Gifts from America for Japan

mufasa

I'm going to Japan for four months next week and I would like to bring some little gifts from America with me to give to the people I meet, particularly the people hosting me. Any ideas what would be good gifts to bring? Something that they would enjoy? It's hard to find stuff in America that is unique to America. I'm thinking like Jelly Bellies or something but I dont know.

Take your hosts something that's regional ... something produced in your part of America that's distinct and unique, whatever that may be. Something practical or comestible is always good, but don't stress too much, cos in truth it doesn't matter. In the Japanese case the gesture means much more than the object.

Things I would suggest: Baseball/basketball/sport t-shirt, jerseys, etc., of your home-town team. If you're from a region with famous cheese, chocolate, wine, beer, bring that regional food. If you are a college student, bring your t-shirts/branded items of your college.

If you're from Texas, bring beef!

You could also bring small keepsakes from the cities or states you are around, brighton does a charm bracelet that the women might enjoy they make them for certian states, I have the Texas, and it is gorgeous, heavy, and well made, for $52 after taxes.

Things I would suggest: Baseball/basketball/sport t-shirt, jerseys, etc., of your home-town team. If you're from a region with famous cheese, chocolate, wine, beer, bring that regional food. If you are a college student, bring your t-shirts/branded items of your college.

Ditto, this is basically what I was going to say, especially the University goods which can be found @ your school's bookstore & the unique food items. Ah, and for girls I suggest hand made soaps and and moisturizers, but you might want to go for the more mild scents as American products are sometimes a bit strong for Japanese tastes.

Lastly, dont forget to pack all your explosive liquids into your carry-on luggage.

(N).

Thanks all for the suggestions! Very helpful! Didn't even think of the college stuff, I'm definately going to do that. Our school mascot is an Anteater so I'm gonna pick up some little stuffed animals w/ our school's logo. I've heard about the giftwrapping and stuff, that it's almost more important then the gift. So I'll put some attention to that.

Thanks all for the suggestions! Very helpful! Didn't even think of the college stuff, I'm definately going to do that. Our school mascot is an Anteater so I'm gonna pick up some little stuffed animals w/ our school's logo. I've heard about the giftwrapping and stuff, that it's almost more important then the gift. So I'll put some attention to that.

Hehe. I'm a UCI Alum :P

to add to what's already been said. if you are from the northeast, maple syrup is a good bet , i always bring some (i'm from montreal). also, i often brought smoked salmon, as it's a bit hard to find and fucking expensive in japan

you'll probably have a lot of opportunities for gift giving (probably more than you think) so i would advice on getting smaller things, but more of them. like someone said earlier, the gift is not really important, it's the gesture so you'd better not be stuck without anything to give away.

if you know that you will see some young people i.e. teenagers and people in their early 20's, bring some stuff from abercrombie. it's always appreciated.

mufasa, I am a giftwrapper extrodinaire, I can wrap your gifts for ya if you live in the area, or if you need some assistance, you can shoot me a pm.

(this comes from the controversy of x-mas with us, everyone knows what gifts I've wrapped, and what erik has wrapped, without reading the tags, his look lumpy to say the best of them...haha)