lets talk watches

poopie boy

I think he meant DA36 plural - Damasko got some more ETA movements and made a new batch, although they also have a new model, the DA46, which is the same watch with a bezel (doesn't look as good IMO).

Set up a google alert, it's how I found mine. I'm amazed at its accuracy - it's within COSC most of the time even though it's not certified, and it's more accurate than the IWC which is 7-8x the price.

Been wearing a Seiko 5 black face/black leather straps... compliments here and there + it was affordable.

Question though, every now and then when I do not wear it, I have to wind it up because it's hours behind or even a day late. Is this usually for automatic watches? Knowing nothing really between auto/quartz... Plus the fact that my g/f scrutinizes how absurd I have to wind the watch up every now and then

Been wearing a Seiko 5 black face/black leather straps... compliments here and there + it was affordable.

Question though, every now and then when I do not wear it, I have to wind it up because it's hours behind or even a day late. Is this usually for automatic watches? Knowing nothing really between auto/quartz... Plus the fact that my g/f scrutinizes how absurd I have to wind the watch up every now and then

an automatic watch is only good for a few days max without wearing it. It's meant to be worn and will be self winding as you wear it.

they do sell watch winders for those that don't wear their watches enough to keep them going.

Need some help with Welder watches, are they all they are cracked up to be?

I love some of the designs, but I have never had a chance ot handle them in person. I havent heard anything negative, but I wanted to hear from someone who owns one if possible

Search function as usual is of no help to me

from what I can tell, the design is really what you are buying it for, more of a fashion watch than anything. nothing else about them seems to interesting (japanese quartz movement, etc) if you like the way it looks by all means..otherwise itd be best to handle one yourself

I have a 150-200$ dollar budget for a modern looking watch. I know it isn't much, but anyone has some recommendations for me?

what do you mean by modern looking? Arabic numerals? stick markers? need a bit more info then just modern, also you want a automatic? a quartz? analog or digital?

@cutup like ryan said your paying for the design and paying alot for it. not alot of watch for the money, I think welder in the watch world is like what diesel is to the fashion world

Thanks for the info gents

Now are we talking poorly made or more hype and no features? I couldt care about superior waterproofing and chronograph features ect as I will never use the thing to go diving, soley as an accessory

But a nice solid movement, and casing would be nice

@CUTUP : We're talking about dropping $500+ on a watch that's realistically worth $100 considering the cheap quartz movements they have in them.

It's not about waterproofing are "features" per say. It's about quality.

For what you're considering spending on a Welder, you could pick up a handful of the other watches that are far superior in quality and construction.

Exatly why I came to you guys, thanks. I don't like overly huge watches, I just like the military roughness edge/look. Its very tough to get a sense of scale from the pics I have looked at

any suggestions of similer styled but quality watches? Something not overly huge?

I appreciate the help, will rep all when I get off work

I think the Steinhart Aviation might be a good starting point. Any number of black/PVD dive watches would capture what you are after, and there are a ton of options with subtle differences in design and features that I won't attempt to summarize in a fell swoop. Anything from 30m water "resistant" fashion pieces to 500m+ watches, chronos, GOOD tachs, etc. are out there in your budget.

You'll get way more mileage/better taste from something like that! Seems like you might want very square lugs and possibly case screws, and there's certainly fine and reasonably priced watches that aren't ostentatious that will reflect what you taste is.

Still thinking a square pilot or a black diver might be what you're after, though.

Lum-Tec has been brought up time and time again in here as a nice alternative to some of the bigger faced, U-Boat style watches (Tsovet, Welder).

Lum-Tec uses quality automatic movements and produces a smaller number of watches per model than most. Just be forewarned, their website does NOT do their timepieces justice.

http://www.lum-tec.com

as who and ryan said Lum-tec is something to consider they have great watches for the buck. If your looking for something military themed/inspired also look into marathon watches and also seiko & citizen has alot of good picks

do you care about what movement the watch is at all? auto or quartz? also whats the max size of the watch you were considering? also whats your budget?