i have 2 pairs of original repro 1969 gap jeans at the local salvation army. neither pair fits me unfortunately.

but they have great details.

hand pressed hardware, donut buttons, hidden rivets (?!), 2 tone stitch, selvedge (outseam and coinpocket, not overdone) a looser 501 repro type cut and great denim.

1002487qo7.jpg

1002489mg0.jpg

1002486me6.jpg

i had a pair of those a while back. sold them on ebay. there are 2 varieties it appears. the one you had and I had, which is a fucking terrible cut and i don't think came one wash def not dry. Mine had the exact same color. just plain terrible looking shits.

the newer batch had a crotch rivet. looked dry but probably one wash. these cuts looked a lot better, but never had it, so can't comment on the reality of the cut.

my opinion, if you're looking to get GAP selvedge, just get something else. there are plenty of other options for the price, and the novelty of having gap selvedge will probably wear off once you put them on.

I went into the Powell St. (Union Square) store and looked at a lot of the stuff. I think it is much nicer, both in design and fit than the usual GAP stuff. I am not convinced the quality is that great, though.

The tees and hoodies look really good. The jeans look okay but we are used to better; I wasn't really impressed on the superscale.

I bought the fishtail parka and a coarse-woven tote bag of vaguely military design. The parka is cut narrow; usually a Gap small is big on me, but the medium parka fit perfectly across the shoulders. I think the fit is pretty good, and it's cooler in person than you can see from the pics.

I have never been interested in having a tote bag before but these are awesome looking.

i definately wouldnt pay retail for gap selvedge (although if that new slim fit goes on sale...). but i think i paid around $5 for the pair.

when these were originally released (98-99) selvedge and repro details were not widely available and i almost bought a pair.(i was going through a heavy rockabilly/teddy boy phase).

im going to through these on ebay and see how they do.

With respect to "only 50% of the profits going to the charity", I think it is the definition of profit. The fact of the matter is that a business has to make profits (in the sense that most public think of profit) to be sustainable. Some money still has to go to shareholders, executives, administrative costs, etc...for this to be a viable, sustainable initiative.

This said, since I saw this on Oprah (I know), I wondered how they define profits. I imagine, it is the money left over after Cost of Goods Sold or Manufactured (or at least for the most part). So, I do not imagine they allocate executive salaries, and some things things like this to costs, but pay for this with the 50% of the profits.

My understanding is that this Red thing is trying to be permanent, or at least very long term idea, so it needs to be more than just a donation, but a system that can regenerate.

Make any sense?

I went into the Powell St. (Union Square) store and looked at a lot of the stuff. I think it is much nicer, both in design and fit than the usual GAP stuff. I am not convinced the quality is that great, though.

The tees and hoodies look really good. The jeans look okay but we are used to better; I wasn't really impressed on the superscale.

I bought the fishtail parka and a coarse-woven tote bag of vaguely military design. The parka is cut narrow; usually a Gap small is big on me, but the medium parka fit perfectly across the shoulders. I think the fit is pretty good, and it's cooler in person than you can see from the pics.

I have never been interested in having a tote bag before but these are awesome looking.

Pics of parka, please!