Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Karen Allen had Indy style boots, Shia LeBoef was actually pretty cool and I was on selvage watch and was pretty sure he had, but the movie was overall shitty.

And come on now, that crystal skull! It looked cheapo like molded plastic filled with cotton balls and crumpled tin foil. Way too light too, they way they were holding it like a plastic watering can. The legendary crystal skulls were supposed to weigh like 11 pounds and looked very high-tech. This Paris one looks much more solid and less plastic-like!

skull_03.gif

i just got some regular 405 indy's, size 10D. does anybody know if these should fit a little tight at first? mine fit a little tight around the sides and the top when i'm wearing regular white (not dress) socks, and i'm wondering if i should keep wearing it with the hopes that the leather might stretch out or if i should exchange for a 10E. suggestions?

i just got some regular 405 indy's, size 10D. does anybody know if these should fit a little tight at first? mine fit a little tight around the sides and the top when i'm wearing regular white (not dress) socks, and i'm wondering if i should keep wearing it with the hopes that the leather might stretch out or if i should exchange for a 10E. suggestions?

They'll feel stiff, maybe even like they're cutting into your ankles a bit. But they soften up after a few weeks. As for tightness - how do they feel in the toe? The heel-counter area? Across the front of the ankle where the laces cross through the hooks? These are areas that can bind on the Indies if they are too narrow. Till you decide, just wear them on carpet so you can return them...

They'll feel stiff, maybe even like they're cutting into your ankles a bit. But they soften up after a few weeks. As for tightness - how do they feel in the toe? The heel-counter area? Across the front of the ankle where the laces cross through the hooks? These are areas that can bind on the Indies if they are too narrow. Till you decide, just wear them on carpet so you can return them...

they're more tight towards the front, not really the ankle. mostly towards the sides of the arch of my foot, and the sides of my toe-knuckles (?). it feels a bit stiff when i walk and i'm not sure if it will stretch out in these areas. i'm afraid of the possibility that my arch will start hurting if i wear these for an extended period of time and they don't loosen up. or perhaps i'm just too used to wearing comfy, roomy vans all the time, as these are my first boot. i'm really not sure what you mean by "binding on the Indies".

they're more tight towards the front, not really the ankle. mostly towards the sides of the arch of my foot, and the sides of my toe-knuckles (?). it feels a bit stiff when i walk and i'm not sure if it will stretch out in these areas. i'm afraid of the possibility that my arch will start hurting if i wear these for an extended period of time and they don't loosen up. or perhaps i'm just too used to wearing comfy, roomy vans all the time, as these are my first boot. i'm really not sure what you mean by "binding on the Indies".

I went through so much to get my first pair that I denied the fact that they were too small. I had the same type of discomfort you are talking about. They never streched out, they did get more comofortable, but they did not stretch. They were too long and too narrow. I just placed an order for a pair of 10EE's after having worn 10.5D's Hahha. you won't regret the switch.

If your intrested, the shoe store I'm getting mine at sells them for 270 +11 shipping..

i put some sugarcane hiking boots style laces on my semi dress to make it a more less dressy..

_MG_0381.jpg

and gave my stronghold semi's black a little shine

_MG_0384.jpg

_MG_0385.jpg

when I got my 405's they were the first shoe right out of the box that fit me perfect. No tightness, no looseness... just perfect.

I'd return them for the next size or letter up.

They should fit perfect.

^ my indies were a little tight in the beginning (mainly sideways since i have widish feet), but they stretched out real nicely in few weeks. now they're almost a bit big, but that's because i'm wearing a 8.5D where i probably should be wearing a 8E.

in other words, if your length is fine, the width will most like stretch out. but if you're having problem with your length, then by all means you need to get them exchanged.

Just got my Ultimate Indy's today. God I was so excited. They fit perfectly out of the box, size 10D. Some quick action shots.

http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=007lb0.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?image=008of2.jpg

What colors of polish should I use? I want to keep the stitching light.

can't get the pictures to show, little button's not working for some reason

^ try neutral?

and reviews please!

Ah, for some reason I had forgotten about neutral. Thanks.

I don't have enough boot/shoe experience to provide a review like GregNYC, but the craftsmanship seems top notch. The welt stitching is impeccable, and as I said before they fit fine so far. I think I'll update on fit later, after spending a day walking in them. The leather is soft, already has a little scuff, but it's not cheap leather. There's already some variation in the browns after a few hours. The lace hooks are small enough that they aren't obtrusive and don't seem like they'll catch the laces that often.

Compared to Red Wing GTs, the Indy's are much lighter, the commando sole is quieter, and and the Indy's give me a better hug compared to the squeeze of the GTs.

Anything I'm forgetting?

^ try neutral?

and reviews please!

Give them an occasional going over with a tan wax too.

This won't darken the stitching niticably and will give the leather a nice colour dimension. Ultimate indies look wonderful, I am jealous.

I just ordered my White's Semi Dress. Is going down 1/2 a size the typical way to go on these?

For me, the perfect fit would be to size up a half from my indy size, but I may well be an exception to the rule.

Give them an occasional going over with a tan wax too.

This won't darken the stitching niticably and will give the leather a nice colour dimension. Ultimate indies look wonderful, I am jealous.

I agree about the tan - neutral polish is best for highlights and a very thin top-coat only. Too much, and it cakes, builds up in the creases. You'll see white flakes when you bend the foot. I use mostly tan Kiwi, and it leaves the stitching just fine. Also, to keep the stitching and welt their natural color, make sure you don't use any rag or brush that you had used with dark brown or black polish....

Hello!

I´ve been lurking around for a while now and have enjoyed this thread very much. I too have fallen for those rugged White´s boots and was wondering if any of you had pictures of you wearing Smokejumpers. I´ve seen Bill wear his on couple of pictures but that´s about it.

Wow, this photo makes me really want to get a pair of Alden's. These shoes have aged beautifully! Are these Indys?

Yeah, those are Indy's. I'm perplexed as to how one was able to get them to darken as much as they did. I wonder if these are the original darker brown leather ones that I've heard described as being worn in the original Indy movies. Interestingly, they're nearly the same color as the cigar shell Indy's... but maybe slightly darker.

^Polishing, even with tan, will darken the leather. Even though the dye in the polish is lighter than the brick-red stock Indy color. The wax and oil components darken the leather. But hopefully not the stitching!

Right, but that is a ton of difference between the stock. I just can't say that in my experience I've seen polishing changing the color that much. Perhaps this is because I haven't owned and maintained a pair of shoes for decades yet.