denim distress kit

Rockn

While I would never use it, I can see the appeal of it. I saw a couple different sets of these at the local denim shop and they look pretty cool. I believe the bag is fabricated with vintage redline denim. It also comes with a little booklet of vintage denims that have natural wear and some that have been predistressed. I can see a wealthy artsy fartsy broad digging the idea. If you like that over distressed denim look, but would like to personalize it this is probably the most overpriced way to achieve that.

I personally don't distress my jeans beyond the wear and tear I regularly put them through, and so this kit doesn't appeal to me, but I can see cases where it could be a worthwhile investment (although putting a little thought and compiling your own "kit" seems to be the most cost-effective option). First, for those to whom the look and style of worn in jeans appeal most, it is not necessarily a given that they have the time/inclination/stylistic freedom to allow them to wear in a given pair of jeans; does this mean they should a) give up and wear them dark B) pay $$ for the loads and loads of pre-washed pre-distressed garbage that floods the middle-end jean market c) pay $$$$ for the more personalized and/or better done high end distressed denim (45 RPM Bespoke, Heddie Lovu, Neighborhood, Undercoverism, LVC, and many more I'm missing) d) put a little time into creatively self distressing their own denim (much less than the amount a number of people on this board spend exercising in their jeans). So for someone working a 9-5 in a suit and tie, maybe biking/skating/sweating regularly in their raw denim just isn't a feasible option.

Another benefit to owning such a kit or similar tools could be that derived by the aspiring clothing designer. Nearly every denim company I can think of offers at least one or more styles of washed or distressed denim. If one had aspirations of success in such an industry, it would behoove them to at least be somewhat aware of how denim can be worn in and broken down at a rate greater than that of natural wear. hence, self-distressing a couple pair of their own denim might be a great place to start.

That being said, I am being a bit of a devil's advocate, for I haven't really done much to hasten the aging process of my denim, other than the occasional soak at the beginning to size them and conform them to my body. As I look down at my bc4000s, they look about the same as the day I got them, a fact which really doesn't bug me all that much, although I do wonder when they will show any signs of wear...

I admit that the prospect was intriguing, but it was never going to go down well with ST denim heads as we all prefer to wear our denim rather than sandpaper it. Then again, even given the targeted marketing of the DDL kit, the fact that they only produced an initial 200 pieces of each different pack and they still have plenty left is telling.

I have heard however, that the book is worth a look.

i have no problem distressing jeans(im wearing a pair that i did myself right now) but i do have a problem paying 300 for a kit. if you want to do it yourself, get some sandpaper or whatever else you want to use, and just do it. you dont need to buy a kit.

Man you are such a cheap mutha #&@$!.