Denim fits

NatseOklim

Nashvilles aren't what I'd call loose fitting. They're not however, skinny-fit either. Greenvilles are a little looser on the thigh I think.

I'd go for the label size. Depends how loose you want them. Great jeans.

Hopefully you may get other feedback on here about them. There's quite a few Edwin fans on here.

hey ringring,

yes i will try to post some pics sometime this weekend, i am quite picky so want to showcase them well.

i saw the uniglos and they are very nice- not lest because of the price...very plain and similar to apc but didn't try them on. also, they feel a bit lighter than apc, do you know the weight? i would invest but need to slow down a bit on the consuming...

for edwins, i have sens which have selvedge line on the coin pocket and right back pocket, imo they are excellent. well made again and quite underrated i would say. in terms of fit, ring ring is dead on, they are not skinny tapered and not super baggy, they seem to be fit properly with re:to waist size.

apc def a great deal, however uniglo's are excellent value as are the gap selvedge. however if you prefer to have a 'name' i would stick with apc, or edwin nash/green. gap selvedge on major discount in london now for 30quid (about 60 us) and comparing them to quality edwin rainbow selvedge they are very close...

hey ringring,

you are the mystery man! have you seen the edwins that have the rainbow selvedge? very nice in my opinion.

can i ask you a question though? although selvedge denim has been around for ages do you think that the quality will decrease as a result of the increase in popularity currently with regards to them. we have discussed the price decrease and though one of the main arguments for selvedge was that it is premium denim that is made in lower quantities yet the gap, and uniglo are able to produce seemingly large batches and sell them at a decreased cost? i know this was discussed in another thread when you defended and explained how gap does it but my question is in the future of selvedge and how it has surged in popularity where once it was a more specific market.

Hey Kremedia

I've not seen Edwin rainbow selvage yet, although I should get a good peek at some Edwins this week. I've seen rainbow denim though (blue with various colour threads shot through).

Your selvage question is very thought provoking. I'm not sure that the quality of selvage will drop significantly for the following reasons:

1. Despite what may appear to be an increase in popularity, selvage denim still comprises a tiny, tiny percentage of the global jeans market. (eg. it's an aquired taste, not that many people like dry or one-wash denim, it takes longer to weave per square yard of fabric, it uses double the consumption, it's only suitable for straight outseam jeans etc).

2. Remember that selvage denim was a blue collar, cheap, mass market item until Levis stopped making them (in the 80s I think), so if anything, I think cheap selvage like Uniqlo and Gap is a return to the original spirit of selvage, rather than a big quality drop.

3. Companies that sell cheap selvage may not be selling with the same margins as their other jeans. So the low price may be somewhat artificial, rather than major skimping quality-wise.

4. The technology to produce good ringspun yarn and indigos dyes is probably better than ever.

There's probably more reasons that haven't sprung to mind at the moment.... keep talking...icon_smile.gif

hey ringring,

thank you for such a thought out and precise answer. it is great that denim can be intellectualised and thought in terms of market valuability and global availability.

the edwins are available at selfridges and the selvedge is in a rainbow colour. pretty nice.

i have some pics of the guccis i promised but have no idea as to how to post them?

i had to put them here...http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=992704041205

is the only uniqglo store the one in London on ox street?

2nd point - anyone know of any grey selvedge action -just standard 501 fit.

I love nashvilles, they are great! nice understated detailing. I went out with my girlfriend the day i got them and couldnt lift my leg up high enough to climb over this tiny bench as the denim was still so stiff!! Getting real nice and more bendy now, though very tough feeling.

Denim is such fun!!!!!!!!!

Ringring, how come selvedge was a cheap workers item as it most have cost more than normal denim? And why did levis stop making it anyway. We should try and compile a list of all the different selvedge colours!

how come selvedge was a cheap workers item as it most have cost more than normal denim?

Weaving technology changed. 'Selvedge' used to be the only kind of denim. Cheaper manufacturing methods came about and selvage denim became a premium product.

See this thread...

http://www.superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=817&start=1

what is ecru?

Ecru is the (light to yellowish brown) colour of unbleached yarn. Early denim was woven with indigo dyed warp and ecru weft. Weft is more commonly bleached these days.

why is left hand weave better then right

I don't know that it is necessarily better, but I understand that it makes for a softer denim after washing. Traditional denim is a right-hand twill.

• 1 month later...

Ring 2,

Kudos to your mega-posting and schooling (in a very polite way) all us kids out here. You've taought me a few things and I actually design denim. Also thanks for all the invaluable references to brands, links to online stores, and store locations.

I just checked out that link to Aeroclothing which I previously knew nothing about and I almost made doo-doo in my pants. Wrangler and Lees are my favorites for the details and for the fabric. My best vintage garments are hands down Wrangler, Lee, or Powerhouse (which look like my Wranglers). For a selvage geek Wranglers aren't the best 'cause they have the felled or double needle outseam, but a couple vintage pairs I have at work are just phenomenal.

I landed a pair of very authentic looking re-pros in Japan at a little store in Nakamegura. They are Edwin made, raw, and some special collaboration with a musician guy called Boogie Boy. They look like the real deal minus the custom hardware and patch. Have you ever seen any of the 11MW re-pros from Aeroclothing? I'm curious about the fit, fabric, and detailing. The same goes for the Lees - i would love to get them, but my legs are as long your typical runway model, so 33" inseam ain't gonna cut it.

Last question: Where do you live, and do you work in denim? I can't imagine you don't with your wealth of knowledge.

Cheers!

Moderation in all things. Hey John, it's only Fashion!

Kairo

Thanks very much for your generous words. Good to see another denim fan on here. I'm still learning about denim, and any knowledge I've managed to accumulate is miniscule compared to some people I know (and no doubt many people on here). I'm sure to learn a lot from you in the future.

I've seen the 11MW repros (although I don't know if they are identical to the ones Aero sells). They looked great. Maybe someone who actually bought a pair from Aero can give a more detailed appraisal.

Thanks again.

Kairo

Thanks very much for your generous words. Good to see another denim fan on here. I'm still learning about denim, and any knowledge I've managed to accumulate is miniscule compared to some people I know (and no doubt many people on here). I'm sure to learn a lot from you in the future.

I've seen the 11MW repros (although I don't know if they are identical to the ones Aero sells). They looked great. Maybe someone who actually bought a pair from Aero can give a more detailed appraisal.

Thanks again.

Hmmmm... not sure how you figure Sprawli. If you mean Levi's was the true originator of using Serge de Nimes with orange stitching, metal re-inforcements, and 5-pocket workwear... of course all jeans are a copy of Levi's to some extent. Maybe I'm missing something, please feel free to school me.

However I like the unique spin that Wrangler put on things with their specific detailing: Double needle/felled outseam, special coin pocket, re-inforced back pocket, W-arcuate, etc. I also love the left hand twills and Broken Twills they were so fond of using. The same applies to Lee with it's own unique take on the 5-pocket. I know you love the true true authentic stuff... but you know, variety is the spice of life. I guess we get along 'cause we disagree so effectively.

Enjoy the Southern Hemisphere.

Peace out yo.

-K

Moderation in all things. Hey John, it's only Fashion!