Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Insoles? We had a discussion about that a week or so ago. Most boots I don't use insoles with. Only my Indies and my RW 875s. In my Indies I use Crockett & Jones premium polished leather insoles. They are thin and strong, and dampen the heel padding that I need in those shoes. In the 875s I need to eat up a bit of room, so I use Mephisto Runoffs, as they are thick, padded and orthopedic-feeling, and more comfortable than anything other than a custom orthotic. I've tried gel inserts and they are evil.

I've got a pair of Frye boots that I got about 3 years ago. (I'd take a picture, but I'm in Florida). I never thought I'd wear them, but as they wear and age, they're starting to look better and better.

87290SDL.jpg

they look similar to these, I think these are mens. Mine are womens, but same colour.

what insoles are you all using? i don't have insoles in my RWs. Filson has some cork ones I was thinking about. I just know I hate those green ones from the drug store.

...i actually don't use any insoles and my feet feel fine in them...

I'm liking the RW 1911s. I like their look better than Whites, and a bit better than Indies too because of the Indies' moc toe. They're not the most comfortable boots in the world, but I'm gonna work with them because I like the vintage look so much. The waxed cotton laces are about the best ones I've ever seen. Here are lots of pics. The ones with LVC 55's were taken in the mirror:

1911.jeans2.gif

1911.jeans1.gif

1911.front.gif

1911.side.gif

1911.sole.gif

1911.sole.close2.gif

1911.heel.close.gif

1911.sole.close.gif

1911.lace.gif

Alden of Carmel doesn't have the #8 colour and the one on the shoemarkt don't have speedlaces.

The ones at the Alden shop in NYC also don't have speedhooks. The 4060s usually seem to only have eyelets. It seems that occasionally they have the hooks though. I've been wondering if Alden can retrofit my boot to have the speedhooks.

Did someone say Shannon?

eg_5.jpg

On the 82 last in (ironically given the forum this thread is on) midnight blue antique. It's not a great shot, their beauty is elusive to photography ;) I have another pair on order due in January, hopefully in time for my 30th.

Are these made to order only? I haven't been able to find balmoral boots in any store around Sydney. I can't even find internet shopfronts that stock balmoral boots.

hi, for those of us who are not so fortunate to get Tricker's Stow boots/brogues locally, where's the best place online to get them? Pediwear?

Also would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on Tricker's sizing, I'm a 10 or 10.5 D/E in Redwings.

Thanks in advance

I'm liking the RW 1911s. I like their look better than Whites, and a bit better than Indies too because of the Indies' moc toe. They're not the most comfortable boots in the world, but I'm gonna work with them because I like the vintage look so much. The waxed cotton laces are about the best ones I've ever seen. Here are lots of pics. The ones with LVC 55's were taken in the mirror:

1911.jeans2.gif

Those are really nice. It takes a little bit to break them in, but you'll love them. And you're right about the shoelaces.

Overall superb craftsmanship.

I've got a pair of Frye boots that I got about 3 years ago. (I'd take a picture, but I'm in Florida). I never thought I'd wear them, but as they wear and age, they're starting to look better and better.

87290SDL.jpg

they look similar to these, I think these are mens. Mine are womens, but same colour.

my wife has these...

they're nice - pretty shade of brown. i can only imagine how much nicer they'll be when they get broken in a little.

Are these made to order only? I haven't been able to find balmoral boots in any store around Sydney. I can't even find internet shopfronts that stock balmoral boots.

Yes, Shannons are MTO only (even at the London store) unless a shop decides to place an order for themselves and stock them. However, I have yet to see anyone do that.

Thanks, thing is that I'd like to be able to try them on.

You might not be able to try on the boot, but they are on the Grant last, you should be able to try on any Grant shoe to get your right fit.

I have a pair of 10E NIB which should be on ebay soon.

Legacy - the 1911's are kind of flat and hard inside. Old-skool leather insoles. And since they are also long and narrow for my feet and very stiff along the sole, my heels slip upwards. So I need to take up some length. In addition to tongue pads, I have Mephisto Runoff insoles. They are the best contoured insoles I've ever tried, and I've tried a bunch. None of that artificial bouncy gel feeling - the Mephistos are made of leather and rubber. In fact, I wear them in my RW 875s too.

Cotton Duck - about speedhooks - just my own preference here, but if I had the choice on a given pair of boots, I'd prefer not to have speedhooks. They catch on my pant cuffs. In several pairs of boots, I'm thinking of getting speedhooks changed to regular lace-holes.