Heavyweight Boots Championships 2013 - 2015

Megatron1505

HEAVYWEIGHT BOOTS CHAMPIONSHIP 2013 - 2015

I think that it is fair to say that most of us who have more than a passing interest in quality denim, have the same intrest in quality footwear, the two do seem to go hand in hand, or foot in boot so to speak.

It has been running through my mind for a while, since seeing the horsehide boot competiton, and since bringing back the HWDC for round 2 to do a footwear related competition. I have canvassed opinion on multiple forums and social media, listened to what people have said in terms of how a footwear competition should work, and I hope that what I am proposing will tick some of the boxes that people have mentioned.

THE COMPETITION WILL RUN FROM MAY 4TH 2013 TO MAY 4TH 2015.

RULES , REGULATIONS AND SMALL PRINT

- Boots must be new, or have less than 30 wears.

- Boots can be of any style or manufacturer.

- Boots can be made of any leather.

- Only 1 pair of boots per contestant.

- The contest is only open to a maximum of 50 entrants.

STATING THE OBVIOUS

Unlike a denim competition, if you wear your boots to oblivion you will probably not be in with a chance of winning. The beauty of worn boots is in the care and attention that the owner has given them, well worn boots look amazing, worn out boots simply look worn out.

COMPETITION SPECIFIC BOOTS

As an option for the contest, just like the Iron Heart MBB's, I have sourced for the competition some of the finest quality boots, from one of our favourite boot makers, and through our favourite retailer of American work boots Bakers, who have more than generously given us a 10% discount.

For the competition boot, I had a series of criteria which I wanted to fulfill….

- The boots need to be substantial, in other words Heavyweight.

- The boots need to be versatile, wear them for working and wear them for casual and smart occasions.

Therefore, the competition boots will be the Whites Bounty Hunter, available in either plain toe or lace to toe.

There are a variety of leather, height, sole, lace and hardware options to make the boots as you would want them for the next 2 years.

On sizing, I find that Whites run at least half a size bigger than true, please ensure that your sizing is 100% correct when you place your order, as 2 years is a long time to wear uncomfortable boots.

Ordering will be done via a specific order link on the Bakers Web Site, which I will post here as soon as it is ready.

When completing your order, you will need to enter a specific code to obtain the discount. I will give you the code when you PM me to register for the contest.

IMPORTANT: Should it be found that you have passed the discount code out to none competitors, you will be banned from the contest, this is for competitors only.

IMG_5339.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

Judges

rayw44 - Boot blogging legend, and unfathomable source of information.

Nicholas Hollows - Craftman extraordinaire, owner of Hollows Leather.

coleslawyum - What he doesn't know about boots, isn't worth knowing.

Seawolf - A military man, who knows more about boot care than, well.....just about anyone.

Sponsors

Bakers are sponsoring the compeition boots, and we are actively searching for further sponsorship, as always we invite brands and retailers to get in touch should they wish to support and be involved in the contest.

Prizes

As always we invite brands and retailers to get in touch should they wish to support and be involved in the contest, by offering prizes to competitors.

Maine St Footwear of Indonesia are offering a custom made pair of hand made boots or shoes, to the winners size. I can tell you from personal experience that Maine St make beautiful quality footwear, bench made, goodyear welted, using hides sourced from world renowned tanneries such as Horween USA. The winner will have their choice of models from the Maine St range.

547BB31F-0DEB-45C7-A9BF-F4C62A40D311-22520-00001E312D6CDC9B.jpg

Sagara Footwear of Indonesia will also offer the prize of any pair of boots from their "made to wear" selection for the winner. Their selection of beautifully made, timelessly designed boots and shoes is simply stunning, apersonal favourite of mine being the Legacy IV in Cigar Pull Up.

legacy-iv-cigar-pullup-i.jpg

Hollows Leather, owned and operated by our esteemed judge Nicholas Hollows, will present the winner with a customer made belt, and a $50 voucher for other leather goods of their choosing.

6691383783_0a4dc728a6.jpg

Registration

Simply PM me.

Donations

Not required, this one isn't costing me anything.

Questions

I have no doubt that I will have forgotten plenty of things that you guys need to know, so I will leave this section at the bottom to be up dated as an FAQ section. Can I please ask that you ensure you have read this first post in its entirity before you ask a question, it's not due to me being grumpy honestly, I just hate repeating myself as I can't always remember what I said the first time.

Contestants

I have not collected any information on boots, as must people did not know exactly what they were wearing when they signed up. The contest is being run between SuFu and the Iron Heart forum only.

This is the contestant list...

HWB-01 - MEGATRON1505

HWB-02 - HEINRICH BCN

HWB-03 - HIGHVOLTAGE

HWB-04 - HEMI

HWB-05 - D666

HWB-06 - URBANWOODSMAN

HWB-07 - LOUISBOSCO

HWB-08 - EMCEEQ

HWB-09 - MILD7

HWB-10 - CHRIS

HWB-11 - BLACKFROSTT

HWB-12 - FINN666

HWB-13 - JORDAN23

HWB-14 - DIRTYSELVEDGE

HWB-15 - KHAIRILEGO

HWB-16 - GHOST CAT

HWB-17 - RKUSMANT

HWB-18 - MADMONDAY

HWB-19 - SUPERSALAMI

HWB-20 - AARON

HWB-21 - MASTERSOFDEATH

HWB-22 - SPIDEREYE

HWB-23 - JACKIE17

HWB-24 - RAYW44

HWB-25 - SKURLANDSKI

HWB-26 - BEATLE

HWB-27 - DAVIL

HWB-28 - CRAT

HWB-29 - JHC76

HWB-30 - SPACE RANGER

HWB-31 - TMG

HWB-32 - NERKG

HWB-33 - BAGOESDP

HWB-34 - VAN OLZON

HWB-35 - CLJ

HWB-36 - NATEHATE

HWB-37 - PENTASTARCH

HWB-38 - FRE-CO

HWB-39 - ZHIVAGO

HWB-40 - ORGANIZEDCONFUSION

HWB-41 - FRIDAY

HWB-42 - MVB

HWB-43 - OWEGA MAN

HWB-44 - SIMONC

HWB-45 - MIDVALLEYFARM

HWB-46 - INQUIRE

HWB-47 - ALBERTABEEF

HWB-48 - FRISSE FRASSE

HWB-49 - DRBABYHORSE

HWB-50 - JOSHLAI

Edited by Megatron1505

This sounds like a great contest, hopefully it will have more legs than the horsehide comp. I am interested to know how competitors who have already worn their boots, can be sure that they have not exceeded the 30 wear limit.

Trust :)

Sorry! Now I feel like an idiot...oops.

Don't you might be the first, but you sure as shit won't be the last :D

I contacted Baker's as their menu won't let me select any CXL leather for the toe caps, medallion or otherwise. So many options to choose from..

Well done Mega, I think the Bounty Hunters are a perfect choice to compliment the heavyweight theme.

Kyle added the CXL choices for the toe caps. I noticed that one of the new options (just on the toe cap section) is natural CXL. I would think that leather would have a ton of potential for great aging over two years. I'm wondering up if that is a possibility.

I also inquired about Horween's horsehide as an option, but haven't heard back. I hate to keep asking him so many questions, but I just want to make sure that if I'm doing up a MTO boot, I know what's available.

I'll post any info I get here, in case anyone else finds it helpful. (If no one care just tell me to shut up, and I'll keep it to myself.)

Kyle added the CXL choices for the toe caps. I noticed that one of the new options (just on the toe cap section) is natural CXL. I would think that leather would have a ton of potential for great aging over two years. I'm wondering up if that is a possibility.

I also inquired about Horween's horsehide as an option, but haven't heard back. I hate to keep asking him so many questions, but I just want to make sure that if I'm doing up a MTO boot, I know what's available.

I'll post any info I get here, in case anyone else finds it helpful. (If no one care just tell me to shut up, and I'll keep it to myself.)

Just got off the phone with whites, probably cant do a Horse Bounty Hunter (3-4 inch strips not big enough)

I have to call a different person tomorrow and try to work some magic. Will keep updated!

Kyle got back with me, no HH for the BH's. I emailed him my final list of questions concerning natural CXL, lack of heel options on the menus, etc. once I hear back, I'll start narrowing down my build sheet, and hopefully get my order in next week.

Kyle has been great to deal with. I'm sure my boots will come out perfect.

Discount applies to Bounty Hunters only, ordered through the "Bakers Custom Bounty Hunters By Whites" product on the Bakers site.

The discount code has not yet been created, so please wait for that before ordering.