Uniqlo SoHo

HisPiffness

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what RBW just mentioned:

(“Modern Japan” is one of the themes of UNIQLO’s global flagship. The preparation is well under way, with Creative Director Mr. Kashiwa Sato and Interior Designer Masamichi Katayama (Wonderwall) creating a space that expresses “the atmosphere of today’s Tokyo.”

As the centerpiece of our store, we will have a gallery space that exhibit T-shirts designed by the top Japanese artists, including Yayoi Kusama, Nobuyoshi Araki, Takashi Honma, Osamu Tezuka, Godzilla, to name a few. There will be total of more than 100 different T-shirts designed by 40 renowned artists. Artworks, books, CDs, and other merchandise will be sold on premise together with T-shirts.

Every t-shirt has been commissioned from 40+ designers to communicate their vision of Modern Tokyo. It is truly unique to see such variety and breadth of vision on the same theme. The range of work from designers, photographers, painters, animators, graphic designers, illustrators, Japanese woodblock printers, traditional Japanese stencil patternmakers and many more “on exhibit” in this gallery-like space at the center of the new store will bring this vision to life.

The T-shirt gallery will be set up when the flagship store opens. The T-shirts will be exclusively sold at the NY store during fall/winter 2006 season, after will be sold throughout UNIQLO stores around the world.)

Edit: I really think people are underestimating the opening ot Uniqlo in NYC based on what they've seen at the Jersey stores and the capsule stores.

I was across the street from Uniqlo today and they had 2 container stores. I think they were sellin shirts. I took a peek in the big store but I didnt get to see much just the wall on the right side. I will be there at 10Am to look for a winter coat.

Edit: I really think people are underestimating the opening ot Uniqlo in NYC based on what they've seen at the Jersey stores and the capsule stores.

i hope you're right since the jersey stores have pretty much only basics. i'm gonna try to stop by tomorrow if it's not too many people in line.

i hope you're right since the jersey stores have pretty much only basics. i'm gonna try to stop by tomorrow if it's not too many people in line.

take a look at the look book on uniqlo's american website, there's some really great looking stuff on there.

take a look at the look book on uniqlo's american website, there's some really great looking stuff on there.

Whoa there's a ton of stuff on there that the NJ stores don't have. I was in there and saw a pic of a great looking duffle coat. Unfortunately the store didn't stock it.

And props to Unqlo for being like the only damn clothing retail company to have an actual well designed and browsable website. Every single other place either shows nothing or is annoyingly flash based and pumps eurotrash club music.

from the unlimited chirp blog:

From the frontlines

Last night I was fortunate enough to attend the opening party for the new Uniqlo megastore on Broadway.

There was a celebrity sushi chef wielding (I kid you not) a sword on the landing between the first and second floors, slicing a live cow into fresh sushi.

There were cleaning women dressed in all black using cashmere rags (thought that was a bit decadent, although I guess it hammers home the whole we-have-cheap-cashmere point) to mop up any blood that sprayed out of the celebrity chef's chopping area, and also Windex to make sure that no fingerprints stuck on any of the many glass surfaces throughout the store as partygoers mingled.

The sushi was great, as you might expect, although my favorite thing was this system of brushed-metal troughs running around the store's perimeter. Get this: you walk up to the trough and, with hundreds of people to your left and right, dip your head in and slurp up some very delicious sake (it was the more exotic milky kind).

The two girls from MisShapes were DJing although my friend told me the other one was walking around, I just didn't see him. There was also this couple who were featured in Domino a couple months ago for their creative use of a small Elizabeth street apartment. I also saw Piotr, Sven, Magnus, Karl and Heinrich from Cloak, and heard a rumor that the guy who owns Uniqlo bought Cloak recently. There were no other famous people.

The guy who owns Uniqlo could have been any one of the many Japanese businessmen circulating through the store. If you wanted to get into this party quick, skipping the lines etc, you could do worse than be an old Japanese guy in a suit. There were more of these dudes here than anyone else. I lost count after three.

Best thing was the registers were open for sneak-peek buying and, after my share of trough-sake, I was primed for a buy. The price points have gone up since the little Soho pop-up stores opened, which makes sense, I guess, but I still got a "White Trash Greaser" padded motorcycle back protector (in cashmere!) for $4.99.

I walked by and saw the line... it looked pretty fresh from what I saw from the outside.

-lonely onlooker from the outside....

Dickle the pickle/Unlimited Chirp is retardedly wrong on so many points that I just want to cry.

Live cow? The two girls from Misshapes?

Someone needs to go do their homework, back in Iowa.

I'm going to check out Uniqlo in an hour or two. I'll report anything

interesting later on tonight.