lets talk watches

poopie boy

Not really when just about every douche bag(ie: fam0us) on the street's first grown up watch is a rolex.

what would you recommend with the criterias i've listed above?

i'm actually quite concerned about the brand image. your average non-watch enthusiast would probably be like "wow rolex" but those who know more would think "airking, entry level meh".

and now i'm thinking why it even matters to me what others think. at 24, it's acceptable that i'm getting an entry level watch that's not partially funded by my parent's money. it's probably not going to be my only watch, i'm likely to upgrade in the coming years

jeebus, so much thought for a bloody watch -__-"

rolex has transcended the genre - it is just a great watch. a datejust looks great on a band IMHO, and if you can pony up the cash for a daytona, those are pretty much worn 50/50 with band or bracelet.

I own a SD, two tone vintage datejust, and the green ceramic sub. However, if I was going to get a watch with a leather band, I'd be hard pressed not to go for a IWC portuguese...

what would you recommend with the criterias i've listed above?

i'm actually quite concerned about the brand image. your average non-watch enthusiast would probably be like "wow rolex" but those who know more would think "airking, entry level meh".

and now i'm thinking why it even matters to me what others think. at 24, it's acceptable that i'm getting an entry level watch that's not partially funded by my parent's money. it's probably not going to be my only watch, i'm likely to upgrade in the coming years

jeebus, so much thought for a bloody watch -__-"

this Nomos, no bracelet though. comes in 35mm also

http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/index.php?id=388&L=1

or if you prefer non arabic on the dial, the Orion

http://www.nomos-glashuette.com/index.php?id=393&L=1

Did a bunch of searches but can't find it anywhere. What's the location of that watch repair guy somewhere in the 30s in nyc? Little shop? Possibly a korean guy? I need a band and a crystal replaced.

actually theres a dude I go to for my bracelets once in a while..east 33rd and madison avenue. its actually on 33rd ave its a tiny hole in the wall called star watch service. around the corner there should be another store..i think.

Does he stock rubber or nato bands as well? I'm looking for a two point contact nato in black ideally so that if one pin busts while surfing I still have a second point of contact (It's happened before, I was happy to have the backup).

Also, can any vintageheads/seikoheads tell me what I'd have to do to ensure that a 7002 is waterproof. I've been looking at that model and it's pretty damn hard to find one certified waterproof.

I'm looking for a two point contact nato in black ideally so that if one pin busts while surfing I still have a second point of contact (It's happened before, I was happy to have the backup).

That's great advice about the NATO style strap. Even the one piece, 2 ring versions like Maratac Zulu are great and offer so much extra protection. We live on the coast and spend a fair amount of time in and around the water (sea kayaking, for instance). My Seamaster lives on a 2 ring Zulu during the summer. I've grown to prefer the aforementioned Zulu straps and get them from Military Watch Resource, MWR:

http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

10 yr old Omega Seamaster on a gray Zulu 2 ring strap:

picture.JPG

They are cheap insurance for your watch. While I've never had a springbar break over water, I have had one break while on my bike one night. My hand slipped and the springbar just let go when my wrist hit the handlebar or brake lever. My watch tumbled to the ground. I believe alcohol may have been a factor :)

These standard/original Zulu 2 ring version straps are $17 for 20mm lugs (top strap in the following image):

zulu-styles.jpg

And they even come in lots of colors!! I prefer standard black and the gray.

zulucolor.jpg

I have to warn you...they do start to stink if you wear them outside of the water in the warmer months. I've tried the washing machine, dishwasher, bleach or oxyclean soaks...nothing removes that stink permanently. They all eventually start reeking again (the dishwasher seemed to get them the cleanest IMO).

Fortunately, at sub $20, they are cheap to replace a couple times during the summer. If you are constantly in the water, they don't start smelling for a long time.

DSC00540.JPG

Just picked this one up. 1943 Bulova Type A-11

It needs a service and I think I need to replace the hands and probably the dial... Anyone know where to get NOS parts?

That seamaster on a black zulu is a dream watch for me for in and out of the water. Wouldn't yell at a sub either but the bezel on that watch is just so goddamn slick.

However, I'm living on a seiko budget and a diver will be mine in the next few weeks.

Been rocking this for dry wear recently because it popped a pin once and i don't feel aight with it in the water.

6156742905_bbf6901450_z.jpg

That seamaster on a black zulu is a dream watch for me for in and out of the water. Wouldn't yell at a sub either but the bezel on that watch is just so goddamn slick.

I do like the look of Omega's scalloped bezel but found that Rolex's coin edge bezel is easier to turn with wet hands or gloves. However, I don't dive so it's not a deal breaker for me. The Seamaster was my first decent mechanical watch so it'll stay with me forever.

My 8 yr old son already called dibs when he was about 4 because he liked the sea monster on the case back.

You'll note that the Planet Ocean which became Omega's flagship diver did away with the scalloped bezel in favor of a coin edge.