Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

My Whites Semi Dress came today. Nothing that hasn't been shown here before really, but these are mine.

100_4422.jpg

Unboxing

100_4423.jpg

Carefully unwrapping the first one

100_4425.jpg

Crappy picture of the bottom. Very nice waist for a rubber sole.

100_4428.jpg

Boots

100_4430.jpg

Together with the whole family:

Alden Cigar wingtips

Alden #8 Indy Boots

Whites Semi Dress

Whites Smokejumper

Russell Mocassin Hiker

thats just the asian squat....

next he is going to hock a big loogie at the camera

(disclaimer: i know these are mostly chinese "habits", and that other asian cultures are more sophisticated)

chinese habits???

oh shit, that lineup is gangsta.

Is that the standard White's Vibram 700 sole? Any special options on your pair?

I like how whites does their integrated vibram much better than either their double leather, single leather, or the thought of single leather with an aftermarket topy. whites on one of their vibrams is the way to go, 700 or 430.

edit: oops I had no idea what a vibram 269 is. good to know

How old are those smokejumpers? They look really good, and a lot different than the ones I ordered. What are the special customizations you had on them?

My Whites Semi Dress came today. Nothing that hasn't been shown here before really, but these are mine.

100_4430.jpg

Thanks everybody. I love my boots.

The new whites - yes it's a #269. I guess I thought someone else here had a pair. The waist on the sole is very nice. They use Quabaug heels too which is only interesting because they have both the Quabaug and Vibram logos on the bottom. The only things out of the ordinary on them is the #369 and eyelets all the way up. I love them. They fill the gap between the #8 indy's and the Russells perfectly. Just a great boot.

jiomitori - Where my semi dress say 8C 02 08 my smokejumpers say 8D 39. They can't possibly be from 1939, the soles are wrong for that. So without a date code I have no idea when they are from. They're from ebay so their past will remain a mystery. The soles are attached with brass screws though which is very cool and I haven't noticed that on any more modern pairs.

It took me a few days but I read through this whole meandering thread. Could some of you comment on the comfort of your boots, pertaining to weight and flexibility.

Im looking for some new boots with some of the same properties as my current shoe of choice, the Clarks desert boot. I like them because they are 1)light 2) flexible 3)low profile. Im looking for something in leather that will last longer and complement my suede.

How does a leather sole compare to crepe in terms of weight and flexibility?

X-posted from the market.... buy these boots!

A pair of the 1st edition, Limited run Paul SmithxTriumph boots from a few years back. They are new with the stickers on them still, but sold without the box. These have not been worn, tried on, smelled, or even looked at! Retail was over $600, asking $400 shipped U.S.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493-1.jpg

How does a leather sole compare to crepe in terms of weight and flexibility?

Leather will (as a rule) be heavier and stiffer. Single leather is pretty light and flexible but it has functionally no cushioning.

Crepe is what it is and there is a reason it's used. It's light, flexible and comfortable. If you really like crepe then buy crepe, other soles are.....different.

thank god theyr not my size..

+1 (I would take the stickers off though)

So I'm ordering a pair of Tricker's Burford 8 eyelet Logger's, and thought some might like to see their MTM process. The boots take about 12-14 weeks to make and cost £375. A little on the pricey side, but they are exactly what I want. My first pair is going to be in all black with a double leather sole. I'm already thinking about a second pair, which will probably be in espresso. Anyways, here are the pics...

DSCN3854.JPG

DSCN3857.JPG

I also went to Jim's on 59th last week for some new soles. The leather soles on my Frye Brando lace up's were almost to the welt on the toe, so they put on some Vibram mini lugs and cleaned up the boots. They did a great job and the total was under $50. The boots look better now than they did new. I might need to pick up another pair in cognac now, since they are no longer being produced.

DSCN3851.JPG

DSCN3852.JPG

100_4430.jpg

Together with the whole family:

Alden Cigar wingtips

Alden #8 Indy Boots

Whites Semi Dress

Whites Smokejumper

Russell Mocassin Hiker

Damn this is a nice collection. I've been waffling between exactly that Indy and the Whites, and this doesn't help. I want them both.

Funny this is I found this thread late. Read the first 15 pages (when you only had the Russells) then jumped 2 years forward to find this. Nicely done.

I dont THINK this forum is the greatest fans of fryes. I really like them, so I rocked the for a year with these results:

DSC02734.jpg

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

Theyre done though. and I'm selling them, but have no idea how much a pair of worn fryes with a dog bite would fetch.

Damn this is a nice collection. I've been waffling between exactly that Indy and the Whites, and this doesn't help. I want them both.

Funny this is I found this thread late. Read the first 15 pages (when you only had the Russells) then jumped 2 years forward to find this. Nicely done.

Thanks. I finally don't have any 'holes'. My Russells were first and the wingtips were next and the gap between them was HUGE. It's a much smoother transition now. It's great to wake up and choose.

As far as the whites vs Indys. I don't have regular Indys. only the shell, but they are very similar boots aestetically, they just come at it from different ends. I would say that stitching, materials and craftsmanship are equal in both. Whites makes boots and Alden makes shoes. Whites is making the most refined shoe like boot they can and Alden is making the most boot like shoe they can and they hit very close to each other. They do have styling differences, the heel, the larger welt on the Whites that sort of thing and those are important to the feel of the boot.

In the end, the Semi dress is a boot and you wouldn't be afraid to do booty things in it. Go for a hike, shovel the show, push someones car out of a ditch, boot stuff. The Alden at it's heart is a shoe and I think it's much better suited to the shoe stuff that makes up 99% of the lives of 99% of us.

Really, you probably need both. :)

.....Whites is making the most refined shoe like boot they can.......

Or so you've been led to beleive..... Just wait my friends....just wait.....

Or so you've been led to beleive..... Just wait my friends....just wait.....

Sigh...as if I need further reason to remain entranced with this thread. Time frame?

Seriously, this stinky shoe thread/shoes in general is perilously encroaching upon watches as my #1 interest. I believe I'm on the precipice of something along the likes of familyman....zero to however many pairs in 2 yrs, maybe 1? Perhaps months?