MISTER FREEDOM

thinkfilm28

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self Edge sizes are raw. It's pretty easy, actually. Just choose the SE measurements that would fit you, and size up one. Say that SE's M measurements would fit you. Then you want to buy a L no matter where you order it. If it's raw, then wash and dry it. If it is one wash, then just put it on and wear it :)

but Eddie, if a Large is 44" raw and shrinks down one full size, it'll end up being 42", that's just too small, even 43" is too small...

talking chambray utility shirt here btw, a Large would be perfect in the mechanics shirt though.

Self Edge sizes are raw. It's pretty easy, actually. Just choose the SE measurements that would fit you, and size up one. Say that SE's M measurements would fit you. Then you want to buy a L no matter where you order it. If it's raw, then wash and dry it. If it is one wash, then just put it on and wear it :)
noh they wont shrink if it s 44 then its a 44 not a 42 large is around a 44

you guys aren't exactly making it easy here, anyhow, this is what kiya said:

It shrinks one entire size down once soaked/washed.

-Kiya

Eddie, do you own the chambray utility shirt?

could u measure it pit to pit? (has it been washed?)

this the shirt your talkina bout?

thanks boys

after a day of doing the californians

rise is still too high i need to put these in the dryer top block still a bit big i think these will shrink some more

the top block reminds me of the fullcount 0105

IMG_8773.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

Kiya's raw measurements are exact. I have a couple of the chambray utility shirts in Large and they should be around 42-43" p-p after washing. I can check tonight, though. The other thing is, the body is very slim, so it might even taper towards the waist a little. There is definitely not the anti-fit you see in most true repro workshirts.

this the shirt your talkina bout?

yeah, but the normal chambray, not the indigo version ;)

Kiya's raw measurements are exact. I have a couple of the chambray utility shirts in Large and they should be around 42-43" p-p after washing. I can check tonight, though. The other thing is, the body is very slim, so it might even taper towards the waist a little. There is definitely not the anti-fit you see in most true repro workshirts.

If you could measure a Large for me, that would be awesome zissou, thanks in advance.

mine is 22 1/4 inch pit to pit i just washed these the other day

xoxo

ed

darnit eddie, this is making it hard on me

how do you guys wash? 30°, 40° what?

I would obviously only wash on 30° and hangdry...

I've always found sizing advice on the MF chambrays to be misleading/confusing.

From my experience, they shrink a half size, which is consistent with demonito and zissou's measurements.

I'm a 39" chest so usually shirt with a 41" measurement fits spot on. I've tried a one-wash large, and a hot-washed (raw) medium. The large was too long in the sleeves and body for me. The medium fits perfectly in the chest in the raw state, although a little long in the body and sleeves. Once soaked, it shrinks an inch in length, but only about 0.5" in the chest. I find the chest stretches out to be more comfortable after some wear.

In summary, the chambray fits a half size smaller than the SE measurements when washed.

I've always found sizing advice on the MF chambrays to be misleading/confusing.

From my experience, they shrink a half size, which is consistent with demonito and zissou's measurements.

I'm a 39" chest so usually shirt with a 41" measurement fits spot on. I've tried a one-wash large, and a hot-washed (raw) medium. The large was too long in the sleeves and body for me. The medium fits perfectly in the chest in the raw state, although a little long in the body and sleeves. Once soaked, it shrinks an inch in length, but only about 0.5" in the chest. I find the chest stretches out to be more comfortable after some wear.

In summary, the chambray fits a half size smaller than the SE measurements when washed.

OK, this is probably most accurate. Thanks, PP. The body and sleeves are relatively long, which is just right for me. I'll still measure mine when I get home. I do recall having a hard time shrinking the dark indigo raw shirt a full size.

If you start with an unrinsed completely raw Mister Freedom (Naval Tailor) chambray, just hitting it with cold water will shrink it to the size of a raw example of the next size down. Even at that point, the garments will shrink further if you soak them longer, or with hot water, and definitely if you throw them in the drier. This gets confusing because people are buying Mister Freedom from different places (MF, SE, J Crew, Japan etc.) and the shirts aren't consistently raw or one wash from any of these places, even when they are sold as one or the other. As Farhad can attest to, these shrink an incredible amount from raw...the medium that was more than slightly too large for him in its raw state, wouldn't fit him after a cold soak, and was actually shorter in the arms than the raw small we had in store. After this experience, we did a quick cold water rinse on the rest of the shirts we have in store at SELA to mitigate this problem for others. Anyone who would like a reliable measurement on a particular size, pm me, and I'll get you taken care of.

damn, that makes sizing harder, I was curious cause on the selfedge site it didn't say if they are sanforized or not...

so are these sizes one wash or raw, does anyone know?

http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=74&products_id=294

I believe those measurements are raw.

If you need a 44 inch chest you are not going to get it buying a large in that shirt. I have a 40" chest and am consistently a large in the Naval Tailor shirts....they all end up being 21-21.5 in the chest after a soak.

I can size down to a 38 in the outerwear, however.

The shirt Ed posted a pic of is the mechanic's shirt from the "Speed Safe" line and may fit differently,

If you are buying a shirt from the Naval Tailor line and you want a 44" inch chest I would definitely recommend getting an XL.

Visited the local Gap and all the MF Ts are 8.99 - I picked up a brown short sleeve chinstrap for 17.99

I just bought the rest and they're available now at SELA for $49.99.

That's awesome, Vin! That's no easy task either.

Here are the measurements of two of my MFSC Utility Chambrays, both tagged size L.

Dark Indigo bought from MF or SE (can't remember which) raw and washed and dried by me:

Chest 21.75"

Shoulders 18.5"

Sleeve 26"

Length 32.25"

I'm telling you, I shrank this shirt a lot even though it has very similar measurements to a raw L on SE.

Indigo bought from J Crew one wash:

Chest 21.5"

Shoulders 18.5"

Sleeve 25.5"

Length 31.5"

Denim Utility Shirt

waywt.jpg

Do the Californians have hidden back pocket rivets? Can't remember. Also thought it was interesting that the coin pocket did not have the selvage. Had them on and did not pull the trigger. The rise was throwing me. But now I feel empty inside. Maybe this weekend. Would love to see some more fit pics to help me confirm my decision.

Thanx guys, but i actually sent them back to MF and and Christophe replaced the patch for me and sent em back. moral of the story is, not to much agitation.

Call me crazy, but it looks like you boiled the top patch, not over-agitated it...unless I'm totally missing something, agitation of soak water isn't going effect a leather patch at all.

Do the Californians have hidden back pocket rivets? Can't remember. Also thought it was interesting that the coin pocket did not have the selvage. Had them on and did not pull the trigger. The rise was throwing me. But now I feel empty inside. Maybe this weekend. Would love to see some more fit pics to help me confirm my decision.

Yes, only flaw is missing selvedge in coin pocket... for that price it should have a selvedge!