good hip hop

I already talked with note about this and he disagreed, but I don't like hearing anyone else over these def jux beats. I love Huzzah though (I'd never heard that necro beat).

I really dislike that Maltese Falcon shit too. It's like a weak Ghost - Underwater. or a not weird enough Camp Lo song/story.

I like dude overall though, but I think there's a bunch of NY coming-of-age references that go over my head completely especially being that I grew up mostly overseas and then I was westcoast.

I already talked with note about this and he disagreed, but I don't like hearing anyone else over these def jux beats. I love Huzzah though (I'd never heard that necro beat).

I really dislike that Maltese Falcon shit too. It's like a weak Ghost - Underwater. or a not weird enough Camp Lo song/story.

I like dude overall though, but I think there's a bunch of NY coming-of-age references that go over my head completely especially being that I grew up mostly overseas and then I was westcoast.

The production overall is really dope...and def. has some weird elements...not as dubbed out or spacey as Danny's XXX shit...but def. on some strange NY-i-grew-up-playing-video-games-and-doing-drugs shit.

I really liked the El shit...well esp. "Firemarshall Bill" and "Cockmeat Sandwich"... wild ppl have been talking about "Chicken Spot" but I would say that and the other Ox joint could have been better IMO, though "BuildABitch" does work in its somber tone and subject matter. The less nerdy, overtly weird, punchline'y you can sound over El's production, the better it works to me...that's why most of the Weathermen shit didn't move me. Exqo is clever and nice...plus has a grimey voice...so i find it very endearing over that type of futuristic production.

It also made me want to whip out Cold Vein again. Vordul was too ill.

"Maltese Falcon" grew on me...not my favorite joint though. But again, the beat(s) knocks pretty hard to me. I hear what you're saying about a less-effective Ghost (or even Doom) type pcp dream story.

The NY references are what grounds this, regionally. Sorta wraps it all up in a nice bow. Though I think the album (or his style) really isn't on some "throwback retro 90's rooted" shit...yet it's obvious that's the shit he really embraced when coming up (if that makes any sense). I guess it's the overall aesthetic. I don't see him in a tight box right now...unlike a few other really talented NYC cats...who we show love too as well...but are kind of seeming like they've hit their creative ceiling afteronly a year or so.

i def. don't see the allure in a cat like Smoke Dza... I always feel like h'e some older cat from Harlem trying to fit in and ride this younger generation's dirty south "swag wave" weedhead rapper shit. Leave it up to the good (sorta) newer southern cats... spitta, fiend, krit and 'em... shit I'll take ASAP Rocky over this guy... at least he can make catchy songs and less-gayly mention weird designer brands.

he's pretty boring compared to currensy or KRIT.

I like Rocky a lot but I think he's gonna get corny with the fashion shit. In that fools gold video he was chanting "margiela rick owens raf simons, that's good shoes" (or something similar).

Wearing rick and raf in a hoodish(lol) fit is cool and makes total sense for those brands, but making a sneaker song out of them is wack.

i def. don't see the allure in a cat like Smoke Dza... I always feel like h'e some older cat from Harlem trying to fit in and ride this younger generation's dirty south "swag wave" weedhead rapper shit. Leave it up to the good (sorta) newer southern cats... spitta, fiend, krit and 'em... shit I'll take ASAP Rocky over this guy... at least he can make catchy songs and less-gayly mention weird designer brands.

haha yeah I agree about DZA man, I just really liked that beat and honestly the highlight of that song is KRIT on the hook, 4loko conceptz. Actually now that I think about it every song I really like "by DZA" I actually just like for the beat or another rapper who's on it.

he's pretty boring compared to currensy or KRIT.

I like Rocky a lot but I think he's gonna get corny with the fashion shit. In that fools gold video he was chanting "margiela rick owens raf simons, that's good shoes" (or something similar).

Wearing rick and raf in a hoodish(lol) fit is cool and makes total sense for those brands, but making a sneaker song out of them is wack.

Couldn't agree w you more. He's a sign of the times... and no, as a native ny'er...you gotta be 15 years old if you talkin about lean around here. fuck outta here otherwise...

I kinda miss the days of dust...

haha yeah I agree about DZA man, I just really liked that beat and honestly the highlight of that song is KRIT on the hook, 4loko conceptz. Actually now that I think about it every song I really like "by DZA" I actually just like for the beat or another rapper who's on it.

Every DZA album/mixtape should be called Strictly 4 My ...Guests (Swag)