Im new here

sadsavage

hi welcome, nice to meet you!

that shabazz palaces album is great.

elaborate on the fashion you like a lil bit! i think most folks here like fashion but mostly different sorts/for different reasons. if you'd like i can start. i really like clothes that are made slowly, sewn by hand or on old machines that require a lot of care, shuttle-loomed and naturally dyed fabrics, and interesting takes on historical fashion trends—some examples being tender co. and kapital (especially their kountry line). am also really interested in some 'high' fashion like undercover, junya, YSL, but those designs are so far from my current wardrobe / persona that i'm not sure i could go beyond appreciating them from a distance. i do some chainstitch embroidery and clothing repair and sometimes dream of trying to work in fashion more consistently, but don't find designing an entire garment a natural or particularly enjoyable process.

anyway, since i see you're a designer yourself, i'd be interested to know how you developed your style and what you draw from, and how you differentiate your approach from other designers out there (or not). cheers -ian

On 8/18/2017 at 11:24 PM, chicote said:

hi welcome, nice to meet you!

Hey man, nice to meet you too!

I'm glad you like shabazz palaces, their stuff is probably my #1 inspiration. The spacey ambient approach to hip hip creates a very unique aesthetic. They're very precise and so damn clean, very ahead of their time.

I'll admit I'm an amateur to fashion, even though I've been following fashion since early high school and I'm still learning. I'm taking a fashion design course in Ireland for a month and then I'm back to Canada in a week. After this I'm pursuing fashion design at a university. I know a lot of brands and labels but not too many designers, I'm very picky about what I like, and what I would wear but I think that's a good thing. But what I don't like is shit like diamond supply co and zumiez styled clothing, etc. I'm always open to new things.

Besides that my favorite designer is Rick Owens, and I take a lot of inspiration from him. I love his futuristic approach also to his garments, and a very dramatic style. My style is very dramatic as well. Rick knows his style and you can tell that thats Rick without looking at the label. He's also so fucking cool. Also I know it sounds generic but I really like Stone Island. Their textures and colourways, I also take inspiration. Cavempt's designs are pretty dope too I own a few shirts from them.

Kapital is veeeery cool, and experimental. They're definitely different from the rest of the crowd (this hat right here, prime example) https://shop.havenshop.ca/products/kapital-kountry-military-remake-jet-cap

And about the persona, a quote once I heard was "take an ideal image of yourself and resemble it as much as you can" I live by that. Cause you're not being another person, you're being yourself. But you do you man. 

But yeah man. I'm just looking to learn from fashion, talk to people about it and expand my knowledge, and meet some cool fucking people. Are there any cool new designers you know that I could check out? I'm always looking for something new. 

-Piaras

On 8/19/2017 at 0:33 AM, llobey said:

show us stuff u made

Yeah dude. I've made nothing too complex yet, I've made a number of t-shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 2 tote bags, and a pair of shorts. I have a lot of ideas on paper about drapery and waxed garments. Heres a pair of light indigo denim jeans I just made. Square pockets buddy. I also rubbed bleached on the legs today to give it a faded look and they're just drying out right now. I can show more detailed photos later once they're finished.

IMG_3032.thumb.jpg.a3efb1b34465587cf74d6448080f9e9d.jpg

IMG_3056.thumb.jpg.7f9cbca2a40859f1eecbccbb12cce987.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/18/2017 at 9:49 PM, leprechaunupindatree said:

this place is toast why the heck are you here

mofo cause i can. nah real shit im aspiring to be a fashion designer im trying to make connections and meet some cool shit

Edited by sadsavage

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...