Mac P2P

monolith

OiNK is pretty much the shit because quality is controlled to a fascistic extreme. you can't even upload anything ripped below 192k and there's a strongly enforced preference for complete albums... you need to up 10gigs before you get invites.

i can't keep my ratio up on that site....but i was blessed with unlimited downloads over the winter time...

emule is pretty good cause you always get zipped full albums and you can find a lot of stuff in there, musics need to be really underground for you not to find it. downside is that it downloads pretty slowly

soulseek is the shit is you have a lot of music and listen to really independant stuff, cause you can seriously find everything in there. if you have a large collection, it's easy to swap slots with others with large collection so download is pretty fast always. and for 5 bucks a month, you can have download privilege. downside is that the program is complete shit and the network is always fucked, it seems that the search function works properly like every other day. i never tried the mac version though

limewire (or all the similar program) is really fast, but you can't find that much stuff and you usually have to download albums song by song, which i refuse to do. good for getting movies though.

i almost never use bit torrent for music, but i know that with a good tracker, you can find a lot of stuff...

Never used OiNK, I've never been a huge fan of torrent based trackers because I listen to really obscure shit and having to have a couple of people upload stuff for you is a pain in the ass when only like one guy has the Eye Yamatsuka x John Zorn Basement Recording or whatever.

Maybe I'll check it out, post back with reconaissance SnugglePony.

For SoulSeek, I use Nicotine:

http://captnswing.net/2004/02/12/nicotine.html

That's a rather confusing guide to setting it up and links to some other good clients for the soulseek network. I can't find the link to the pre-compiled version of Soulseek, but if I do, I'll make sure to post it here.

Edit: Damn, getting invited into OiNK is apparently a total pain in the ass. I spent like three weeks on the chat for indietorrents or whatever that one was trying to be "friendly and become a member of the community" or whatever and still never managed an invite.

Anyone know of any other decent Torrent Communities that might be a little easier to get into?