raw denim becoming mainstream

sunny

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm not saying it's wrong.. I think anyone should be allowed to wear whatever they want. it's just i remember reading through threads where members said that most people wouldn't wear raw denim because of the commitment or something.

Most people won't be able to wear their jeans for extended periods out of time anyway since it's rather grubby to do what we do.

I agree that it's getting more mainstream, but I don't really care. I wear what I want to wear, mainstream stuff doesn't affect my choice too much.

I have noticed high street stores like River Island in the UK selling indigo raw denim, but it isn't advertised as such. I've noticed magazines like FHM have had little sections with designers or workers in the industry talking about Selvage and Raw denim for a while now, but that isn't really changing how people go about what they wear.

if u really have a true passion for this stuff.

then it becoming mainstream shouldn't be a big deal to you.

besides... the pre-distressed crap. is far from dying out. and I don't think the raw denim thing isn't going to catch on to the masses yet. Till they see every freakin celeb. rockin em.

The GAP is selling Japanese Selvedge denim now for $98 and it really isn't that bad. There is a slim cut called the "Morrisson" and then another really faded pair.

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=16127&pid=408895

There is nothing wrong with Nudie jeans and other people getting into good denim.

i saw that gap selvedge made in macau,probaly same place where APC makes thier denim,but they put those fake crumpled effect behind the knees. its whack and the fit sucks.

It's true that the raw look is catching on in the mainstream. But I'm observing that the mass retailers' customers are buying them because they like the dark, clean look. They're looking to RETAIN this color. They are not buying the jeans to wear them for months without wash in hopes of getting a distressed look. For them, the distressed look is exactly what they don't want on this pair of "raw" jeans.

As a result, many of these jeans are treated with a mix of resin that tries to retain the color even after many washes.

Contrast that to one school of SF thought, which is to enjoy the dark, raw, stiff denim as much as possible, but to eventually get an awesome fade and maybe a couple of knee and wallet holes.

For many cutting edge "mainstream" consumers buying into the raw look, our naturally-distressed-jeans look has gone out along with the factory-distressed-jeans look (of course to make a come back very shortly--which may be either a very good or very bad thing, depending on your thinking).

well if we spend 200-300 on a pair of japanese denim, compared to 80 at the Rack for designer label denim...there's gotta be a bit more committment hopefully ;)

yeah, i kind of like it if becomes a trend, so they can stop making poor quality pair of distressed jeans and charge you arm and leg for it. hell make 7 jeans make raw selvedge from japan looms, ill start wearing it again.