Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Well I dont think ill be talking to any retailers anytime soon, but if ill do I will certainly ask, the same question is really bugging me, between brands that are all UK bench made hand welted etc there seems to be a £50, £60, £70 price difference and id like to know if its paying for a more desirable established brand or if there is a difference in materials or constructions or finishes.

I can’t decide between these two.

I'd have to see them in person to see if my opinion holds but I think the stow has a much more attractive toe box. That alone would sell me on the Trickers. At this price point I think it's worth it to spend a bit more to get a boot that you truly love over one that's just pretty nice. These boots will last a LONG time so get exactly what you want.

Greg, thanks for posting those indy pictures a while back. They did an excellent job showing the true shape of the toe and I'm even more in love. I'll be excited to have a pair of Indy's on the shoe rack.

Found these 2 pairs of english made shoes at the local thrift store... The black ones are Alan McAfee's in pretty good condition, but I can't ID the other pair... On the sole the print is almost completely gone (couldn't even photograph it), but I can make out the letters "A&S", then some sort of logo or text, then "Prestige". The heel says "Sterling". I think they have a really cool antique fading, though they've also taken a beating or two...

And the price? $6 a pair! :D

dsc04880dq0.jpg

dsc04881bz4.jpg

dsc04882ih1.jpg

dsc04885js0.jpg

dsc04886qa5.jpg

What shirts do you wear with jeans?? They aren't as exciting as boots and jeans, but it is something ya wear (almost?) every day!

Here are some pics of mine - stolen from the internet, since I'm writing this at work:

T-shirts in the summer:

sbsr-tL.jpg

TEE6044_BIG.JPG

My bicycle T-shirts:

ostshirt.harley.rear.jpg

Casual shirts in the para-military mode:

Carhartt:

s113stn_01.jpg

Repro of the navy chambray work shirt:

chambrayshirt.JPG

I don't have this Buzz but have it on order for the summer:

scbrusnshirt.jpg

And I like mock-turtle necks. LL bean are cheap -

M18162_Black.jpg

And then the Brooks-Brothers / J. Press / Charles Tyrwhitt - but no neckties or French cuffs for me...

797E.jpg

432G.jpg

And recently I had some bespoke shirts made by Kelly at:

http://www.hongkongcustomtailor.com/

And how about youse guys??

I wear about anything with jeans. T-Shirts, button down shirts. etc. Leather jackets, blazers, etc. I just try to be careful when I wear a denim jacket and jeans. It has to be done right.

I got these at a local thrift store 3 years ago, no brand markings whatsoever. Full leather welt sole, very precise perf work, solid stitching etc. I have no idea what they are though. Excuse the jeans. $6.99

dsc04012.jpg

lookin good tarmac, not too bad with jeans

I couldn't resist getting these on ebay:

bootssc2.jpg

They're Allen Edmonds dress boots. I'd really been wanting a brown cap-toe, so these fit the bill. The leather is a much richer color and are more reddish. I'm about to relace these like tarmac has done, they took forever to get on as they are. I was thinking that these dress boots might be too dressy for jeans, but they really work fine.

lookin good tarmac, not too bad with jeans

bootssc2.jpg

They're Allen Edmonds dress boots. I'd really been wanting a brown cap-toe, so these fit the bill. The leather is a much richer color and are more reddish. I'm about to relace these like tarmac has done, they took forever to get on as they are. I was thinking that these dress boots might be too dressy for jeans, but they really work fine.

Just goes to prove that not all AEs look completely boring, blobby and conservative. Good catch!

Sure they'd go with a suit

Suits are hard to find in my size (36R) so, I've been trying to find good deals on slacks and sportcoats until I can afford a Thick as Thieves or a good deal on a solid navy suit with good construction. Suit-wise all I have to work with at this point is a cheap gray flannel and a black Versace (black shoes only, blah), so I've got a ways to go. I've got a year til graduation, which leaves me some time to hunt.

bootssc2.jpg

These are really, really nice. What I particularly like is the bal/oxford cut, as opposed to the usual blucher cut in most of the boots. These are about as versatile as a boot can get, IMHO. Does anyone know the style name?

If I were looking for Clapton Red Wings, I'd try these, from Drew's Boots.

http://drewsboots.com

They're in Klamath Falls, Oregon. That's the town I used to go to get my sandpaper-stiff indigo Levis with my cowboy-grandfather every summer before the age of stone-washing. I'm not sure it was Drew's we went to, but in Klamath Falls, they knew their shit. So Drew's sells something like the Clapton - they say they are made by White's but they aren't on the White's website. You can remove the dippy tongue-guard.

E308CW.jpg

Here are some other Drew's:

Drew208MV.jpg

DCW8MV.jpg

A few people asked me for pictures of the Allen Edmunds Leeds. So here they are. I have them in shell cordovan and calfskin. They are both great, both smooth and highly polished, better now than in the photos. Their shape is way better than anything Alden makes in a plain-toe blucher. They are double-leather thick soled, with a great curved last, much better than my photos, taken when I didn't know how to avoid a blobbish look. I can't think of a better black shoe to wear with khakis. They look great with jeans too, which is how I sneak my Sorahikos and LVCs to the office. The shoes dress them up! It is one of my favorite lasts, though I don't know the number.

AE's photo:

Leeds_display.gif

My photo:

shoes.leeds.gif

With my Corcorans:

l.all.shoes.gif

johnbull01.jpg

johnbull02.jpg

Just got a pair of these in the mail. A pair of John Bull (I think pre-Blundstone purchase, but I'm not sure) safety boots for $47AUD off ebay. Needed a pair of casual boots since my RMWs are too formal for everyday use. The boots are much more redder in the flesh than in these photos. (Nokia camera phone). For the curious, that's the hem of my Ande Whall Cougars.

I never posted these before (here or on SF). I have very few black shoes (brown just looks nicer and gets nice patina) but these are the nicest I own. Charles Tyrwhitt/Loake brogued calf leather ankle boot. These were sold a few years ago by CT, I never got any back then then I came across a pair on eBay.co.uk and snagged them...

img2675bc7.th.jpg

img2673ed7.th.jpg

That's a really nice boot skalogre. I too prefer brown (or burgundy) for footwear but I keep thinking that I really do need at least one pair of black.

I have a few pairs of black shoes, nothing spectacular (all discounted or used). Two AEs (Park Avenue and Hastings) and two CT boots (the ones above and a plasticky corrected grain chukka).

I definitely need more burgundy though. We need more burgundy shoe pics!

Hey Skalogre - I have lots of black and am just getting into brown as a shoe color. I'm over my greenwich-village-black-outfit mode! And of course the best patina and the best leather tones are in brown.

White's countdown - I called them yesterday - 4 weeks till delivery of the Semi-Dress!