Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Any opinions on these?

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/28439991/c/103047.html

I'm assuming they're a watered down version of the 875 here:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/28451830/c/126909.html

Does anyone have any experience with the "inspired"? Should I just stick with the tried and true 875?

thanks

Not really feeling them personally... not as nice as the originals...

I say stick with the 875's... you won't regret it...

Does anyone have any experience with the "inspired"? Should I just stick with the tried and true 875?

Go for the classic 875's!

I think the RWI's are made in China out of lighter materials and more synthetics. They cost less. I think they come in fewer widths. They have a simplified brand logo, less crepe on the sole, and look like the made-in-China ones I saw at Dave's New York. It also looks like they have a semi-padded hiking-boot cuff. And they certainly look like thay have flat heel-counters, which would make them instantly not fit me.

riff - what kind of sole do those Trickers Burford have? I can't make it out from the photo....

Can someone with any sense talk me out of some Alden cordovan cap toe boots?

Is the 4060/4065 the same boot as the AF60?

4060/4065 and AF60 are definitely different boots. 4060/4065 is on the Grant last and the AF60 is on the Plaza last. I originally tried to document the differences here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=784879&postcount=147

Cross posting the info here:

Sizing wise, Grant seems to run pretty true to size. (I tried two on and it seemed that one was narrower than usual and the other wider than usual, so I'm splitting the difference.) Plaza supposedly runs slightly long, but I can't tell.

The way I describe the Grant last is a slightly pointy rounded toe and the Plaza last is a soft square toe. It seems to be hard to compare the shapes of the lasts in words, so I figure if a picture says a thousand words, I might as well post some pictures. I do have boots in the Grant (4060) and Plaza (AF60) lasts. Sorry, they're a bit large, but it seems to be easier to see the difference this way.

Grant last:

img9855ty1.jpg

Plaza last:

img9634croppedli2.jpg

Side by side (Grant on left, Plaza on right):

img9996ga5.jpg

Closeup comparison on toes (Grant on left, Plaza on right):

img9997uh6.jpg

img0002compositepy5.jpg

img0004editedat5.jpg

^Big ups amlai, good for Alden fans everywhere!

Thanks, one thing to note is that they really do look even more different than they do in the pictures. I think it is because the toe on the Plaza last is much flatter and has a bit of a chisel toe going, which is really hard to capture in the pictures, particularly from overhead. (You can see this difference most in the side view.) The Grant last is much more of a traditional rounded toe.

Seeing those pictures really makes me want to get rid of my as yet unworn wingtip plaza boots and get a pair of cap toes on the grant last...the grant last is more up my alley, and as beautiful as the wingtips are, I can't see myself wearing them with jeans, an idea largely supported by the fact that I haven't been able to de-virginize them after owning them for over 3 months. Look for size 7's in supermarket next week.

4060/4065 and AF60 are definitely different boots. 4060/4065 is on the Grant last and the AF60 is on the Plaza last. I originally tried to document the differences here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.php?p=784879&postcount=147

Cross posting the info here:

Sizing wise, Grant seems to run pretty true to size. (I tried two on and it seemed that one was narrower than usual and the other wider than usual, so I'm splitting the difference.) Plaza supposedly runs slightly long, but I can't tell.

The way I describe the Grant last is a slightly pointy rounded toe and the Plaza last is a soft square toe. It seems to be hard to compare the shapes of the lasts in words, so I figure if a picture says a thousand words, I might as well post some pictures. I do have boots in the Grant (4060) and Plaza (AF60) lasts. Sorry, they're a bit large, but it seems to be easier to see the difference this way.

Grant last:

img9855ty1.jpg

im not a big fan of square-ish toes, but the 4060 grant last is beyond great. many ppl have probarly asked and answered this question before, but does any store in europe retail the alden 4060 shells? if not, where in the rest of the world are they to find, since i cant seem to find them online?

im not a big fan of square-ish toes, but the 4060 grant last is beyond great. many ppl have probarly asked and answered this question before, but does any store in europe retail the alden 4060 shells? if not, where in the rest of the world are they to find, since i cant seem to find them online?

http://www.theshoemart.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?&vendor=ALD&template=men&browse_vendor=1&category=MDB&item=ALD_m_CAP_TOE_BOOT_SHELL_CORDOVAN&ps=5&start=3&rpro=

Ok, so here's a question about maintenance in the snow and salt. I did a search, but only found a reference to GregNYC using Sno Seal.

Is it ok to let the slush and salt dry on a pair of boots (in my case some RW 8138's) for a couple days or so, or do you wipe them off with a wet rag or paper towel when you get home on a daily basis?

I've been trying to keep them clean, but after a few months of trudging through the snow (although I do not wear them everyday) they look pretty new. However over the past week I've just been letting the gunk stay on there and now they're starting to get what looks like water stains where the upper meets the sole.

What are some other people's cleaning habits?

ang - wow, are those your shoes? That transformation itself is a good answer to someone here who earlier asked why leather soles. It's an entirely different attitude towards shoes and the things of life.

Steez, never heard of that nickname before. Every once in a while on sf and Ask Andy and Fedora Lounge. But for erotica-free boot chat, this thread is the place! (puns and riffs welcome!)

Greg — not my shoes. Those are the shoes from the photoessay on styleforum you posted. I just thought it would be good to show them here as well.

Braidkid:

As far as I know they are the same apart from the colours that they are available in. I think they are on the same last and they both have a double leather sole. I believe the weatherby is also the same except for a full bellows tongue.

Some trickers models vary very slightly in this way, like the Stow and Malton which are essentially the same boot with a different sole and tongue.

I don't know for sure but this is what I have figured out after speaking to David at the factory shop and looking at various models.

Is it ok to let the slush and salt dry on a pair of boots (in my case some RW 8138's) for a couple days or so, or do you wipe them off with a wet rag or paper towel when you get home on a daily basis?

I'd get that stuff off the shoe every day. Almost any kind of protectant, silicone or not, is better than nothing when it comes to salt. Salt can really eat into the leather, destroying the surface, and getting deeper and deeper, eventually making the leather brittle. Here's a pic I found - not a shoe but:

leather.jpg

Can someone with any sense talk me out of some Alden cordovan cap toe boots?

Is the 4060/4065 the same boot as the AF60?

I am also interested in a lighter tan boot. These Tricker Burford's look like they fit the bill but dont appear to be available online in the states...

http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/explorer/img10561281887.jpeg

Anyone know of anything available that's similar?

I haven't a lick of sense anywhere in my body when it comes to boots, BUT, since I'm a proud parent of pair of 4060's, I thought I'd chime in....

The fit is great...Grant is very forgiving and comfy. They'll give you good variety paired against your Semi-Dress...#8 is just so tasty...

THEY'RE FUCKING AMAZING! You want them, you'll love them.....join us all in credit card debt hell.....

Funny thing is that the guy in the Alden SF store told me that the Grant last was the worst last to sell in any model and the also least forgiving/most specific of the bunch.

Maybe even more funny is that I trust you guys in this thread more...

I would trust the Alden guy's opinion also.... Personally I found the Grant to be as full cut and comfortable as Trubalance and Aberdeen

Thanks Bill for your advice...

I decided to go with a pair of Tricker's Burford in Marron color from pediwear.com. I love the horse-butt alden's but figured I needed something lighter in color to justify my purchase.

Can't wait to show pics once they arrive.

They should look like this...

http://store.yahoo.co.jp/tigers-brothers/trickers-5.html

I would trust the Alden guy's opinion also.... Personally I found the Grant to be as full cut and comfortable as Trubalance and Aberdeen

Well, I've tried 2 pairs of 4060s of the same size on and one was really not full cut and was what I would describe as very narrow. The other one (which I bought) is almost too large and I would definitely describe as roomy.

I cant believe I am quoting myself but......went to pick them up today and they did not fit!!!! It was like santa showing up and forgetting your present (even though I am jewish) It was awful. So, they are going to try to stretch them which takes about four days and I will be able to pick them up about next tuesday. They did look amazing though. stay tuned for pics next week.

...any news on these, Blake? I'm curious to see how they turned out. Thinking about having custom wesco jobmasters made myself...

hmmm

i've been trying to figure out the model of my trickers, I bought them like 2 years ago.

look like they could be burfords

sorry for the crap pics, havent taken any new ones in a while.

249582651.jpg

249582642.jpg

they need to get resoled pretty soon and I really like the commando soles on my Alden wingtip boots so I'm thinking something along these lines.

303572218.jpg

303572219.jpg

pics courtesy of alden-of-carmel.com

Pretty sure if I bring in my Aldens along with the Trickers the cobbler could figure it out

But any recommendations from you resoling junkies?

Pretty sure if I bring in my Aldens along with the Trickers the cobbler could figure it out

But any recommendations from you resoling junkies?

Not to beat a dead horse, but unless you have someone local that you completely trust, call Greg at Eddies Shoe Repair and tell him what you are looking for. Even more impressive than the actual workmanship, is the communication and attention to your preferences...Greg is more concerned with what you want and doesn't let his own preferences, or the way he normally does things influence the job that you want done, which has always been my biggest problem with shoe repair guys.

Braid - thanks, saw the pics of the Trickers, they look pretty good.

tmadd - another thing I like about Eddie's is that they understand what I'm trying to do conceptually, and put it into form on the shoe itself. With Jim's in NYC it doesn't work unless I spell out all the details. And who knows if I ever think of them all??