Ballin' on a Budget

Supercilious

Been looking for a thread like this for a minute now. This thread is for the homeboys who are just trying to look good, but are strapped for cash; they can be easily spotted in stores like H&M and Uniqlo. This shit isn't for "cheaper versions" or for that insane deal you just spotted on those "wholesale" Balenciagas (no fakes either!). The fellows who can't afford to be ballin' every day, who need some solid reinforcement in their wardrobes. This is for unique items that are real, reasonable, and (to keep the alliteration going) raw (sorry). I'll start.

Fucking eagle shoes?! Yes please...

http://shop.kithnyc.com/products/adidas-basket-profi-eagle-black

Edited by Supercilious

you can build a faily good wardore by buying used items from classifieds/ ebay and thrill shops. also always shop smart & buy less. some classicic items like denim can be had cheap from uniqlo. they are really underatted. i say stay away from h&m except for their basic plain tee (good for layering).

Been looking for a thread like this for a minute now. This thread is for the homeboys who are just trying to look good, but are strapped for cash; they can be easily spotted in stores like H&M and Uniqlo. This shit isn't for "cheaper versions" or for that insane deal you just spotted on those "wholesale" Balenciagas (no fakes either!). The fellows who can't afford to be ballin' every day, who need some solid reinforcement in their wardrobes, shit that'll get their picture taken for less than $500 a day. This is for unique items that are real, reasonable, and (to keep the alliteration going) raw (sorry). I'll start.

$495 used egg bomber and nothing on underneath gets your photo taken at the local precinct pretty fast.

Been looking for a thread like this for a minute now. This thread is for the homeboys who are just trying to look good, but are strapped for cash; they can be easily spotted in stores like H&M and Uniqlo. This shit isn't for "cheaper versions" or for that insane deal you just spotted on those "wholesale" Balenciagas (no fakes either!). The fellows who can't afford to be ballin' every day, who need some solid reinforcement in their wardrobes, shit that'll get their picture taken for less than $500 a day. This is for unique items that are real, reasonable, and (to keep the alliteration going) raw (sorry). I'll start.

'This shit isn't for "cheaper versions"

read the mission statement closer plz ;)

'This shit isn't for "cheaper versions"

read the mission statement closer plz ;)

you don't seem to get it

unless you're making the clothes themselves, either you buy cheaper versions or you just realize you don't need to be on some dude's shitty blog. also this is not the place for this kind of shit. kop yourself some undercover or arcerteryx or geller or gtfo.

edit:... really do i need the [10] tag still people

Edited by Just Another XY

I don't think that this thread can successfully exist on this site.

from what I've noticed on my time spent here, the majority of this forum shares a pretty big disdain for "cheap" clothing. there's people on here who proudly wear their RO basic tees or their Acne black jeans because they like to show their developed taste through every facet of their outfit, even the basics that you might argue are pretty easily replaced by less expensive alternatives (to which the forum might respond "to the untrained, less fashion-conscious eye", I guess).

cheaper items that are incorporated into fits are almost always not even mentioned, because when you mention them, you glorify them. and most of the userbase here doesn't agree with you that your 50 dollar Uniqlo haul deserves glorification. Also, you stating that this thread isn't for cheaper alternatives, but then you saying that you spend your time in h&m/ qlo contradicts yourself... considering Uniqlo's merchandise is almost completely compiled of affordable versions of various items. You're not there for the quality, and they certainly didn't invent the oxford, or slim cut jeans, or whatever.

anyway, the point of this thread is kind of muddled.

not to say that cheap=bad, but usually cheap=basic, or =not executed (as) well. a lot of people trying to complete a wardrobe on a budget end up with a carbon copy of some reddit infographic. that's why it's hard to get something less expensive, that's not generic or basic, and is doing what it does well enough that you don't feel like you're wearing an imitation of a more expensive product.

I would recommend for anyone looking to rework their wardrobe with a spending limit in mind, to find a couple pieces that you really love, and save up for them. (Something that doesn't follow a trend, is relatively unique, somewhat compatible with your current wardrobe, and FITS YOU WELL is a good start). In the meantime, limit your spending to a couple basic pieces, limit your color palette, work on how things fit, and you're on your way. Find out where differences in quality are negligible to you. maybe $80 on a basic tee isn't worth it to you right now, despite superior fit/ construction/ whatever. put the money you save on that towards a less mass-produced pair of shoes, or a substantial jacket, or something. I don't know.

Then again if buying cheaper high tops satifies you, by all means, keep doing that. but don't do it on this site for your own good, or else you'll probably ruin yourself. If you think $200 is too much to spend for a pair of shoes, leave. I developed wine tastes on beer money way before I was making the money to justify my Raf Simons cops... the internet will do that to you

3/10 for making me respond with this essay though

lol

this concept is not too difficult to actually execute but you need to know a LOT of shit to make it not a gamble, spend a lot of time, have a stylistic preference that is somewhat niche, and be a bit lucky

Know how to gauge a piece's popularity and how fast it will sell out/how high a markdown it will reach

Know how much an auction's final price will be

Know how to size things based on how a designer tends to cut things/measurements

Know which stores stock which items you want and how popular they are both in their locale and in the online world (goes along with gauging how much they'll mark it down)

for example, ssense stocked that sasquatchfabrix primitive vest but nobody who shops ssense will gun for sasquatch so I just waited for it to drop to 70%/final markdowns and pulled the trigger

and then I spend a lot of time on yjp so I've found really nice pieces for really cheap (i.e. raf velcro highs for ~100$)

also people selling shit on supermarket give u a great deal sometimes so just browse heavily

The reason I don't think this thread deserves to exist is because sufu cares more about the actual piece than the price, and for those who do there are already outlets for that (i.e. good finds on ebay/yahoo, supermarket, cheaper versions, etc.)  Also I really do agree with goki that if this thread exists it'll just fucking reinforce one cookie-cutter cheap-ass sufu standard

Real talk, just cop basics from club monaco or j. crew on sale. Cop fancy outers and shoes from stores ala Nepenthes and CHCM. U look golden. Or buy supram and palace. You can't do the goth / tech ninja / undercover / soloist thing if you got no $.

^yup. 

if you want my serious two cents i don't think sufu is the right place to be talking about "ballin on a budget" when this whole forum is geared towards what is arguably "luxury" type items.
now i'm one to talk considering that
a. i do not have the first-world purchasing power that majority of sufu members enjoy
b. i am a student and thus need to work around that--i take crappy public transport in a third-world country and i need to be purchasing things that feel proper for where i am in life right now
c. despite all this my tastes are admittedly expensive; broke as i am i wish i could deck myself out in weird sneakers and nameabunchofexpensivelabels

etc etc. so instead i want to dress apropos for where i am in life right now so i can work towards a life of jawnz and disposable income. it stems from geekery tho.

i own absolutely no designer label clothing; shop for basics wherever i can get them and engage in occasional thrifting + inherited clothing (i am thankful i have relatively steezy family members) with the end desire of proper wardrobe integration. work towards an aesthetic you like in your own way with whatever your resources allow--be reasonable. that, to me, is ballin' on a budget. or at least the closest you'll ever get

worth noting i did not buy my bw campers but rather won them

Edited by PRICK DOM

copt yohji and cdgh+ trousers both for under $200.....

not recent collections or anything, but i don't give a fuck they are nice as and are going to work perfectly with my wardrobe.

what previous users have said is so fucking true. if u try to "ball on a budget" and throw together a steezy closet for cheap buying zara, h&m, qlo, aa, etc, you are going to end up within two months feeling tired / sick of everything you bought, and also feel really limited. with all the money u spent on wasted piecees u could have bought a dope ass designer joint or maybe two. i have a four pack of hilfiger white t's that fit p dope and are almost the only 'basic' ts i wear. then i have a couple viscose aa t's, which fit amazing and are on sale at aa for $16. 

then i got my acnes for under $100, then i got a pair of deadstock style made in england 1461s also for under $100 scouring ebay, picked up some uu basics for very cheap on y!jp, and before i know it i have a cool basic wardrobe that gets as deep as i want it to be right now all for a few hundred $ stretched over a couple months. i have a color tone, and a cohesive aesthetic. not shit i would blast out in WAYWT, but it's getting there, and more importantly i understand the context of my wardrobe and where it's going. keep my eye on a handful of designers, and whichever pieces i end up gravitating towards / brooding after i will save for and kop. follow those items closely on auction sites, figure out how much the demand is, judge your willingness to buy accordingly. this shit takes time and careful planning.

if u r cheap like me, that is.

i am not recommending anyone do what i did, because again, any part of this process can go severely wrong if u don't know how something is going to fit u. it's a lot of trial and error, but get one sick ass pair of shoes, or one sick ass piece of denim, or one sick ass jacket, etc, and slowly piece shit together from there. u can do it cheap freaks just do it right and with sense

Edited by insted