anyone noticed this new skateboard trend in nyc?

mizanation

I've noticed ever since Vans got popular with Hyphy movement type people in the Bay a lot more people have skateboards. But all the ones I've seen actually skate. My guess is they're all people who've previously skated and felt the desire to get back into it. I'm attempting to get back into it myself but only because I suck and I want to get better before buying a longboard.

i've seen the same thing in the Bay, except it's more of an accessory. i even saw someone drive to a party and bring the skateboard into the house...that was fuckin' ridiculous. gah, then there's the kids who ride their bikes around the city (well, from class to the mall) just so they can dress the part; i heard pegged pants make you awesome.

I surfer.I no skate. Not a poze or rep of any sort, I just prefer water over wheels.

So me no talk like skater.

When I surf, I surf alone. I have a wetsuit that is 20 years old and a girl's board with pink fish on it that leaks water. I miss waves and sometimes stay for hours on end without standing up once.

I don't hang out with all the cool dudes that have been showing up on rockaway beach in the last few years.

I don't talk.

I don't socialize.

I'm not part of the "culture".

Yes, i'm seeing kids with new boards that look way too new.

But think about it.

One day.

One of those kids.

Will stand on that board.

And roll.

And keep rolling.

And never look back.

And it will all be worth it.

Don't hate.

Give them a chance.

Skateboarding is so much indefinetely cooler than hiphop.

Wanna know why? cause there's no victimology in it.

"They give us guns and wonder why we dangerous" shit.

Hey, you bust your teeth out skating, it's your fault.

Skating is much more ruthless as far as the real life application goes.

A white wigger from the suburbs is not doing 10 upstate- chances are.

But every kid that skates is gonna have to deal with some serious pain sooner or later.

Welcome the kids, help them if you can. Let's avoid the whole "who real from the hood " shit. We don't have to represent anything.

Or just wait for the magic of skating to work- it will :P

I surfer.I no skate. Not a poze or rep of any sort, I just prefer water over wheels.

So me no talk like skater.

When I surf, I surf alone. I have a wetsuit that is 20 years old and a girl's board with pink fish on it that leaks water. I miss waves and sometimes stay for hours on end without standing up once.

I don't hang out with all the cool dudes that have been showing up on rockaway beach in the last few years.

I don't talk.

I don't socialize.

I'm not part of the "culture".

Yes, i'm seeing kids with new boards that look way too new.

But think about it.

One day.

One of those kids.

Will stand on that board.

And roll.

And keep rolling.

And never look back.

And it will all be worth it.

Don't hate.

Give them a chance.

Skateboarding is so much indefinetely cooler than hiphop.

Wanna know why? cause there's no victimology in it.

"They give us guns and wonder why we dangerous" shit.

Hey, you bust your teeth out skating, it's your fault.

Skating is much more ruthless as far as the real life application goes.

A white wigger from the suburbs is not doing 10 upstate- chances are.

But every kid that skates is gonna have to deal with some serious pain sooner or later.

Welcome the kids, help them if you can. Let's avoid the whole "who real from the hood " shit. We don't have to represent anything.

Or just wait for the magic of skating to work- it will :P

I'm just going to go ahead and ignore all of the blatantly racist rhetoric in this comment, which is very, very difficult for me to do.

Man, I could start throwing stuff up about Marx and postmodernism and all that shit, but I'm just too lazy (to cut and paste stuff from wikipedia) to do so. ^_^

Or I could go biblical and be like NYC = S&G ??

But forreals tho, hasn't NYC just gotten fancier and sleeker from the 80's on? I heard NY was pretty nasty and trashy in the 60's through 70's.

And with street culture and consumerism, I don't know how it was before but it seems like there's a good amount of independent brands being blown up and that seems better than everyone clamoring for one style/brand. Oh damn, forgot about nike.

Hope someone understands this.

yea NYC used to be more dangerous place, a lot of violence. There was a lot of prostitution, peep shows, xxx stores, drugs all over the place. It's gotten a whole lot better.

the area around time square used to be an area to avoid at night, now its all bright and touristy.

oops... yeah gentrification. Hey, let's start up a discussion about class, race, gentrification and street culture baby!

Oh, and onemancult, you're not the only one who noticed the racist stuff. Whenever I see this... I just roll on over to Livejournal's debunkingwhiteness group.

there's a group on LJ called debunkingwhiteness and I haven't found out yet despite writing on LJ since 2001? Fuuuuuck.

P.S. Class, Race, Gentrification and NYC Street Culture sounds like the kind of

class I wish NYU would offer me.

"I run a skate shop in NJ and I can tell you this. There are diehard people whom I respect greatly and will always throw a hook up to if they need it, and then there are these kids that come into my shop and are just trying to play the part from time to time stocking up on the shit that happens to be cool at the moment and never truly having any recognition for the people who do this because they love it so dear. So if somebody wants their hat to match their skateboard well then I think thats just fucking stupid."

Neiratko?

Everything is a commodity. There is nothing true or real in this world. From the cradle to the grave, you are sold ideas, styles, fashions, goods, politics, and attitudes. Pretending like you're escaping it means you're just buying from a different seller.

Everything is a commodity. There is nothing true or real in this world. From the cradle to the grave, you are sold ideas, styles, fashions, goods, politics, and attitudes. Pretending like you're escaping it means you're just buying from a different seller.

minya hearts existentialism.

wait mizanation how do you know what youre talking about if you live in seattle "the true skater city" ( even though the legends of zoo york arent from seattle)... but anyway the drug dealer's lil bro's are skating on my block now and everyone seems like to like to skate now prob because it's being marketed to them big.... in the hood everyone follows hood celebs. btw i live around dyckman st in uptown manhattan

i never saw this until today. dude was wearing a really dressy outfit with a blazer and his button up matched the board. his board looked untouched and he was wearing dressy shoes. i wanted to shoot myself.

wait mizanation how do you know what youre talking about if you live in seattle "the true skater city" ( even though the legends of zoo york arent from seattle)... but anyway the drug dealer's lil bro's are skating on my block now and everyone seems like to like to skate now prob because it's being marketed to them big.... in the hood everyone follows hood celebs. btw i live around dyckman st in uptown manhattan

how're things in the dominican republic?

been living in nyc since '99 but was born in seattle. btw, didn't say that seattle is "the true skater city" i said it's a "real skater city". skating has been a part of mainstream seattle culture for a long time.

My only problem with "street trends" in any incarnation, be it the skateboarder Nike SB era we're in now or the giant crisp white tees and big diamond chains of, oh, 2 years ago is the air of competition that's always there. It's not about the specific trend or even a matter of personal preference, it's staying "ahead" of other people and always trying to one-up them. BAPE was cliched and ruined simply because people bought it because no one else had ever heard of it, regardless of whether they actually liked the clothing or not, it was "fresh" and "exclusive," the end result is now thousands of kids in Soho wearing BAPE because they still think it's the most exclusive brand out there. It's a cycle that seems doomed to repeat itself over and over again, regardless of race, class, (though the Hip Hop; "street" demographic seems more inclined to buy up whatever kind of clothing or shoes are in vouge at the time for some reason) or anything else, simply because for some reason, there is this element of keeping up with the Joneses, always trying to be more fresh and more exclusive than the next person wearing the exact same thing as you.

i heard a while back there are people in tokyo would walk around with a surf board under their arm, they dont actuall surf, they are just borowing a life styel, isn't this what trend i all about? you borrow a life style and use it to your advantage?

I have seen this for years... it's nothing new. Posers have been around forever and this carrying skateboards trend has been very apparent in japan for nearly a decade.

It is now even cooler because Pharrell carries around a board too and can barely ride it. Like someone said earlier, at least some of these kids will actually stand on the board and fall in love. Can't hate on that.

i've noticed the whole "carry around a skateboard" thing is pretty big in toronto lately as well. tons of hipsters, jocks, etc walking around carrying skateboards. i think it's getting to be almost as popular as a fashion accessory as the ipod.

i've noticed the whole "carry around a skateboard" thing is pretty big in toronto lately as well. tons of hipsters, jocks, etc walking around carrying skateboards. i think it's getting to be almost as popular as a fashion accessory as the ipod.

I noticed a few of the local streetwear shops stocking skate merch (decks/trucks/wheels/bearings, bags etc.) these days too. Also more and more of the yuppie crowd hangin' out at skate shops as well. Though I can't say I see alot of people carrying decks around downtown.

uhhhhh you sure these kids carrying around their skateboards wernt skaters who just got tierd or were walking across grass or something? how long did u look at them for 10 secs they were carrying their skateboards or longer?

what i find shocking is not when the "fashionxcore" kids get a board with color coordinated wheels, grip, trucks, bearings, etc., but when preps that used to rip on me for boarding are now hitting me up for free lessons after that guy lupe fiasco had that "Kick, Push" video come out. fucking insane.

uhhhhh you sure these kids carrying around their skateboards wernt skaters who just got tierd or were walking across grass or something? how long did u look at them for 10 secs they were carrying their skateboards or longer?

These are kids with clean wheels, unchipped boards, totally fresh sneakers, and weird

set-ups. This one guy I saw had tiny baby testicle wheels on a longboard with mid trucks. WTF? Also, when you're carrying a skateboard and tons of shopping bags from a store that stocks more Balenciaga than bearings, it's a pretty dead giveaway. Oh, and these are people who are nowhere near any skate spots, strolling through busy shopping districts here in NYC. They're so painfully obvious that I've oftentimes considered just stealing their fucking decks.