poopie boy

lets talk watches

are you serious?

yeah I'm serious. am I missing something? is it a grand seiko or everyday nike or something?

yeah I'm serious. am I missing something? is it a grand seiko or everyday nike or something?

It's too small to tell, it could be anything. All you can tell is that it's got a silver casing and a NATO strap. If that's the look you are going for, you can have something like that for $20.

Thoughts on SBS British Mil watches? My PVD is getting pretty worked, and I'd like to preserve it a bit with an okay beater. Styling is right on for me on several models, and very inexpensive.

If not I'll just get another stainless diver.

Looking through my grandfather's stuff (he died 20 years ago) and came across this. The second hand was still ticking! Any idea if it's worth anything? Worth getting cleaned up?

imag0667.jpg

Not sure if the picture is working so please let me know.

Here is the address to the actual picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v249/fatcircles/IMAG0667.jpg

Edited by musicisdead

Looking through my grandfather's stuff (he died 20 years ago) and came across this. The second hand was still ticking! Any idea if it's worth anything? Worth getting cleaned up?

imag0667.jpg

Here is the address to the actual picture: http://img.photobuck...es/IMAG0667.jpg

it's probably in the range of 300-400. If you like it, then get it cleaned, and wear it!

Would make a decent occasional dressier watch for the times in your life you might want to class it up a little. Tough to tell if the case is pitted, but it doesn't look too worn or weathered otherwise.

imag0667.jpg

Here is the address to the actual picture: http://img.photobuck...es/IMAG0667.jpg

things like these are priceless. you can never put a monetary value on a watch like that. get it cleaned and overhauled and wear it. i myself have spent more money overhauling some watches left by my grandpa, than they were actually worth if you were to put a value to it. cheers.

the triangle at 12 seems narrow than other brands' dials.

that reminds me, the other day i saw a watch with an upside down triangle at 12. anyone know the significance?

which max bill? i was always partial to the numbered version, but the pure simplicity of the alternative has got me thinking.

the numbered version is a little less formal, right? maybe that's what seals it for me.

027-3500-00-big.jpg027-3501-00-big.jpg

Simple one for me. Unless its your first serious watch, then the one with numbers.

while the numbered watch looks more like a watch I personally would wear, the alternative definitely plays up what's beautiful about that watch in particular. forget the numbers.

oh but: the "30" in the middle of "made in germany" would bug the hell out of me every time I saw it.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/222343/max-bill-junghans-watch-should-i-buy

scroll down on to bottom of this page to see an angled photo of the non-numbered watch

my vote is still with the max bill without numbers.(mentioned in the this or that threakd) glass goes all the way to the edge like the markings on the face do and curves to match its surface as well. everything matches nicely imo.

sheeet. guys got me second guessing my gut.

i'm enamoured with the numbered sinn and nomos watches (which i can't afford) and perhaps i'm just pushing my feelings for these onto the max bill.

fwiw, it is my first serious watch. i'll also probably be donning a tan strap.

That is pretty high end. Granted, nice dress watches don't come cheap, but $4K isn't kid's watch money and Submariners and Panerais will be around forever (will one want one forever though?) a ss Dornblueth 99.1 for example would be a damn fine watch.

For the record, didn't mean to neg this. Meant to +1 it.

it's a modded seiko, no?

edit: i know yobokies has done them in the past...

ah, yokobies is great...need to snap one up one day

yeah it's a modded seiko. known as fff (fifty five fathoms). you can get info on watchuseek

Here's my A-11 just back from a restoration... super happy with this.

watch.jpg

watch2.jpg

not sure how this new 5.0 picture thing works... help?

Nice Elgin! How much did it cost to have it restored?

fr_150_size880.jpeg

My Moeris pocketwatch from the 1910s. The lugs were soldered on at somepoint. I like to think it was for combat during WW1! I still need to make it a silk satin or grosgrain ribbon strap, as my natos are starting to smell!

I have to get it reparied first though, I think I accidentally stripped the wind clutch and pinion. :-( Was ticking nice and loud before though!

Bonus pic under the dust cover:

fr_151_size1024.jpeg

^^^boy, you'd hardly even know you have that thing on...